Performance issues with Intel NUC

politby

politby

Greetings,

I have just purchased an Intel NUC model DN2820FYKH intended for use with Media Browser classic. I have installed Windows 8.1, Windows Media Center and the latest MBC beta as of yesterday. Also the DVBlink network client and the Shark007 codecs and finally MPC-HC. This is a configuration I have been using on a whole bunch of different systems including some much lower end ones than this NUC.

Unfortunately the MBC performance is terrible. It loads as fast as usual but once I get past the home menu it becomes as slow as molasses. The usual butter smooth navigation is gone, navigating around in the library is a jerky mess. Active backgrounds stutter and freeze.

Playback in MPC-HC is perfect however so it seems this problem is limited to the MBC UI.

Is there someone else who is using this exact model of NUC?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I suspect the graphics card/chip.  The animations in WMC are much more demanding than video playback (more akin to gaming).  What is the graphics capability of that machine?  Make sure you have the latest/proper graphics driver.

politby

Well it's Intel integrated graphics but I cannot find any information as to which exact version. Probably on the HD 3000 level.

There are no problems with Windows Media Center itself, navigation is as smooth as always, live TV works perfectly as well as playback of recorded TV. MBC is obviously much more graphics intensive but I have never seen this problem with MBC, not even on hardware much less capable than this NUC, which is why I wondered if there had been some changes in the more recent versions of MBC causing it to be more resource intensive.

The only thing I can think of which is unique to this particular machine is that this is the first time I run MBC over wifi. It is however a 5 GHz network and the machine is less than 3 meters from the nearest access point.

which is why I wondered if there had been some changes in the more recent versions of MBC causing it to be more resource intensive.

Just the opposite actually.  The last two cycles have introduced a lot of performance optimizations.

One thing you could try is reducing the max size of your images (advanced config page).  If that helps, it may point to the slower network.