Multiple Different Movies

pr3dict

pr3dict

So. The way my folder structure is looks like this...

Movies

....The Great Movie

........ The Great movie Bluray structure folders

........ Other releases Folder

............ The Great Movie 1080p.mkv

............ The Great Movie 720p.mkv

^^^^ It seems that the server stops scanning for any additional content after it finds the first movie in the folder with the movie in it...

The reason I have it like that is for organization because on my HTPC I want to watch the full Bluray rip but if I'm streaming I want to use lower bitrate rip....

ALSO The same applies for the following if it isnt a bluray structure but if I have any movie nested in a folder after another movie in the previous folder.. Anyone know of any best practices to use?

Movies

.... The Great Movie

......... The Great Movie 1080p.mkv (20gb)

......... The Great Movie 1080p.mkv (12gb)

When I set it up with the meta data correct with 1080p and 720p releases it works perfectly and shows that there is more then one movie but if there multiple of the same quality it does not show. 

Deathsquirrel

Honestly no idea if a folder rip and MKV mix like you describe is supported.  Given that folder rips are generally considered experimental and not really recommended, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer were no.

pr3dict

Folder rips are experimental? What would be a better way of copying your a movie from a disk? If you think about it, the most legitamte way to copy a movie you own is either a folder rip or an ISO and from what I understand an ISO is a lot harder to transcode/mount/playback then a folder rip.

My real issue is, how do I tell mediabrowser to keep scanning a folder structure once it has found a movie in a particular folder. It seems that it stops after finding the first one. I don't see a way to manually add folders unless I specifically add each one into the server settings but that would be pretty annoying to manage.

Is there a way we can get a "how many folders deep do you want me to scan" setting?

they are not experimental for general use. only for steaming and transcoding them to mobile clients.

foghat

So. The way my folder structure is looks like this...

Movies

....The Great Movie

........ The Great movie Bluray structure folders

........ Other releases Folder

............ The Great Movie 1080p.mkv

............ The Great Movie 720p.mkv

^^^^ It seems that the server stops scanning for any additional content after it finds the first movie in the folder with the movie in it...

The reason I have it like that is for organization because on my HTPC I want to watch the full Bluray rip but if I'm streaming I want to use lower bitrate rip....

ALSO The same applies for the following if it isnt a bluray structure but if I have any movie nested in a folder after another movie in the previous folder.. Anyone know of any best practices to use?

Movies

.... The Great Movie

......... The Great Movie 1080p.mkv (20gb)

......... The Great Movie 1080p.mkv (12gb)

When I set it up with the meta data correct with 1080p and 720p releases it works perfectly and shows that there is more then one movie but if there multiple of the same quality it does not show. 

It has been awhile, but I used to put extended versions and theatrical versions (as well as movies within a series) in the same root folder, it seemed to work fine.  I am not at home to check, but pretty sure my folder structure was something like this - everything I am listing is a folder - put the appropriate movie within the folder (obviously)  The root 'The Great Movie' folder does not contain any files, only subfolders:

Movies

- The Great Movie

-- The Great Movie (2014)

-- The Great Movie 1 (2014)

-- The Great Movie 2 (2014)

I honestly can't remember if I had to manually get the metadata for 1 and 2, but the movies themselves definitely showed up.  Perhaps if you were to name all the folders very similar, maybe the difference being a '.' at the end of the name, the scraper would pick them up and get the metadata.

Edited by foghat

pr3dict

Maybe thats my problem... the nested folder is called "Other releases" maybe I should be keeping the name ... Good point lol.

At the end of the day. The best best best feature EVER would be at the UI level while browsing, we can link movies together and tell the front end which movie to play manually. 

like it can just be a "Play" button and it will play whichever one it determines is right or a "Play - Manual" and it would then open a menu of which version to play. 

THAT. Would be perfect.

.... Because personally, I am a crazy person and need to watch the best release possible with 7.1 surround sound and want to make sure thats what I'm watching but my GF she doesnt care, a 720p stream for her would be perfectly fine especially during transcoding etc. 

Edited by pr3dict

Deathsquirrel

they are not experimental for general use. only for steaming and transcoding them to mobile clients.

Fair enough but can you mix folder rips and MKV copies of the same film in the same folder structure as he has done and, if so, is there a required format for the naming and folder structure?

You heard the man though, they're only experimental for most of the clients in existence ;)

foghat

Maybe thats my problem... the nested folder is called "Other releases" maybe I should be keeping the name ... Good point lol.

At the end of the day. The best best best feature EVER would be at the UI level while browsing, we can link movies together and tell the front end which movie to play manually. 

like it can just be a "Play" button and it will play whichever one it determines is right or a "Play - Manual" and it would then open a menu of which version to play. 

THAT. Would be perfect.

.... Because personally, I am a crazy person and need to watch the best release possible with 7.1 surround sound and want to make sure thats what I'm watching but my GF she doesnt care, a 720p stream for her would be perfectly fine especially during transcoding etc. 

I think your problem is also you have multiple movies in one folder.   Make sure you have one folder per movie and all folders containing movies are at the same level..

Why not just keep the best version and let the transcoding take care of the quality for playback on lesser devices?  That is what I do, works fine.

And why the folder rips vs. mkv?  For the menus?

Edited by foghat

pr3dict

I think your problem is also you have multiple movies in one folder.   Make sure you have one folder per movie and all folders containing movies are at the same level..

Why not just keep the best version and let the transcoding take care of the quality for playback on lesser devices?  That is what I do, works fine.

And why the folder rips vs. mkv?  For the menus?

Because I have multiple versions of the same movie lol. For a few different reasons.

1. the folder rips are just that. Untouched quality.

2. Most of the MKVs are not remux's. Some are encodes that lose out on quality but I keep them because of what people above are saying (Transcoding folder rips are experimental)

3. I have a lot of  "shared movies" and even though I may share my folder rip of a bluray most people don't want that they want the 720p rip and that is more popular in the "Sharing" world... So... I keep it. 

3.5 to keep things organized I keep all the copies of every movie I have in a folder structure that is typical of a movie database. I don't keep the ones that I would just want to watch and the ones i "share" separate. That would cause headache when I try to find the movies that I have etc. 

Deathsquirrel

Because I have multiple versions of the same movie lol. For a few different reasons.

FYI you can keep your movies as MKV without touching the original source quality in any way.  It's simple moving the video and audio data to a better container for use with tools like this.  The ONLY reason to use folder rips that I'm aware of is a fondness for the original disc menus.  Those awful, awful, menus. :)

If you just want the original audio and video streams run the rips though makeMKV.  It will spit out individual MKVs for every track on the disc that will play on far more platforms than what you're doing now.

pr3dict

FYI you can keep your movies as MKV without touching the original source quality in any way.  It's simple moving the video and audio data to a better container for use with tools like this.  The ONLY reason to use folder rips that I'm aware of is a fondness for the original disc menus.  Those awful, awful, menus. :)

If you just want the original audio and video streams run the rips though makeMKV.  It will spit out individual MKVs for every track on the disc that will play on far more platforms than what you're doing now.

I feel ya. Idk, its like my last pack rat habit of mine that I can't let go of. I used to keep iso's of everything. I've since started doing what you just said which is getting remux mkvs. I have an idea that the the original way it was created has the best quality no matter what goes through my mind. It's kinda like how 3d blurays can't be in any other format for the bluray players to make it hdmi 3d or whatever you wanna call it. 

It just is.

Pais

You don't seem to be following the Multi-resolution movie naming convention as documented in the Wiki. You probably should look into that and see if it resolves any of your issues.

foghat

2. Most of the MKVs are not remux's. Some are encodes that lose out on quality but I keep them because of what people above are saying (Transcoding folder rips are experimental)

3. I have a lot of  "shared movies" and even though I may share my folder rip of a bluray most people don't want that they want the 720p rip and that is more popular in the "Sharing" world... So... I keep it. 

3.5 to keep things organized I keep all the copies of every movie I have in a folder structure that is typical of a movie database. I don't keep the ones that I would just want to watch and the ones i "share" separate. That would cause headache when I try to find the movies that I have etc. 

I get you have multiple versions, my point was you need one folder for each version, don't put them all in a single folder.

Another vote for just using makemkv and being done with it.  Will also save you some hard drive space - assuming you don't rip all the audio tracks and special features.

pr3dict

I get you have multiple versions, my point was you need one folder for each version, don't put them all in a single folder.

Another vote for just using makemkv and being done with it.  Will also save you some hard drive space - assuming you don't rip all the audio tracks and special features.

At the same time, how hard would it be to let us decide on the UI level, what version to use? The metadata can already group movies together no? So why not just let us say, I wanna playt his version or this version... Kinda the same with a directors cut version of a movie ect.

foghat

You don't seem to be following the Multi-resolution movie naming convention as documented in the Wiki. You probably should look into that and see if it resolves any of your issues.

And there you go.  This is probably exactly what you need.

pr3dict

And there you go.  This is probably exactly what you need.

I am doing that when I have more then 1 resolution but I sometimes have 2 1080p of the same movie, or a 1080folder rip and a 1080mkv....

This all stemmed from the problem that I don't seem to be able to nest folders inside of folderst hat have movies files in them. That was my original issue. This has grown to turn into a very different discussion. 

foghat

I am doing that when I have more then 1 resolution but I sometimes have 2 1080p of the same movie, or a 1080folder rip and a 1080mkv....

This all stemmed from the problem that I don't seem to be able to nest folders inside of folderst hat have movies files in them. That was my original issue. This has grown to turn into a very different discussion. 

Well, give my folder suggestion a try. 

Or turn your folder rips into a 1:1 mkv and be done with it.

Edited by foghat

pr3dict

Well, give my folder suggestion a try. 

Or turn your folder rips into a 1:1 mkv and be done with it.

When I get home later I will deff give the folder suggestion a try. It's still not as easy as ripping 1:1 because if I have multiple 1080p movies in a folder it will only pull the first. Hopefully everyting will work out though ;)

Deathsquirrel

When I get home later I will deff give the folder suggestion a try. It's still not as easy as ripping 1:1 because if I have multiple 1080p movies in a folder it will only pull the first. Hopefully everyting will work out though ;)

When you say you would have multiple 1080p movies in a single folder do you mean different bit rates of the exact same movie or a director's cut and a theatrical release?  If it's the former I don't think we can help.  If it's the latter, the different cuts currently have to be in different folders.  You can then create a collection to group them together in the UI.

foghat

According to the wiki, it sounds like having the '-' in the file name is key.  I wonder if after the dash can be named what you want?  So maybe, 'awesome movie - 1080p hi.mkv' and 'awesome movie - 1080p lo.mkv'? If that doesn't work, I bet there is a way around it.  Maybe you just call the lower quality ones '- 108p.mkv'

fwiw, your current naming convention does not include the dash, so you probably aren't seeing things as they should be displayed when using the proper naming convention.  Though with your current structure, your folder rip folder may be messing everything up anyways .

Edited by foghat

foghat

When you say you would have multiple 1080p movies in a single folder do you mean different bit rates of the exact same movie or a director's cut and a theatrical release?  If it's the former I don't think we can help.  If it's the latter, the different cuts currently have to be in different folders.  You can then create a collection to group them together in the UI.

If it's the former, multiple folders should still work. 

I think you can solve this with a slightly different structure as suggested by others but I urge you to move away from folder rips.  Software playback of disc-based formats is going the way of the dinosaurs (actually, has already gone).  For future compatibility with everything I strongly suggest ripping to mkv or mp4.