Status of iOS App?

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I know this is being worked on but can we get a status update. Like it is 50% complete. The reason I ask is this seems to be the black sheep of the family. Updates are going out right and left for Android, Roku, Windows, and the server with this app falling further and further behind. I also know more and more people are having issue's with the current app. Any word would be appreciated.

• Like 2

+1

I'm really looking forward the iPad app update/overhaul, hopefully adding music and sync support among other things that will levelize it with other apps for other platforms like Windows, Android, Windows Phone, etc.

Any kind of status update will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
mediacowboy

Are we any closer to getting a percentage or a teaser on the new iOS app? Also will it just support the iPad or iPhone at first or will it support the both right out of the gate?

• 2 weeks later...
scorchedcortex

+1

This app getting music/mp3 support will make my decision to become a lifetime supporter even easier! :)

Edited by scorchedcortex

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to know status, and specifically if this version of the iOS app will be open source? Community contribution is part of the reason I'd like to switch to Emby from Plex, but I noticed that the original pre-emby client appears to be closed source: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.iOS

The original app is from a separate developer. He still signs in once in a while and will push out updates for critical issues.

We will soon be releasing a new app from the core team that will be open source.

• Like 3

Fmstrat

The original app is from a separate developer. He still signs in once in a while and will push out updates for critical issues.

We will soon be releasing a new app from the core team that will be open source.

This is great to hear. Out of curiosity, will the iOS app support SSL? This and Roku SSL are the two items keeping me from switching over at this point. Thanks again.

Edited by Fmstrat

As far as SSL support goes, you guys have to recognize that the audience for it is small and thus, help out and report problems with it, rather than just waiting for it to happen. We have a pretty good size Roku user base, but when I called for testing help with SSL, nobody stepped up to help out. That tells me loud and clear that I shouldn't bother spending any time on it. So if you guys want that changed you have roll up your sleeves and help out with it.

Fmstrat

As far as SSL support goes, you guys have to recognize that the audience for it is small and thus, help out and report problems with it, rather than just waiting for it to happen. We have a pretty good size Roku user base, but when I called for testing help with SSL, nobody stepped up to help out. That tells me loud and clear that I shouldn't bother spending any time on it. So if you guys want that changed you have roll up your sleeves and help out with it.

First off, thanks for responding (and so quickly). I applaud how most of the admins are so active with users unlike "other" communities, and I would be happy to test SSL across any clients I'm capable of supporting.

That being said, I appreciate the comment (if not the tone). The audience for SSL is small because the audience doensn't know any better. That doesn't mean it's not one of the most important features since a "Delete all media" could very easily occur from an exploit.

To this point, I'm the author of the proof of concept with 430ish replies and 383 followers on the PlexPass forums showing how a few lines of Python code can grab all the media off a server which has led to a very active SSL discussion which led to reddit threads/etc and updates to all the clients that are in the works (https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/101886-proof-of-concept-token-exploit-please-fix-this-massive-security-hole/). I also contributed by identifying which clients were succeptable and created a temporary solution using nginx for the team to leverage as they considered full solutions (https://github.com/Fmstrat/plex-ssl). Part of my reason for investigating Emby was that it was 100% open source and appeared to have a better vision for security.

As for rolling up sleeves, I am only one day into Emby, and unfortunately was not around for your request. However, in this one day I have already reported SSL issues with Mono in the server's GitHub account (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/issues/1097) including debugging in multiple OSs Ubuntu/CentOS/Windows and an nginx temporary fix with an active discussion with administrators in the forum (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21017-ssl-errrors-with-startssl-cert/). Not to mention I've offered my services to create a migration plugin from Plex, which I'm sure would be beneficial to the entire team.

If you can't tell from the above, I'm obviously happy to jump in where I can around my other open source contributions (though time is limited due to ownCloud commitments).

For the Roku specifically, SSL likely won't work from just 5 minutes browsing the code. I'm no expert on BrightScript, but:

Also, since this isn't specifically related to the iOS thread we're in, please feel free to PM me for seperate discussion about SSL overall or how I can get involved.

Thanks again, and appologies for the novel, but I felt a longer response was warrented to keep this from an "It's important. No it's not." type of discussion that as you know can commonly occur on the forums when appropriate context is not included.

• Like 1

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of thing that will help our SSL support improve. Yes, we would like to get it perfected, we just need a little community help. Feel free to jump in the roku area and identify issues and I'll get them resolved. I'm not aware of the RoGridScreen limitation - you might be right, but RoGridScreen doesn't make any http requests on it's own. In any event, we would ilke to re-do our Roku UI and will be tackling that soon, although I would think ssl should work with the current one as well.

Fmstrat

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of thing that will help our SSL support improve. Yes, we would like to get it perfected, we just need a little community help. Feel free to jump in the roku area and identify issues and I'll get them resolved. I'm not aware of the RoGridScreen limitation - you might be right, but RoGridScreen doesn't make any http requests on it's own. In any event, we would ilke to re-do our Roku UI and will be tackling that soon, although I would think ssl should work with the current one as well.

Certainly, I'll look into the Roku client this weekend. Like I said, I'm no BrightScript expert. I just picked it up a little when working on Plex. The RoGridScreen issue revolves around not being able to display content that was pulled from HTTPS unless it was cached. It took a discussion directly with Roku to figure that out, but in the end they dropped off when we tried to get them to fix it in the Roku itself. Unfortunate. I'll figure out if the same caching issue applies based on how its integrated in the Roku and continue those conversations on GitHub

As for the iOS client, I'm happy to test that during the beta phase if you would like.

legallink

I didn't see the posting about the Roku either, but I am happy to test on any platform available to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
jscoys

Yeah I confirm, we really need an update. Today i'm using web access from my IPhone and IPad. But I don't access to the sync feature, really usefull in airplanes...

What I noticed is a lack of integration between all applications. For instance in iOS app you haven't got same bitrates to select as you can find in Web access, which doesn't have the same as in Android app...

That will be solved soon I'm happy to report. We have the finest testers the Emby community has to offer banging on the new app as we speak :)

• Like 2

jscoys

Thanks Luke and all developpers! You know why we are so rude with you? Because we love Emby ;-)

Untoten

<3 Luke.  I am seriously dying without the iOS, I love you guys for working so hard on this.  +1 for SSL on iOS, let me know if/how I can help.

I'm really looking forward to this. I just heard about Emby yesterday and it's already my favorite thing. Thanks for all the hard work, guys.

Thank you. It should be submitted to the store any day now for review.

• Like 1