Emby automatic server updates appear broken

pclausen

pclausen

So I was on 3.0.5557.20000 and the 3.0.5557.30000 version downloaded and "installed" but when I clicked "Restart to complete installation", it never came back up.  So I browsed to c:\users\peter\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System and double clicked MediaBrowser.serverApplication.exe, but the resulted in version 3.0.5557.20000 starting up again.  It then detected the available update, and the whole process repeated over again.

After 3 tries with the same result, I just went to the website and downloaded and installed version 3.0.5557.30000 and it properly installed into c:\users\peter\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System and all is well now.

Had this exact same issue on the previous update, so that's why I'm posting here.

I'm running Windows 10 build 10041, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Anyone else having this annoying issue?

Beardyname

When you are pressing the restart button, could you make sure there are no rouge ffmpg processes running in the background?

Other than that, make sure that emby has write permissions for the said folder (It should but it sounds the update can't get installed)

pclausen

What user does emby employ?  Here are my current permissions for that folder:

mediabrowserfolderpermissions.JPG

In what is perhaps a related issue, I just noticed that emby in not updating metadata in my media folders for new shows that I add.

Here are the permissions I have set for my folder containing all my media:

pooldrivepermissions.JPG

This "folder" is actually a StableBit drivepool folder that is very large (72TB), but to the OS, it appears as just another drive.  I recently converted from tRAID to snapraid / drivepool.  So that might be related to the 2nd issue, but I would not think it would be related to the first one, since my C: drive was never changed during this conversion.

I'm using UNC references within emby to link the the subfolders for my library.  For example, for my TV Shows, it is:

\\argon\TV Series

And the permissions currently set for that is:

pooldrivepermissions2.JPG

Any insight would be appreciated!

Peter

Edited by pclausen

Crysallis

I'm seeing the same issue.... .3000 will download but not install.  When running the install manually I get the same permissions issue on the \system folder.  I'm the only user and an administrator on my PC.  I think something in the update is broken.  I'd be glad to post what ever was needed to aid

MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Creating install session for server
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Installing Media Browser Server
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Attempting to retrieve latest version of MBServer
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Found 1 versions.  Will choose latest one of Beta class
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Version is 3.0.5557.30000
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Downloading Media Browser Server version 3.0.5557.30000
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Successfully downloaded version 3.0.5557.30000
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Starting extract package.
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Creating backup by moving C:\Users\Crysallis\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System to C:\Users\Crysallis\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System.old
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Error: 0 : Error creating backup. Access to the path 'C:\Users\Crysallis\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System' is denied.
MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe Error: 0 : Final extract failure.  Installation aborting.

I manually renamed system to system.old and it was able to install
Edited by Crysallis

Beardyname

It's running as the first Administrator account if i recall correctly, but seeing as @@Crysallis has the same problem I'm not sure, however the "access to path" error is something i believe is beyond the scope of MBS so not sure what's up with that :/

Maybe we need to get a dev in here to take a look.

• 2 weeks later...
Crysallis

So I want to add more to this.. 

Each upgrade since this one.. has had this issue.  It looks like not all the file handles are being released for the \system folder to be renamed...deleted..edited by the update app.  

The highlighted system handle isn't released when the app closes to update.. it's not until about 30 seconds or so after the update app dies that this handle is released and I can manually rename the folder and copy the content of the update.zip in.

If I can provide any additional help let me know.

V0Bglm1.png

• 2 weeks later...
Crysallis

I'm not sure if anyone is still watching this.. but this problem has not gone away... it happens with every single update.... 

The process holding the handle is the System itself.  Do you have any real-time anti-malware stuff installed or anything else that might be interfering here?

Stieglitz

For what it's worth, I'm experiencing this as well. The only difference for me is that I'm not seeing system holding anything after the server shuts down.

Update log: http://hastebin.com/uginivohos.tex

Server log: http://hastebin.com/ezehicuwuv.tex

I've checked permissions. Everything looks fine on that front. Just for fun, I tried running the server as admin and got nothing. Also tried running the updater as admin while the server was not running and was similarly unsuccessful.

Also, no hanging FFMPEG processes.

A manual download of the new server installed on top of the old server does apply the update, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the auto-updater.

Edited by Stieglitz

We need to figure out what you guys have in common.  Must be something or this issue would be much more widespread.

Crysallis

So I found a possible cause for my issue... I'll test after the next release.. I'll change back to beta updates and then I'll post the answer if it worked.. Don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase should it be wrong.   and To answer.. yes I have AV running on my PC but this hasn't changed.  I use Webroot gamer edition... but not until .3000 beta did I have any issues.. updates were fine until then.  

Crysallis

So... this last update went without issue.. renamed the folder and restarted no issue.. I did in fact have this service disabled... so I hope this fixes the issue and if so.. may help someone else with this odd issue.

Here's another possible cause I've found:

There is a bug in Windows 7 and likely in Windows Server 2008 (possibly 64bit versions only). It surfaces when you disable Application Experience service and causes the same problems as described in the question.

Re-enabling this service has fixed this problem for me.

A bit more info here as to why it's causing a problem.

Edited by Crysallis
  • Like 1

Beauty - thanks very much for sharing.  Although, that is so obscure I wonder if it is the problem for the others.  Anyone...?