System Crashed, Slow External Streaming Now

jahblessed

jahblessed

System Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 rev 1.1

CPU             : Intel Core i7-4820k with Corsair Hydro H110

Graphics      : Gigabyte R9 280x 3GB OC

Memory        : 64GB (8x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 240-pin DDR3 2400 (PC3-19200) QUAD CHANNEL

Main HDD     : Samsung EVO 850 500GB

Other HDD   : 1 x 1TB WD Caviar Black (for transcoding purposes / cache / folder art / etc )

8 x 4TB Seagate Barracuda XT (Raid 5 Configuration via NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 RAID) for Media content

Internet        : Verizon Fios Quantum 150/150 (all my wiring within my home network is Cat5e with gigabit switches/ports)

OS               : Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Power Supply: 1200w modular power supply

Modem         : Fios Wireless AC Router/modem

simply put, my server was working flawlessly before my SSD decided to fail (power outage bricked the drive) so i replaced and proceeded to reinstall fresh. i never updated mediaserver3 since around April 2014 and decided to install the latest version. before, if i recall correctly, i did very little work in terms of configuring the server.. all i did was set the paths of the media, created accounts and customized the initial display page for the users. This time around i did a quick test after MB3 rescanned the libraries and the media played fine when connected via LAN (wireless on Android devices and hardwired to Other devices like my Samsung SmartTV and pc's). When i attempt to stream from outside my network, majority of the videos just hang as if it was in the process of buffering and never display. i even dropped the quality streaming (on device end) to around 200 and still nothing. i experience this mostly with video content that are of 720p source and higher or if a video source was of 720p+ but encoded to xvid format. i updated all of my codec packs and made sure the appropriate ports were forwarded on the router itself but still experience the lag. hardware wise, im very sure my setup can handle it and i believe this to be something with the encoding/transcoding settings that i may not have done correctly (left everything default). maybe someone can help me out in figuring out what my issue is?

Also, i was just reading that there is now GPU transcoding but only for NVIDIA and certain Intel CPUS (my cpu is not one of them). would it be better to change my graphics card to a nvidia based one? if so, which one would one recommend that would give me the greatest performance in transcoding but also works along the CPU so that not one is over worked more than the other? i stream to multiple devices at a time, possibly 3 via LAN and 2 externally at any given time so want all devices to experience the best possible quality. thank you guys in advance for taking the time to read this lengthy explanation.

Edited by jahblessed

Tranquil

Hi.

Please specify which version ov Emby Server you are running now exactly. 

Furthermore, pls add a Transcode log to your post so that we can see what happen there.

GPU transcoding is not supported yet in an official way, so this is not the point on your setup. More likely that your internet bandwidth exceeds.