Feature Request: HD channels only filter

jhevener

jhevener

A filter option to display HD channels only in Live TV would be preferable to having to manually add as favorites. Thanks for all the hard work, you devs!

jhevener

MBS Version 3.0.5544.3402

ServerWMC Version: 1.0.0.52, build: 1175

Ceton InfiniTV PCIe (4 tuners, Xfinity Cable Card)

Web Client mostly but also Android running on Nexus 10. Can't wait till Live TV comes to IOS 8. :)

Thanks!

MSattler

MBS Version 3.0.5544.3402

ServerWMC Version: 1.0.0.52, build: 1175

Ceton InfiniTV PCIe (4 tuners, Xfinity Cable Card)

Web Client mostly but also Android running on Nexus 10. Can't wait till Live TV comes to IOS 8. :)

Thanks!

I thought there was an easy way to do this in ServerWMC but I don't believe there is.  I think it could help maybe if we split them into listing SD and HD channels?  I rarely will want to see SD stations except for when I'm on my phone?

jhevener

I would definitely not want to permanently filter out SD content. I believe that can be done with either the Ceton, HDHomeRun software or ServerWMC as well as WMC itself. I'll still need access to SD or viewing in low bandwidth environments.

The current favorite, liked, and disliked filters are all done on the server. The server doesn't look like it stores whether a channel is HD or not...

This would, however, be pretty easy to do in the JavaScript for the UI by filtering on channel.CurrentProgram.IsHD...

It would just make for a weird mix of filters being on the server and the client...

Just for giggles, you could use this bookmarklet to filter all SD content from the channels view (Note this will just hide SD items on the current channels page, and will be undone whenever you change filters, this is just a hack):

javascript:!function(e){var t={StartIndex:0,UserId:Dashboard.getCurrentUserId(),IsFavorite:e.getElementById("chkFavorite").checked?!0:null,IsLiked:e.getElementById("chkLikes").checked?!0:null,IsDisliked:e.getElementById("chkDislikes").checked?!0:null};ApiClient.getLiveTvChannels(t).done(function(t){t.Items.forEach(function(t){t.CurrentProgram.IsHD||(e.querySelector('#items [data-itemid="'+t.Id+'"]').style.display="none")})})}(document);

Readable:

(function(d) {
  var q = {
    StartIndex: 0,
    UserId: Dashboard.getCurrentUserId(),
    IsFavorite: d.getElementById('chkFavorite').checked ? true : null,
    IsLiked: d.getElementById('chkLikes').checked ? true : null,
    IsDisliked: d.getElementById('chkDislikes').checked ? true : null
  };

ApiClient.getLiveTvChannels(q).done(function (r) {
    r.Items.forEach(function(c,i,a) {
      if (!c.CurrentProgram.IsHD) {
        d.querySelector('#items [data-itemid="' + c.Id + '"]').style.display = "none";
      }
    });
  });
})(document);

While you can use that bookmarklet if you really just want to see the HD channels by themselves, the purpose is really more to show that we CAN filter channels by SD/HD in the client by inspecting the CurrentProgram. We would just have a weird server/client side blend of filters...

The alternative for this feature would be to add an IsHD flag to the ChannelInfoDto object which would require a lot more work to go database to API

Edit: Interestingly, channels can have programs that are flagged as HD and SD at different times of the day. So client side filtering might have interesting results as some channels will be considered HD when playing an HD program, and SD when they are playing a program that is not marked as HD...

Edited by TedA

MSattler

The current favorite, liked, and disliked filters are all done on the server. The server doesn't look like it stores whether a channel is HD or not...

This would, however, be pretty easy to do in the JavaScript for the UI by filtering on channel.CurrentProgram.IsHD...

It would just make for a weird mix of filters being on the server and the client...

Just for giggles, you could use this bookmarklet to filter all SD content from the channels view (Note this will just hide SD items on the current channels page, and will be undone whenever you change filters, this is just a hack):

javascript:!function(e){var t={StartIndex:0,UserId:Dashboard.getCurrentUserId(),IsFavorite:e.getElementById("chkFavorite").checked?!0:null,IsLiked:e.getElementById("chkLikes").checked?!0:null,IsDisliked:e.getElementById("chkDislikes").checked?!0:null};ApiClient.getLiveTvChannels(t).done(function(t){t.Items.forEach(function(t){t.CurrentProgram.IsHD||(e.querySelector('#items [data-itemid="'+t.Id+'"]').style.display="none")})})}(document);

Readable:

(function(d) {
  var q = {
    StartIndex: 0,
    UserId: Dashboard.getCurrentUserId(),
    IsFavorite: d.getElementById('chkFavorite').checked ? true : null,
    IsLiked: d.getElementById('chkLikes').checked ? true : null,
    IsDisliked: d.getElementById('chkDislikes').checked ? true : null
  };

ApiClient.getLiveTvChannels(q).done(function (r) {
    r.Items.forEach(function(c,i,a) {
      if (!c.CurrentProgram.IsHD) {
        d.querySelector('#items [data-itemid="' + c.Id + '"]').style.display = "none";
      }
    });
  });
})(document);

While you can use that bookmarklet if you really just want to see the HD channels by themselves, the purpose is really more to show that we CAN filter channels by SD/HD in the client by inspecting the CurrentProgram. We would just have a weird server/client side blend of filters...

The alternative for this feature would be to add an IsHD flag to the ChannelInfoDto object which would require a lot more work to go database to API

Edit: Interestingly, channels can have programs that are flagged as HD and SD at different times of the day. So client side filtering might have interesting results as some channels will be considered HD when playing an HD program, and SD when they are playing a program that is not marked as HD...

Hmm.... That actually makes me wonder if there is any though to adding channel logos to the web and other clients. And if so, could we then have CoverArt provide treatments for the channel logos?

I feel like having a filter for SD/HD or all would make sense?  It would certainly help with some of the clients that have an issue in displaying all the channels, or where it takes forever to load the channels <AndroidTV, Fire TV Stick, etc>

Hmm.... That actually makes me wonder if there is any though to adding channel logos to the web and other clients. And if so, could we then have CoverArt provide treatments for the channel logos?

I feel like having a filter for SD/HD or all would make sense?  It would certainly help with some of the clients that have an issue in displaying all the channels, or where it takes forever to load the channels <AndroidTV, Fire TV Stick, etc>

You can already add channel logos if you are using ServerWMC. I believe you just need to add them to WMC and MBS pulls them over. Lots of people around the forum are using http://www.mychannellogos.com for this functionality. (Some people are also having a bug right now where all the channels show the same logo, but that should be fixed soon)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
gutterpunk13

If you want to remove SD Channels (or any channel) completely. I recommend using a free program called "Guide Tool" You can do all kinds of things including telling WMC which channels to display, rename, and renumber channels. etc.

Personally I will go in and renumber all of my HD channels to .1 of the SD channel so the HD one is right next to the SD and I can remove unwanted channels etc.

You can also backup all the changes you make so if for some reason you have to re-setup your tuner you don't have to do it all over again.

• Like 1

jhevener

You can already add channel logos if you are using ServerWMC. I believe you just need to add them to WMC and MBS pulls them over. Lots of people around the forum are using http://www.mychannellogos.com for this functionality. (Some people are also having a bug right now where all the channels show the same logo, but that should be fixed soon)

MyChannelLogos works great on Version 3.0.5557.0

JeremyFr79

If you want to remove SD Channels (or any channel) completely. I recommend using a free program called "Guide Tool" You can do all kinds of things including telling WMC which channels to display, rename, and renumber channels. etc.

Personally I will go in and renumber all of my HD channels to .1 of the SD channel so the HD one is right next to the SD and I can remove unwanted channels etc.

You can also backup all the changes you make so if for some reason you have to re-setup your tuner you don't have to do it all over again.

You don't need a 3rd party app to do that, all that functionality is natively in WMC, if you go to Settings, and Select guide, you'll find you can do all of that already and quite easily.