Players/streamers.

dragon2611

dragon2611

Is it impossible to actually get a device that does Amazon + Netflix + UK Catchup players + Media browser/Kodi really well other than shelling out for a high end PC?

so far I have tried  the following

1x PI (512mb model), great for Kodi but not very useful for the other proprietary players interface is a bit sluggish (I hear the new Pi2 solves that last one)

1x Chromecast - Can't handle the higher bitrate stuff, or rather my server lacks the grunt to realtime transcode it to something it can, shame as I really like the idea of selecting something on the tablet/phone and having the tv play it.

1x Dual core android stick, think it's the MK808B, Seems to drop frames also the WI-FI is terrible had to get a usb ethernet adaptor but that tends to drop out sometimes - Also some of the catchup players see it as rooted or won't output because it's HDMI or they'll work but play in some mobile optimised format that looks terrible.

1x Xbox One, great for Amazon instant video, but restricted to ap's Microsoft have approved - Although Tbh this was bought for gaming with mates rather than it's video playback capablities.

1x NowTV box, bought because it's cheap but needs the server to transcode and no Amazon/Netflix, puts me off getting a Roku due to the transcoding.

A couple low power PC i've tried, namely a E350D and J1900 based boards, they're ok for stuff the GPU can decode but for other HD content such as the silverlight crap the commercial streaming services use they lack the grunt (One of the J1900 based machines is currently being used as the server).

I also have a Fire TV on order, which should have been here the other day but the courier is being absolutely useless.  On paper it looks pretty good and I wanted one to play with, but is this going to be yet another lemon?

I do wonder if I should shell out for an i3 or i5 NUC and some kind of decent remote to control it, the problem is I might want more than one so I'm trying to get away with something a bit more reasonably priced, although i've gone though a fair few media players it's been over time as things become available.

Deathsquirrel

A roku is probably the closest thing to what you want right now.  I'd say the xbox one will be solid once a client app is available on that platform.  Playback through DLNA is possible but the video/audio stuttering and inability to bitstream HD audio are killers for me.  Hopefully an xbox one app won't suffer at least the performance issues.

PC, which is what I'm using now, is a pretty crappy solution given the lack of remote control friendly UI for netflix and amazon.

We use MBT on the PC for movie playback and the xbox one for netflix, amazon, and hulu plus.

Vidman

Minix neo x8? Works great for me but i don't use netflix and according to their forums netflix does not allow non approved android devices to stream HD atm

Edited by Vidman

Are you in a big hurry or can you wait a bit?  Roku 4K is right around the corner (appears).

dragon2611

Are you in a big hurry or can you wait a bit?  Roku 4K is right around the corner (appears).

Well I'll have the fireTV to play with eventually (Currently having "fun" with the courier being useless) and I'm always looking for toys to play with, so if the Roku 4k device ends up being reasonably priced and able to do what I want then it's certainly something i'd look at.

Can always move the fireTV to another room.