Google Drive Sync

pmt257

pmt257

Greetings,  been a user for over a year and love this project. 

I just installed the new BETA, and installed the google drive plug in.   I'm a little lost in where to go next or how to start syncing to google drive.

I installed the plug in, created a separate google drive account just for Emby to use, and linked the API with the Client ID and Client secret.  However when I click to sync a title in my library there is no option of Google Drive in the drop down menu.  Any ideas?

Also, will the server automatically redirect the client to the google drive file if they watch a title that has been synced to the cloud?  Or will the user have to make a conscious decision to stream from the cloud instead of the server?  I'm trying to decrease my upload bandwidth but I don't want to have my friends/family to have to choose between server or cloud.  (Trying to keep it simple on the kids)

Thanks for any help! 

robinp

I've read the Wiki and successfully setup the Google Drive plugin and created and run a few sync jobs successfully.

What I can't figure out is getting an app to pick google drive as it's source.

Are only certain apps capable of streaming from the google drive location at this point and what is the logic that it uses to pick the source?

I've tried with the web interface, Android App, and MBT but they always pick the server's copy (I can confirm by watching the upload on my server's internet connection).

I read that syncing directly to the app was only implemented in the Win 8.1 app. Is the Win 8.1 app the only one that supports streaming from cloud sync at this point?

Thanks.

radeon

Having the same issues here, movies synced to google but i cant get them to stream from google, they always come from the server. Tried LAN and WAN

I'm also finding movies which I know require transcoding to play properly on the roku are being synced to google play without being converted first when selecting the relevant profiles. The general and baseline profiles don't seem to be taking effect or they are missing some of the media properties which determine if it can direct play or not. One of them being the Ref frames i think.  The custom bitrate based under "quality" seems to be ignored too.

I'm updating the profile to account for refframes.  The apps are all going to require update to use these media sources, right now the web client has it, MBT dev channel, android beta groups, and win8/winphone beta groups. And I'll get it into roku fairly quickly. Those apps are all using core libraries so they'll get support very fast. the others will take longer.

• Like 1

pmt257

Luke, read through the wiki page. That got me to the point where I asked the question above. I have the google client id entered and the secret id entered, but nothing changed. I have no confirmation that it worked and in the drop down list in the sync side bar (when you click Sync from a library item) I only have the "Folder Sync" option.

pmt257

Ok,  I clicked "Add Google Drive Account"

Enter for Displayce name: "EmbyDrive"

Click Enter

A new tab opens with a 401(OAuth2 Error)!!

at this point there's some work that needs to be done in the plugin but the core aspect of it i think is ready for release. the plugin needs to be updated to preserve the directory structure that the server tells it to save the file within, and also it needs to configure the permissions so that clients will be able to access the content. i will be working with hamstercat on that.

Spaceboy

i have three completed sync jobs with all the converted recordings on google drive. within each job it lists each episode and underneath each it says "removed from device". what is this supposed to convey? its a little disconcerting but all files seem to be in place.

I've posted a beta revision to the server as well as a plugin update. This should be resolved now. You'll need to remove and recreate your google drive info. thanks for testing the beta.

• Like 1

skynet600

I successfully sync'd a title to Google.  I was under the impression that it could be seen via web client.  I only see my media server listed.  Where am I going wrong here?  I have just updated all plugins and server as well as deslected and re-added the google drive info.

Beardyname

I successfully sync'd a title to Google.  I was under the impression that it could be seen via web client.  I only see my media server listed.  Where am I going wrong here?  I have just updated all plugins and server as well as deslected and re-added the google drive info.

When it's synced to the web, it will try to play from your google drive instead of on your server, depending on where you are connection from and with what client. It will also depend on what profile you used to sync the item with :)

we could list it separately but how much value is there really in seeing your media listed twice in two separate sections

radeon

we could list it separately but how much value is there really in seeing your media listed twice in two separate sections

I'd quite like that so i could just allow some remote users to only access the cloud synced media. Also, it would be quite nice as i would imagine that would enable a user to almost force playback from a certain "host". I.e. if im out and my home fibre is under high load, I could go into a specific section to of my google drive synced media and pick something from there instead.

yea but we can do all that with settings as opposed to a separate section listed. and others have asked for those kinds of management settings so we're going to have them.

• Like 1

skynet600

Ok thanks.  I am using the original format with high quality option.  My understanding is obviously way off.  I am perfectly happy that it is not listed twice to be honest. 

Just so I am clear then.  If I play a title via the web browser that is sync'd to google it will stream via google and not the server?  Are there any storage limits?

the intention is to direct play from google drive when possible, so that assumes the browser is capable of playing it, and that assumes that it falls within the configured bitrate settings of the web client. if either of those conditions aren't met, then the google drive version will not be used.

• Like 1

hhb97b

Hi

I have read the wiki and it mention using the folder plugins as backup. What I don't understand is how the restore process work?  is it a simple file copy procedure? if that the case the plugin file structure makes it difficult because the structure is different than the normale media stucture. Especially tv episode isn't saved in a seasons folder. I think a wiki section about restore would be a good thing.

I was trying to use the folder plugins to sync content to a second emby server and import it here. Movie is okay, but tv episodes is shown as a single episodes and not located under the correct show or season. Hope this will be improved in the future.