MCEBuddy Auto Organize Plugin Opportunity for MBS !

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi All,

Like many members I am always looking for enhancements to the auto organize function in MBS. The folks at http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/ have a great tool. Auto Organizing being just a small subset of their features.

One key is the intelligence they have around file renaming. They read embed meta data tags and do look ups to tvdb etc to create file names that conform to MBS requirements to auto organize. As is well documented in the forums there is no way out of the box to get  .wtv WMC recordings to work with MBS auto organize. They do a pretty great job at it.

So I approached them about doing a plugin for MBS. I got a very nice reply....

"From: rboy1

Definitely open to exploring the idea, I think it's a good one. After reading the thread I didn't quite undersatnd what level of integration you're talking about. What would you like MB to do via MCEBuddy? - Rename the files? "

Intelligent File naming is like 1/10 of the functionality of their tool, but Is still a big win for the MBS auto organize. Personally I think third party support from a tool like that is a BIG win for MediaBrowser in general. Hopefully encouraging other third parties to directly support MB.  

So what is next?

1)We need an experienced plugin developer to reach out to that dev team to explore feasibility. Any Volunteers?

2) Some discussion in the community about "what level of integration" Intelligent Filing naming is such a small subset of their tool, but maybe it is a manageable first step.

Please post thoughts or comments here. If this post should be moved to another sub forum, I sure it will be.

Thanks

Vicpa

• Like 3

Well interestingly based on the other thread that was created last night I added the ability to parse the episode number from wtv info. We were already getting wtv metadata but not getting the episode number. I used MceBuddy source as a reference and credited them:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/blob/dev/MediaBrowser.Providers/MediaInfo/FFProbeVideoInfo.cs#L503-L537

This hasn't been extended to auto-organize yet but will at some point later. A plugin could still have value though just due to the popularity of MceBuddy and the way it could help expose users of both applications to each other.

Yea just thinking aloud, even as we improve wtv handling, mcebuddy has a large and loyal fanbase. some users might like to replace some of MBS's handling with mce buddy. for example, maybe the auto-organize processing. then mce buddy can do the work and the server can still show the activity log.  that could be a good way to bring both apps together.

• Like 4

jasonmcroy

I use MCEBuddy for cutting commercials from my NextPvr recordings and then placing the files into my TV Series directory for MB. I do still rely on the Auto-Organize feature for video files that I download via a Kodi addon to a separate folder. Unfortunately MCEBuddy won't rename files that don't contain metadata, such as the ones I download. That is something the Auto-Organize feature handles very well. I would love to have MCEBuddy handle the other files too, but I wrote about this on their forum and rboy1 said it's difficult to do that.

It would be nice to have some sort of plugin for MCEBuddy that integrated it's ability to cut commercials/rename metadata files with MB's Auto-Organize feature with non metadata files.

-Jason

One good start would be to be able to configure the engine form the server, from what i understand you can connect to a process running on another computer and change manage the settings. So we could obtain status information on what it is transcoding/processing at the moment and the set the folders to watch and processing settings. I would like that as i can have a windows vm running, with my live tv plugin and mcebuddy and be able to manage all the tv process from the server without having to open the vm.

One good start would be to be able to configure the engine form the server, from what i understand you can connect to a process running on another computer and change manage the settings. So we could obtain status information on what it is transcoding/processing at the moment and the set the folders to watch and processing settings. I would like that as i can have a windows vm running, with my live tv plugin and mcebuddy and be able to manage all the tv process from the server without having to open the vm.

so basically just a plugin for MBS to manage/configure MCEBuddy using the web interface

Yes, for now that would be a start to give some exposure to MCEBuddy and see if the users want any other features to work along with the server. Sort of a plugin to take over Auto-Organize job, as it goes a little further by cropping/create chapter for commercials.

In the future it would be nice if the server could have its own comskip plugin and that would work along the auto-organize we wouldn't need a second process like mcebuddy running unless the user preferred/wanted it, and auto-organize could also transcode files,   Also a linux comskip version exists and if in the future a linux live-tv add-on comes along i wouldn't need to waste resources on a windows vm.

Edited by jose

politby

Question for those of you who are using MCE buddy: how the heck are you getting it to work at all?

When I tried it it kept renaming everything, even items where it did not find a match - which in my case was 100% of my recordings. Which is mind bogglingly stupid, creating total chaos in the destination folder. For instance if it cannot identify the actual season number, it will create a folder named just "Season" with incorrectly named files.

It seems it primarily will use the show title and episode name fields to do the matching. Unfortunately my recordings do not always have the appropriate metadadata due to low quality EPG information from the broadcaster.

The show title is almost always correct, but the episode name field generally contains not only the actual name but also season and episode numbers, so it will be e.g. "Season 23 Episode 2 Bob Goes to the Show", or "S23E2 Bob Goes to the Show". None of which MCEbuddy is able to match.

You guys must have much better EPG data than I have. [emoji26]

Edited by politby

• 4 weeks later...

Yea just thinking aloud, even as we improve wtv handling, mcebuddy has a large and loyal fanbase. some users might like to replace some of MBS's handling with mce buddy. for example, maybe the auto-organize processing. then mce buddy can do the work and the server can still show the activity log.  that could be a good way to bring both apps together.

Hey Luke and everyone. RBoy here from MCEBuddy Team. We've been getting a ton of requests to visit this page and see how we can get MCEBuddy and MBS to collaborate.

Well I'm here and happy to help. There are many interfaces available to MCEBuddy (GUI, CmdLine, DLL, Sockets etc).

• Like 1

I'm using MCEBuddy and Emby.

1. Configure Emby Auto Organize feature and note the directory.
  2. I have 2 profiles that remove commercials, one for "Daily TV"  and "Long Term TV":
    1. Daily TV - Use TS Unprocceed Profile (saves muxing and compression time instead of original WTV or MP4)
    2. Long Term TV - Use MP4 Normal Profile
  3. In the MCE Buddy conversion tasks, set the:
    • Destination Directory: <Emby Destination Directory in Step #1>
    • Advanced Settings
      • Check - Rename and sort by video information
      • Check - Enable custom file renaming, enter:

%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename%

The major problem to this setup is MCEBuddy (no disrespect @RBOY) is notoriously bad (per formums) at picking up season/episode information (even though it's stored in WTV file).  I often (5% of time) get "Showname SE" (instead of S01E01) which is because MCE Buddy doesn't pick up metadata right.   Having a "don't convert without metadata" would save some time for failed downloads.  I actually use the same 15 shows...but it may be because their daily comedy shows, kids shows, and weekly news shows might not have the metdata uploaded to TheTVDB the day it airs.  Example shows:

• Sesame Street
  • Meet the Press
  • 60 Minutes
  • Ellen
  • Late Night with Seth Meyers
  • Saturday Night Live

Overall, I love MCEBuddy and recommend donation pre-release version which is pretty stable.

@@AgileHumor Are you using the latest build? If not, try it because we added a patch a few weeks ago to extract some additional metadata and logic which makes season and episode info from WTV files, especially, and supplementing from the internet more reliable.

If you're still facing the issue, please open an issue on the forum website (https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions) and zip/attach the log file where it doesn't work and we'll look into. Sorry, didn't want to hijack this thread with a deep dive analysis here.

• Like 1

Hey Luke and everyone. RBoy here from MCEBuddy Team. We've been getting a ton of requests to visit this page and see how we can get MCEBuddy and MBS to collaborate.

Well I'm here and happy to help. There are many interfaces available to MCEBuddy (GUI, CmdLine, DLL, Sockets etc).

Welcome. I think the first thing to take a look at what users are asking for and set some goals. What are the requests in your forum focusing on?

For instance, just in this thread alone I see a couple different requests, one being to use MceBuddy to extend the features of our Auto-Organize. And then Jose requested a plugin that could manage MceBuddy from the server's web interface. So I guess the first thing to do is figure out where the most demand is.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I use MCEBuddy and I would love to have a way to manage it from the server. I do not use the auto organize feature as I like to manage everything myself so I can not speak for that part.

Vicpa

Hi,

Welcome @@RBoy !! 

I think @@AgileHumor list is perfect. Exactly the things I would like, probably even in that order. :)  So a big +1

t would be pretty cool to have MCEBuddy integrate more with Emby via the web interface.  I could imagine some scenarios for a plugin like:

• Configuring via the Emby Interface to Autoconvert WMC Recordings and Remove Commercials
  • Using MCEBuddy for sync conversion tasks (instead of FFMPEG)...this supports hardware acceleration on Intel and NVdia GPU's. I'd pay double for this.
  • Using MCEBuddy to enhance Movie and TV AutoOrganize.  I see this more as an Emby Server plugin (Paid) using RBoy's knowledge instead of using a refactoring the orginal Windows App.

Thanks

-Vicpa

mediacowboy

You can use the "remote client.zip" for the latest build on a PC on the same network. You want to match up your client and server versions. Not web based, but will work if you want to control from another PC.

Right but I was meaning more a Web based/client through the Emby server. Where not only can you configure it but also see if stuff is pending being converted.

• 6 months later...
Damstas

Is this request still active? I think MCEBuddy is a great tool and definitely needs to be implemented to Emby and work with EmbyTV and PVR plugins.

I'd like to see the files that I have recorded automatically stripped of commercials and would still show in the recordings sections.

Edited by Damstas

I don't see a list of things that needs to be done honestly, the only clear request is what you just posted, i.e. have Emby send the file to MCEBuddy for processing, that's something which can be achieved through a simple plugin. MCEbuddy has 2 ways to control it, through a DLL or through a CLI (preferable and easy).

As renaming etc, seasons/episodes details are all fixed now and MCEBuddy can parse a lot more information than it could a few months ago.

Vicpa

Hi @@RBoy,

Firstly kudo's on the silicon dust support :) your app has been working great with their DVR stuff. Frankly I have just disabled emby auto organize and use MCEBuddy. Was pretty much doing that all along anyway.

Specifically, One opportunity is if plugin, mcebuddy or what ever could read emby file locations for the move rename final step. Confusing I know.. As an example.  

emby lets you have multiple tv libraries The record tools generally dump you into one location. SD file structure or emby TV's. If you just want to leave the converted files there no problem, but if you want to move them I have been doing that with multiple tasks with filters on show or network (maybe there is an existing an easier way) don't know.

In my perfect world... I would set two defaults. If emby has the show already in a library move it there to season folder etc. If emby doesn't have the show (ie first time record) create it in a specific emby tv library.

I am sure others would like different stuff, but combining your awesome conversion commercial cut functionality with some enhanced move stuff would be great.

Thanks, again the SD stuff is working great.

-vicpa