Coverart 4.0.8.2 Collection Open Case Treatment Issue?

DarWun

DarWun

CoverArt 4.0.8.2 has changed the way the OpenCaseDiscs Treatment is applied for BoxSets/Collections.  Previously, selecting a +10 rotation would result in a case frame perspective with the long side of the case to the right.  At this rotation, the primary image would fit perfectly in to the case frame.  After the update to the new version, the perspective of the case frame is such that the long side of the case is to the left when a rotation angle of +10 is applied.  Changing the rotation to -10 results in the same perspective for the case frame as the previous version.  But the primary image no longer fits in the treatment.  Also, the discs no longer have any image treatment.

Edited by DarWun

techywarrior

Did you upgrade the server to the just released beta? I believe Ebr said that with the change from GDI+ to ImageMagik that the rotation values would no longer be consistent with before.

They will still look good though. But he might have discovered an issue that our test group didn't cover, so with a screenshot we can diagnost.

techywarrior

Yea, a screenshot would definitely help identify the problem. I just remember Ebr mentioning the rotation so that may explain the +10 to -10 discrepancy. Also, the discs should use the disc art but when that isn't available I think it's just an empty circle. I had lobbied, along with a few other people, for the sliver image (underside of disc) to be used instead of an empty circle but I'm not sure if that was the way Ebr went or not. I think he was also considering using some other generated image.

Either way, please post a screenshot and I am sure we can get you some answers.

DarWun

I don't have a screenshot of the "before".  But I'll post a couple screenshots of the "after" when I get back home this weekend.

As for the disc art, previously I did not download disc.png images.  I think CoverArt was using the primary images and cropping them for the discs that showed up in the OpenCaseDisc treatement.

Edited by DarWun

techywarrior

The after image would be fine. I think we are pretty familiar with the before (maybe not the exact rotation degree but that can be found out). Don't quote me on it but I think that disc.png is what is being used now. You'd need to get confirmation from Ebr but that is what I remember him saying. For some reason some people thought the empty disc looked good. I'm not one of them so I don't really know what the thinking behind it is but hopefully Ebr will change it if enough people don't like it.

Honestly, I never even imagined someone applying rotation to that particular treatment since it is already a native 3D look but please do post some screen shots so we can see if anything can be adjusted.

DarWun

Honestly, I never even imagined someone applying rotation to that particular treatment since it is already a native 3D look but please do post some screen shots so we can see if anything can be adjusted.

I'm still not in front of my home computer, so I can't provide the image yet.  But I can provide a reason for why I was rotating the OpenCaseDisc treatment.  With 0 rotation the case frame did have a native 3D look as you say.  But I found that the primary image extended outside the lower left corner of the frame.  Through trial and error I found that when rotation was set at around +10, the image would fit perfectly within the case frame.

Well, that just sounds like an adjustment that needs to be made to the treatment.  Is it still a problem in the new version?  If so, give me a picture and indicate exactly what you're seeing and I'll see if we can fix it without the need for fiddling.

DarWun

Well, that just sounds like an adjustment that needs to be made to the treatment.  Is it still a problem in the new version?  If so, give me a picture and indicate exactly what you're seeing and I'll see if we can fix it without the need for fiddling.

In earlier versions I just assumed it was set up that way to give people flexibility to tweak things if they were using non-standard image sizes, so I didn't report it.  Sorry about that.  Anyway, it is still a problem with the new version.  And a rotation of +10 still results in the image fitting in the frame.  But now at +10 the 3D perspective of the frame is "into the screen" instead of "out of the screen".  At a rotation of -10 the frame perspective is the same as it was in the previous version with a rotation of +10.  But the image no longer fits the frame.

Again I'll post a couple of images when I get back to the comfort of my own home on Saturday.

Edited by DarWun

DarWun

This is an image of Collections with the OpenCaseDiscs treatment and rotation 0.  The image extends outside the case frame in the lower left corner.  Also, the disks no longer have images as they did in the previous version (although I'm pretty sure that would be fixed by downloading disc.png images...they weren't required in the previous version so I excluded them from my metadata download):

550da569ddae3_OpenCaseDiscs_02.jpg

As with the previous version, setting rotation to +10 results in the image fitting the case frame.  But unlike the previous version, the 3D perspective is "into the screen" instead of "out of the screen":

550da5cca5660_OpenCaseDiscs_10.jpg

Finally, at a rotation of -10, the 3D perspective is okay.  But the image doesn't fit in the case treatment:

550da61d4ecdf_OpenCaseDiscs_10.jpg

Edited by DarWun

Okay, yeah, that's just an error in the processing.  No rotation should be needed there.

DarWun

Try CA 4.0.8.3.  No rotation on that treatment.

Thanks ebr!!!  Rotation is no longer required.

The weirdness with the OpenCaseDisc treatment lead me to trying out some of the other treatments for Boxsets/Collections.  I noticed that quite a few of them scale oddly compared to the treatments for individual movies.  This results in visual disparity when collections and movies are mixed in movie view.  The following image hopefully shows what I mean.  I don't know if this occurred with versions of CA prior to 4.0.8.2.  This is not an issue with the OpenCaseDisc treatment. 

5513479ea9803_Discs.jpg

Edited by DarWun

CashMoney

I've seen this before, about a year ago. One of my customers has/had the same issue.

Do you have any other clients? That's usually the web client maintaining an orderly grid with fixed width percentages. So if the items are given a width of 20%, all the items will be displayed with the same width and maintain there individual aspect ratio. But some of the CoverArt treatments are wider than standard, resulting in the image being scaled down. In other clients such as Emby for WMC it usually looks fine.

You could try removing collections from your movies view, and rely on the collections section, so at least they would look uniform on the same pages. Or you could change the collections CoverArt treatment to one that isn't as wide.

I don't think it's relevant here, but in case this comes up in a search for someone else -

If you have your desktop fonts enlarged for readability, that can/used to affect CoverArt as well.

Also, if the original images don't have the same ratio as others, it can throw things out in some clients. You would have to go through your library and either remove and/or replace the images with others that match the same aspect ratio as the majority in your library. If that doesn't make sense, just change the folder.jpg images so that they are all the same size (1000x1500 seems to be the most commonly downloaded by Emby from the various metadata art providers).

Edited by CashMoney

That is a display issue with the client. Search out here and you may find a long-winded explanation from me.  Short answer is it has nothing to do with CA per-se.  The images are the same size but the client is trying to display them in the same size/shape box and must re-size them in order to not distort them.