Question about the Roku Thumbnail Plugin

tornadotj

tornadotj

So today I was doing some work on my server, and I noticed the system slow down. I looked at Task Manager, and ffmpeg.exe was taking up 95% of the processor. I am at home alone, and none of my family is streaming. I look at the MB Server dashboard, and my IE browser is the only one connected, no other devices showing. I stop the MB Server service, and ffmpeg.exe goes away. 

If the dashboard shows nobody connected, then either there is someone connected and not showing up, or MBS started ffmpeg.exe for no reason.

Any idea what is going on here?

CBers

@@tornadotj - which level of MBS are you running?

There is a small issue with rogue ffmpeg processes hanging around after a transcode session.

Had you watched anything recently via transcoding?

tornadotj

No, in fact I've been bouncing the server all day. I've just built a new server, and I'm still building stuff, and was shocked to see it there.

MSattler

No, in fact I've been bouncing the server all day. I've just built a new server, and I'm still building stuff, and was shocked to see it there.

Gonna need logs, version of server you are using, and what kind of clients you are using.

tornadotj

This is the file from when the issue occurred. Note, there is not a transcode file from the time this occurred. In fact, my last transcode file was from two nights ago when I was doing some testing.

Server is Version 3.0.5518.7

My main two clients are:

Media Browser Classic 3.0.256

Roku 3 running Media Browser

These serve probably 99.999% of watching purposes.

But note, zero clients were connected when I saw this occurring. Nobody is home, and I contacted my wife and daughter and they said they were not streaming either - wife is at work and daughter is in school, so they don't have time!

Their remote clients are both iPhones. I do have an Android tablet I will use occasionally for streaming on my local network, but it's been a week since I have done so.

Log had to be zipped due to size constraints on the forum software.

server-63561209357.zip

Beardyname

Are you sure it's not creating the .bif file thing for the new roku images plugin thing? since that creates a bit of a load on the system until all the files are done?

*edit*

based on the logs it's actually doing a bunch of images for the roku thumbnail, so not a bug it's a one time thing.

log is later on filled with : App: Creating roku thumbnails

Edited by Beardyname

You installed the roku plugin. The plugin makes clear that it will eat up a lot of cpu to generate the images. So either uninstall the plugin, or live with the cpu usage until it's done.

tornadotj

It will run even when the Roku is turned off? I expected it would only run when the Roku was being used.

Edited by tornadotj

Beardyname

It will run even when the Roku is turned off? I expected it would only run when the Roku was being used.

yes since the files needed for the roku has to be created before the roku can use them.

tornadotj

OK, I misunderstood the high CPU usage notes then. :)

I figured it would generate them on the fly when a video is being watched. It would take a while to generate those for 500 movies, guess I'll uninstall. 

Thanks!

Pretty wild to see a Xeon E31246V3 peg out for what appears to be no reason! I was wondering "what the..."

Edited by tornadotj
  • Like 1

Beardyname

OK, I misunderstood the high CPU usage notes then. :)

I figured it would generate them on the fly when a video is being watched. It would take a while to generate those for 500 movies, guess I'll uninstall. 

Thanks!

Pretty wild to see a Xeon E31246V3 peg out for what appears to be no reason! I was wondering "what the..."

also don't forget all the tv-shows ;) (not running a roku myself I'm not sure what videos it does this for)

Anyways, glad we got it sorted :) You could try letting it run overnight (it is possible to trigger the task?) and see if it's done in the morning!

Edited by Beardyname

tornadotj

I might put it back before I go on a vacation where I know I won't be streaming anything for a while. Whew!

Honestly I thought someone had figured out a back door into my system. 

the next server release will allow you to configure time limits for scheduled tasks, thus allowing you to run it only from say, 2am to 8am. So once that feature is available that might help you.

• Like 2

tornadotj

I have to say though, I'm thoroughly impressed with how well MB3 and Roku work together. I've been doing a lot of testing with all sorts of stuff, and settled on this as the best solution.

Amazon Fire TV just simply didn't work right, on MB or PLEX. Of course MB was sideloaded on it... One thing I do like better about it is that the MB3 interface was much nicer than the Roku MB3 interface. The Roku interface, although consistent with Roku, is kind of kiddy looking.

Plex on Roku, if I fire up Plex, my server's processor pegs and stays pegged during the entire video. If I try to FF or RW or skip or anything, forget it, the server is so busy that the video hangs.

Last night we watched two shows on the Roku through MB3. My server sat at about 5% the entire time, with a few jumps here and there. If I skipped up halfway through the MKV (~4GB MKV), the server would hit about 70% and the video would almost instantly start right back up. This is the way things SHOULD work.

Edited by tornadotj
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Roku thumbnail plugin has been updated with a new configuration screen to match the look and feel of the rest of Emby Server. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable to use and configure now. Thanks.

You don't need that Roku Plugin to use Emby on the Roku, that plugin is only used to create millions of image files for the seek menu.  

If you just watching movies or tv shows normally you would never use this anyway.

I have been using my Roku3's for almost a year now and they work great.

Woah.. blast from the past. Luke went a smidgeon overboard reviving year old posts...

As @@dcook said it isnt required that you use the roku thumbnail plugin to use the roku app. It is advised that you do, as the trick-play thumbnail previews when rewind/fast-fwd are pretty nice to have. These work for all your videos, direct or transcode. It adds that level of "AWESOME!" that all other devices dont have. The appleTV is the only device that comes close to this feature, and it only works on-the-fly with mp4.

Edited by speechles