I'm not even sure I would call this an alpha because it's not even close to feature complete. This application has a long way to go, but what we have is somewhat stable. That's going to be the pattern. Things will be added slowly to retain stability so that it remains usable.
You should only use this application if:
- You can accept what it can do and what is not yet implemented. Please read below.
- You can accept slow and gradual development. The server and api are always top priorities.
- You like new ideas. That's what this app is trying to do. It's not trying to replicate any other existing application, so consider it an open slate.
- You don't mind instability with early adopter software.
- You can accept rapid updates. I will of course alert you all of noteworthy changes, but builds that fix rinky dink issues may come unannounced. The updating is chrome-like so you may not even notice it.
This application is designed for use with a remote. Navigating with a mouse is of course, supported, but you may find it leaves a bit to be desired, e.g. menus moving too fast. Of course this will improve with time, but priority lies with remote control usage.
- Browse library
- TV/Movie/Game views
- Audio/Video playback through custom built direct-show based player
- Installs and utilizes LAV Filters, XYVsFilter
- Supports Reclock, MadVr, XYSubFilter
- Plays theme videos and theme songs
- Change subtitles & audio using OSD
- Supports MCE remote controls
- Supports api remote control using other Media Browser apps
- Automatic updates
- External players - all media types can use them, including games.
- Backdrop screen saver
- Auto-login options
- On-screen keyboard
What's not done (aka the roadmap, unordered):
- Mapping the Info button on MCE remotes. For now, use * to pull up the OSD
- Mapping the green button on MCE remotes
- Music. You can click play, but that's about it. There is no queuing, and no custom music view yet.
- Dvd menu support
- External subtitle support
- Live TV
- Mad vr exclusive mode
- Auto-scrolling overviews
- LibRetro integration for games
- Graphical anomalies if your system DPI setting is not 100%, e.g. fuzzy text, video not occupying the full window, etc.
- Some of the tabs have preset sort options (e.g. New Releases). There's some bugginess with these tabs when trying to change sort order.
- I wasn't able to finish the Upcoming TV tab in time for this. It currently just shows tv series. It's a placeholder.
- Navigation with a mouse can be cumbersome (things moving too quickly).
Can you add support for feature [xyz]?
Make a feature request thread. It will surely get lost or forgotten if asked in here.
I want to see some of those roadmap items get done faster. How can I help?
Go on Github and find me a strong WPF developer. Send messages to Armand, EchoStorm and ccrocker1, and offer them some incentive.