Using ARTISTSORT for my Music Library

normd

When I click on Music, the listing of my music artists are First Last.  In my albums/songs ARTISTSORT tag, I have Last, First.  However, when I put ARTISTSORT in the Sort name under Music Metadata, it does not seem to sort using this tag.  Am I putting the tag for sorting in the right place?

post-30248-0-38632000-1425354882_thumb.png

norm.dallura

I want my artists to appear sorted by their last names, not their first names. . Every media server, including Media Browser, I've tried sorts by first name. For example, John Mellencamp shows up in the J's, not the M's. His ARTIST tag is John Mellencamp. I would like his albums sorted so he appears under the M's. I've set the ARTISTSORT tag to Mellencamp, John. Does Media Browser support sorting using the ARTISTSORT tag or is there a better way to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pais

You want to change the Sort Name for the artist. You can do this via manually editing the Sort Name field for the artists.

54f649abebef1_Capture.png

54f649b8cbffc_Capture2.png

Edit: Should have mentioned that the artist Sort Name comes from artist.nfo, not the ID3 tags.

Edited by Pais

well i don't believe there is a sort name value in id3 tags. if there is then we could certainly use that.

I don't want to edit each and every album, when I have already done that in iTunes.  The albums sort correctly in iTunes if I set the album "sort as: to Lastname, Firstname.  So in the attached example in iTune Anna Nalick shows up under the N's, not the A's/  In Media browser the music shows up in the A's, which is not the way I think it should be.

I was hoping there was a setting in Media Browser to use the ARTISTSORT or ALBUMSORT tag to organize all of my music instead of it being sorted by the ARTIST tag.

post-30248-0-63565500-1425435106_thumb.png

So it seems that there is no way Media Browser will sort my music based on another tag, like ARTISTSORT, correct?  There is no way an have Dave Mathews under the M's unless I change the ARTIST tag.  Is that correct?

Deathsquirrel

Correct that you would have to change SOMETHING.  Artist would not be my pick since there is a sort field designed for exactly that.

Can someone tell me what that something is I need to change to get albums to show up sorted on the last name, so John Mellencamp is in the M's not the J's?

Happy2Play

Currently you have to manually input each sort name to your preference (post #4).

You could submit a feature request to add ArtistSort as a sort option.