Pass through audio?

Jvtm

Hey there @@7illusions

Love the app so much I upgraded my Livingroom pc to win8.1 :) unfortunately I didn't do my research and it seems that there is no good marriage of your gorgeous app interface and direct streaming of blu Ray mkv rips with dts. I hope I'm mistaken.

Is there in fact a good way to use the app and get audio pass through to my 5.1 amp? I was previously using win7/WMC/powerdvd 14 as external player. Is there some way to get that sort of experience while enjoying the ease of use and great interface of your app? Hope I'm not asking for too much :) dare to dream.

Jvtm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7illusions

In the current version that is not possible. There's a new version knocking on the door though where, thanks to @@Vicpa s ideas and thorough testing, big improvements has been made around this area.

I really think he's the best person to let you know what works and not, since he's done all the testing on this.

Thats really good news @@7illusions I have high hopes. @@Vicpa if you don't mind, id love to hear what you have in store. If you guys need help testing Id gladly lend a hand. I'm not a programmer but I can help.

Edited by Jvtm

Vicpa

Hi,

Well..  "I didn't do my research and it seems that there is no good marriage of your gorgeous app interface and direct streaming of blu Ray mkv rips with dts" I think it is a good marriage just not perfect.... yet.. :)

Quick background. The app player uses Microsoft tech "Media Foundation" Even though it was released in Win 7 (maybe Vista) MS still supports its predecessor Direct Show. Arguments about which is better etc are moot. The third party folks are still mostly in the Direct Show world, So you pretty much have to rely on MS. So........

In WIN 8 (Note distinction :) ) MKV support is not native. The app does the next best thing. It does a stream copy of the video and audio. MKV's will "copy" video h264 and "aac,ac3,eac3" bummer no dts. Well there is no DTS support in Win8, bitsttream or waspi is only hope. No one is doing that with media foundation yet. There is one possibility maybe to build it but would be bleeding edge.

So the app will convert the DTS audio to a format of your choice. The video is still a "copy" so the overhead on the server is pretty low. Like I said not perfect but good.

Bottom line MKV support is handled transparently If ac3 or less plays "natively" if dts plays native video and converted audio, 

Win 10 works differently, better but not out yet, we can discuss in a different thread if you like.

-Vicpa

Sure you have questions unless your head is spinning "Lay it on me" :)

Thanks @@Vicpa that sounds like a good solution considering the constraints you guys are working under. My first question is when do I get to try it? :)

One question more: what if the molkv had both dts and ac3 audio tracks? Will it automatically choose the ac3 or will we need to manually choose it somehow?

Deathsquirrel

Unless it's been changed, it will start playing the default track and you can select a different track in the UI if you wish.

Vicpa

Hi,

I think deathsquirrel is right it will play the default track. Let me see where is my feature request form "play best available native track or have a choice like for language defaults" :)

Probably in a couple days, literally days , see 7illusions post about timing. 

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hey @@Jvtm

Just had a thought, I have AC3 setup as my default transcode. So if your mkv rip with both audio DTS and AC3 is not from source. ie DTS audio and you ripped an extra AC3 track, you end up with the same thing The conversion is just done on the fly. Relatively low overhead, and for whatever reason less (about 10%) than a conversion to aac. 

In win 10 the app will play mkv's directly so the feature request is still valid just not as urgent. :)

• Like 1

Ha! Awesome. One question- I have several mkv blu Ray rips where I have DTS-HD-MA and which my receiver used to get from PowerDVD14. For these movies I would love to be able to still hear this audio, so (another request coming up!) is it possible to add external players to the 8.1 App Store Emby App? :) @@7illusions is this a step backwards in your mind? I don't mind transcoding to other formats on occasion but I would hate to totally give up on Master Audio. Thanks again for all the help @@Vicpa

• Like 1

Hey @@7illusions the more I think about it, an external player would be perfect for me and probably for a many others who might resist the changeover to Win8.1 for lack of WMC (or not wanting to pay all that cash for an outdated player...200USD more just for WMC???)

Would it be a lot of work to add the ability to use external players? With the App Store interface and powerdvd 14's ability to play pretty much everything natively I'd be in hog heaven!

Vicpa

Hi,

I haven't given up on pass through audio :) Bitstream or wasapi not only helps the dts issue but also gives joy to the music lovers out there.

External players are @ @7illusions call obviously. I am holding out hope that MS or the HDMI audio driver folks Intel et al. build pass through into win 10. Which solves the problem. Or I will just keep bugging 7 to build it for the app :P .

MS should do something they plan to support mkv natively in win 10. Won't be a good UX if dts doesn't work. Doubt they will license the codec, must be expensive. 

If it is any consolation VLC for Win 8 doesn't handle dts and doesn't have an elegant fallback. Don't know if you saw the VLC folks at "A Legal Request" had to pull AC3 support from their ios app.  Hopefully not the tip of the iceberg for them.

Hey @@Vicpa

Agreed, pass through would be very nice. I actually don't care much about what method is used as long as 1) I can benefit from the Emby user interface, and 2) get the highest quality audio possible. For me, that's anything that gets me as close to being able to hear the DTS HD MA track. Getting DTS is good too but may as well try for the best my hardware can do. :)

Hey @@7illusions , slightly off topic but will we be seeing subtitle support in the app anytime? Thanks for all your effort!

7illusions

The app already support subtitles.

Just right click while playing a video and click on the button that says "cc"

Yeah I thought so, but I tried on a movie that had external subtitles and nothing came up. These were .srt type. I'll try other formats.

Another off topic question here- @@7illusions, do you have any thoughts on porting your app to xbox one? Is there anyone working on an Xbox one native app (with MKV/dts support, of course :) )

I hope I don't come across as demanding. I'm just enthusiastic :)