Turn off Transcoding for audio

FrostByte

FrostByte

Is there any way of turning off transcoding of audio, or adding an option?  I have a bunch of rips I made with Dolby TRUEHD and they are all being transcoded because of the audio track.  I'm not sure if the F series tv supports Dolby TRUEHD (can't find it in the manual) however my Samsung receiver should which is connected through an ARC cable.  From what I understand the tv should pass the audio to the receiver as is when using ARC.

Just curious, they do transcode fine though

CBers

Could you re-author, converting the audio to AC3 and keep both?

I do that with DTS to AC3 as my Sonos PlayBar doesn't support DTS.

All movies then have an extra audio track which plays fine on my F8000 TV.

Just a thought.

FrostByte

I could, though with my slow as molasses dual core cpu it takes about 24 hours to rip a BD :)  I just thought the TRUEHD would sound better if the app would let the tv pass audio to the receiver.   Do you have your AC3 track set as the default then, or is the app smart enough to choose the AC3 if the TRUEHD track is the default?

The app does not transcode DTS-HD which I like

CBers

You don't need to rip it again, just re-author it by converting, and keeping, DTS to AC3.

I use "popcorn mkv audioconverter".

It's free.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

chessdragon136

If you play a TrueHD file to the tv will it play (outside of my app, dlna or on a usb stick)

If it plays, then i can make it work somehow - will require some logic

• Like 1

FrostByte

I can play mkv files having TRUEHD on my tv by right clicking on the file in windows explorer and choosing "play to" and the Samsung tv or Samsung hts.  I assume this is because of ARC

chessdragon136

Can you disable the soundbar and test? Need to know if unsupported codecs are passed through or if it is supported by the tv