xodi vs media portal

iPenguin02

iPenguin02

I recently just built a new rig and turn my old pc into a htpc and was wondering which does everyone prefer.

What i am looking for:

Easy on installation and setting up.

user friendliness.

Abundant addins and customizations.

hoping there was a way to get one of them centralized, meaning installed on a server and the client pcs pull settings from there, but from what i was able to gather thats not possible. This would minimize the amount of setups if i were to build another htpc for fun.

I got have a hyperspin arcade as well, which one would be best for that arcade? Or should i just run the not use hyperspin and run the emulators on their own using one of these programs or the game addon with media browser. Suggestions on this?

Please let me know which you think i should go with and why from your experience. Thanks in advanced.

Koleckai Silvestri

You can use both if you wish. Emmy provides the centralized server you want and a number of client for mobiles devices and media players like the Roku. It also has a slowly growing number of channels you can add. It also supports live television if you have the hardware.

Kodi provides a heavy client for more capable machines. To access your Emby library install the Emby plugin which acts as a bridge. Then you can install all the plugins and customized Emby-compatible themes you want.

Personally, I abandoned Kodi for Emby based solutions all around. The Roku provides a solid bedroom client without the higher cost of an HTPC. It also supports pass-thru audio on higher end models. Plus the Roku has more channels than any other device. We don't use it for games though.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Macburp

If you're planning to use windows on your new htpc then it should be Emby Classic (for use with WMC) - the most mature client and IMHO the best. Kodi is a fine piece of software but it does have the steepest of learning curves to get set up right. Having said that if you're a linux man Kodi is the only way.

For 2nd TVs the Roku is a great box but I find the interface a bit dull. Another alternative is Android TV and/or android boxes, but that tech is not too mature at the moment.

Read around these forums before going much further.

iPenguin02

Media browser it turning into by right? I love media browser, but its missing some plugins that xodi has like ice films and variations like it. Wish the trailer plugin only showed trailers to movies you have in your library.

Seems like you guys dont recommend media portal at all?

Any recommendations for the em ulators? Hyperspin or just use the game plugin on Media Browser?

Edited by iPenguin02

Macburp

Media browser it turning into by right? I love media browser, but its missing some plugins that xodi has like ice films and variations like it. Wish the trailer plugin only showed trailers to movies you have in your library.

Seems like you guys dont recommend media portal at all?

Any recommendations for the em ulators? Hyperspin or just use the game plugin on Media Browser?

You can have the best of both worlds - Kodi with all its plug-ins, but using Emby / Mediabrowser as the server back end. Do have a good read over at the Kodi forum on here to see how it's done.

Not much experience of Media Portal, although it is one of the Live TV backends used here.