Mixed show/movie folder...am I asking for trouble?

dayoff

dayoff

I have a collection of stuff for a hobby of mine that I want to put in a separate collection...mainly because I like to keep it together, also because I know nobody else in the family feels like wading through the content to see their stuff.

So, I created a folder called 'hobby', and under it I have all my media...some folders are shows, some are movies, some are single clips.  Is this doable, by simply creating a mixed media root, then going in and designating each subfolder as TV or MOVIE, or is there more to it?

I gave it a shot and am having weird results...

The server path is

\\servername\sharename\hobby

I've called the folder 'hobby' in mediabrowser, and the path to things is like:

\\servername\sharename\hobby\Movietitle\movie.avi

\\servername\sharename\hobby\Movietitle\movie\extras\behindthescenes.avi

\\servername\sharename\hobby\tvshowtitle\Season1\tvshowtitle S01E01.avi

\\servername\sharename\hobby\tvshowtitle\Season2\tvshowtitle S02E01.avi

\\servername\sharename\hobby\tvshowtitle\Season3\tvshowtitle S03E01.avi

...but then I have situations where it's guessing the wrong TV show, and making each season folder a different tv series which has nothing to do with anything (It thinks the Season 1 folder is GI joe, the second season is Extras, the third season folder is Golden girls) . I blow out everything except the AVI files and run a folder rescan and it detects all the season folders as the same set of stuff...meanwhile, the 'tvshowtitle' just says TV and I can't select Identify.

Before I get too far into digging my hole, I thought I'd pose the question..

Thanks

Pete

dayoff

As an added note, I took that 'tvshowtitle' folder and copied it into a folder structure that was set only for TV shows and it detected fine... I'm not quite sure what's different in my other scenario... I'm approaching it like it could be either, so the root folder is 'mixed', and the subfolders all get manually set.  Is there more to it that I'm not catching on to?

Happy2Play

I believe with a mixed scenario like that you will have to set Content Type for each series to "TV" in metadata manager.

dayoff

Yeah, that's what I'm doing...but it's not what's happening...it almost seems like it's not picking the folder I mark for being a TV episode and seeing the Season1, Season2 folders in it...  Well, it's seeing those folders, but it's thinking Season1 is a separate series from Season2, and detecting them separately, and then not allowing the root folder to be identified as anything, even though that root folder is set as TV and the subfolders are set as inherit.

The folder you mark as TV needs to be the folder that contains the Series, not the series itself.

but first you should try not setting them at all to see if auto-detection works properly. then only use the overrides as needed

dayoff

Autodetection doesn't work... again, here's the layout

Media folder \\servername\sharename\Various

path to the folder acting up:

\\servername\sharename\Various\Jeffersons

\\servername\sharename\Various\Jeffersons\Season1

\\servername\sharename\Various\Jeffersons\Season2

\\servername\sharename\Various\Jeffersons\Season3

When I leave it on autodetect, it leaves the series folder 'Jeffersons' alone, but changes Season1's folder to GI Joe Season 2, the Season 2 folder turns to another unrelated series, and Season 3 turn to another unreleated series in the metadata manager.   Each folder is marked 'inherit' under jeffersons, and the Jeffersons folder is marked 'TV' but does not detect a series, and does not give me an option to 'identify'

Pete

Edited by dayoff

and the Jeffersons folder is marked 'TV' but does not detect a series, and does not give me an option to 'identify'

That's not auto detection.  That is marking the incorrect folder as TV.  As I said above, the folder marked as TV needs to be the one that contains the Series not the Seasons.

So, first, remove that TV designation from that folder and see if the true auto detection can identify it.

The content type means this folder contains this type of content, not this folder is this type of content.

dayoff

Cool .. Thank you for the tip. Ok, so setting each season folder as TV will help the detection realize they are one in the end? I guess my thinking (incorrectly) was that I would set the root of that folder and it could load the base info for the TV series even though I might have the subfders and naming structure not quite cleaned up... That's sort of how the movie folders seemed to work... You could have all sorts of subfolders with Isos and such but it was still figuring things out to some extent until I cleaned things up... This almost feels like the reverse ...