TV Metadata

jonstahura

jonstahura

I have a small conundrum. 

I record my tv from media center. It names the file with Show ChannelName Date Time. 

When I was using Plex, it was able to automatically match the name with the show using tvdb. 

What kind of high tech finagling do you guys use in this instance? 

Do you manually rename the file to another name? 

Is there a way to have MediaBrowser use this file naming convention as I have been for the past 2 years?

What is the best way around this corner I have backed myself into?

Thanks!

Koleckai Silvestri

Best format to use in naming your episodes is "showname.SXXEYY.episodename.ext". XX is the season number. YY is the episode number. You'll get 99.999999% accuracy in identification. There are other supported naming schemes as well listed in the Wiki.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 1

jonstahura

When media center records a show, it is as i said:

Show ChannelName Date Time

Justified_FXHD_2015_03_03_21_59_00

Thank you Silvestri. I have already read through the naming conventions. 

I was wondering if there are any un documented ways.

If not how are normal people pulling this data automatically?

No offence, but I do not want to have to touch EVERY file once it is recorded. 

Right now my current solution with WMC and plex does this. However, I would like to use mediabrowser. It has a great interface and I believe giving me a better home theater solution.

I want to remove plex from the equation.

Koleckai Silvestri

If you use the Organize feature in Media Browser, it will popup a dialog if it can't figure out where it goes automatically. You can choose the series, the season and the episode number. It will then move and rename the episode before metadata is retrieved.

jonstahura

negative. I can not do that. 

You are asking me to have way to much knowledge of the shows I don't care about THAT much. I am doing this for family members. 

I have as many as 10-15 different shows being recorded a day. I have 7 tuners that record shows throughout the day. 

I do use SQL to push things around. I may be able to use my XML tv listings dump to rename the files automatically in my process of transcoding and moving the files between storage locations.

There are some old third party utilities that I think could do this for you.  Never used them but the name MCEBuddy comes to mind...

Vicpa

Hi,

Like ebr said MCEBuddy is something to check out. I use it for the scenario you outlined. Renaming WMC recordings, so MBS can auto organize. It is a sophisticated tool looking up info on tmdb etc. Actually you can replace all the auto organize MBS functions right in the tool if you want, move, rename, copy etc. If you want to convert wtv to other formats as well as strip out commercials there are options for that as well.

Would love if the MCEBuddy folks would make a plugin for MBS. or maybe some of there stuff can be leveraged in enhancing the native the native MBS auto organize. Their stuff is open source, and am sure many folks would donate to support that effort. @@Luke, @@ebr I know you have lots on your respective plates. But maybe one of you could check them out and approach their developers if it is something feasible or wanted.

Thanks!

Latchmor
Hi, you might manage to get a quick fix if your current metadata in the WTVs is good enough. You can tell WMC how to name them, but it's limited. See registry setting below. (I guess you've edited the registry before but be careful)

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording

Add or edit the String Value – ‘filenaming’

• %Ch – Channel Number
  • %Cn – Station Name
  • %T – Title of show
  • %Et – Episode Title
  • %Dt – Date and Time

For example – %T-%Et would give you 'Sherlock-His Last Vow.wtv'

Cheers

politby

I have posted about this a couple of times before, most recently here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/17802-Auto-Organizer&do=findComment&comment=173189

Even with the file name containing series and episode names and numbers, the auto organizer will be unable to match unless the file name conforms exactly to one of the supported MB conventions. And no matter how much you fiddle with the registry you cannot get Media Center to name the files in that way.

And even if that was possible, there is no guarantee that the broadcasters supply the EPG providers (e.g. Microsoft) with consistent series information.

The solution to this would be having the auto organizer read WTV metadata, but unfortunately the WTV metadata specification does not include fields for discrete series information. Series and episode numbers, for instance, are usually included in the program title or synopsis.

Latchmor

...if your current metadata in the WTVs is good enough....

Yip, I was just giving him something to have a look at since it's very quick to do and it may help him with his own idea of using 'SQL to push things around'.

Granted 'quick fix' was the wrong term to use but I copied that from another post of mine. Some 'quick help' maybe is better.  :)

politby

if your current metadata in the WTVs is good enough.

Sorry, I missed that. Parsing error on my part [emoji5]

• Like 1

Latchmor

No problem. I've seen me typing out a few paragraphs then paging up to re-read the posts again and discarding my post altogether!