Buffering on Roku

pt1xoom

pt1xoom

Hi,

Normally I would never complain about this, but...

On the Roku app, the Roku is buffering some of the show in it's internal memory.  This is a great option is you have a slow connection and want to watch something in a high bit rate; however, I have a situation where I want to limit the amount of internal memory the Roku uses.  The problem this causes is my daughter is away at college.  When she is watching something remotely, the Roku is using all of my upload bandwidth, and no one else remotely can use any of the system because the Roku is using all of the bandwidth.  Another way of explain is I have the Roku app set up to use only 1 Mbps, but when she starts a show, upload goes to 5 Mbps until the show is uploaded to the Roku's memory.

There is no problem with the playback. And, it works great as long as no one else want to watch something.  Inside my network, I'm not affected.

Is there a setting I'm missing where I can limit the internal buffer?

Great App by the way.  It almost make me want to buy one for my home, but I have Kodi all over my house.

Neither you nor we have access to control how the device buffers.

But i'm not sure the 5mpbs theory you have is entirely correct. If you set the bitrate in the app to 1mbps, the server will limit the output to that at all times. what might be happening is the client might be downloading initially at that full speed, and then slowing down once a buffer has built up. but i can't see how it would spike from 1 to 5. you might want to try lowering it even more.

pt1xoom

Neither you nor we have access to control how the device buffers.

But i'm not sure the 5mpbs theory you have is entirely correct. If you set the bitrate in the app to 1mbps, the server will limit the output to that at all times. what might be happening is the client might be downloading initially at that full speed, and then slowing down once a buffer has built up. but i can't see how it would spike from 1 to 5. you might want to try lowering it even more.

The server is indeed transcoding the file to 1 mpbs, so it is working correctly.  I also agree that the server is transcoding the entire file faster than is being play, therefore making the file available to the Roku at full upload/download capacity until the buffer is full, then it slows down to normal 1 mpbs per second.

I will try to lower the bitrate on the Roku; however I expect to see the same results on the upload speed on my firewall.

Thanks for your answer.

well no that's not correct. if your setting is 1mpbs then it doesn't "slow down to 1mbps" because it won't exceed it in the first place