Disable Remote Access?

Christian_S

Christian_S

Hi,

I'm new to MBv3. I've been using MBv2 within VMC for years and it's been working great.

I've now installed MBv3 Server to see what it is. I'm very impressed. I can stream media my iphone and ipad within the home and it even works remotely as well.

I am however, a bit worried about having the server available for remote use from a security point of view.

Is there a way to disable the Remote Access all together?

I'm thinking that if I need remote access then I could setup a VPN instead into my home network and then my client (laptop, iphone, ipad) would first connect via VPN and then behave like it does on the LAN.

I'm sure we'll have that setting at some point but we don't right now. In the meantime you can make sure every user has a password. You can also use your router to block it externally.

Beardyname

To disable remote access, disable upnp in the server and make sure your firewall on the router is on. After upnp in the server has been deactivated make sure to give it a restart.

If you want a testing tool i recommend canyouseeme.org and type in the port on which you are running MBS

Christian_S

Well, I got a VPN setup working now and I'm able to use that for remote usage.

I unchecked "enable automatic port mapping" on the MBv3 Server.

Under Hosting there are various ports mentioned for http and https.

I changed the ports for remote access to be above the normal range, so now the ports are larger than 65535.

I think this should do the trick.

Thanks Luke & Beardyname.

Edited by Christian_S
  • Like 1

itsrumsey

There is no need to change the ports, they won't be open from the firewall / router anyway unless you explicitly created rules to allow traffic through and forward to your emby server.