Emby Theater

Luke

shaefurr

I can not connect from the outside of my router with the Emby Theater on windows 7. I can connect and play through IE11 from the outside. They both work from the inside the router. The new ios app works the same way inside fine but outside fails.

I have port forward setup.

The error is "unable to establish connection with the server Please check your connection and try again."

john

If you go to http://canyouseeme.org/ on your emby server and enter 8096 it shows the port is open?

lulzyatlas

I think there are plans for a beta soon, but no ETA sorry.

Why wasn't the Alpha version pushed to those of us with Dev selected instead of Beta or Release as our update branch in the settings?

Edited by lulzyatlas

Koleckai Silvestri

Why wasn't the Alpha version pushed to those of us with Dev selected instead of Beta or Release as our update branch in the settings?

They have decided that the users aren't capable of running an alpha and decided to close the source of the project at this time.

Latchmor

...decided that the users aren't capable of running an alpha...

Really? You think there was a discussion where someone actually thought/said that?  :wacko:

Everybody is keen for the new version, everybody has been very patient and hopefully there will be more info soon but adding comments like that just riles others up for no reason.

All I can tell you is that my mood/life/health hasn't changed because I don't have another way to watch stuff. Just be happy it's on the way. (yes I know you've been told that before)

Relax people  :)

• Like 4

They have decided that the users aren't capable of running an alpha and decided to close the source of the project at this time.

Actually the only reason for closing the source until release is so that we can control timing of when screenshots and other tidbits come out to the public.After release it will be fully open source just like our other apps.

• Like 4

Koleckai Silvestri

Really? You think there was a discussion where someone actually thought/said that?  :wacko:

Actually yes. It was said in the other topic on the new version that an Alpha wasn't available because too many bugs would be reported. Don't remember by who.

Oh well... Easier and easier to get less passionate about it. Getting to the point that checking to see if it has been released is a waste of time every day.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Cheesegeezer

Actually yes. It was said in the other topic on the new version that an Alpha wasn't available because too many bugs would be reported. Don't remember by who.

Very different to what you originally said!

here is an exciting tidbit. This was said in the developer forum a couple days ago by someone with access to the source code.

Just wanted to shared that I hadn't really fiddled around with it that much before today, but holy cow it really is going to be obscenely easy to theme this version of MBT.  i was dubious because I don't have great design skills, but just tinkering around making a theme I found that I can do everything I want with relative ease.... kudos Luke.
  • Like 2

Latchmor

Mmm, a large chunk of poetic licence there.

Have a nice day  ;)

Edit: Oops that wasn't directed at your post Luke! Timing  :blink:

Edited by Latchmor

yardameus

I'm really excited at the relative ease of theming.  I'm silently hopeful that I may actually be able to learn how to do it.

• Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

Oh well... Easier and easier to get less passionate about it. Getting to the point that checking to see if it has been released is a waste of time every day.

Surely this is the whole reason for an alpha or beta release? Get it out to the public and let them report errors and bugs that the Dev's may have completely missed. Being a beta, users would be fully aware of limited functionality and/or bugs. I appreciate that Luke and the other team of Dev's want to release a near perfect system but the rewrite has been ongoing for over a year now, and the current theater is technically a beta product still. There could even be a mass of coders or Dev's signed up here that could help move the project on faster but limited access to the code means limited Dev's to work on the system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vidman

The problem is alot of users are NOT fully aware of limited functionality and/or bugs and see betas as early releases so instead of helping development, they hinder it by bugging devs for help instead of providing useful feedback for devs

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

I completely appreciate that, I can understand that there are probably thousands of users who would install the beta and complain of limited functionality, but on the flip side from browsing the forum, there is a huge wealth of knowledge between users and willingness to test and report. I've spent many years beta testing for Microsoft and various other major software companies, I can't code but I can test and push software and find weaknesses or bugs that have been overlooked. The whole reason for beta testing is to get a wider breadth of knowledge under different system setups that might not be available to the devs, and as such mean certain aspects can't be fully tested. Agreed a beta shouldn't be pushed to the public as such, but perhaps having a closed beta with an NDA and a correct system put in place for reporting bugs would help Luke and the team exponentially?

Deathsquirrel

I completely appreciate that, I can understand that there are probably thousands of users who would install the beta and complain of limited functionality, but on the flip side from browsing the forum, there is a huge wealth of knowledge between users and willingness to test and report. I've spent many years beta testing for Microsoft and various other major software companies, I can't code but I can test and push software and find weaknesses or bugs that have been overlooked. The whole reason for beta testing is to get a wider breadth of knowledge under different system setups that might not be available to the devs, and as such mean certain aspects can't be fully tested. Agreed a beta shouldn't be pushed to the public as such, but perhaps having a closed beta with an NDA and a correct system put in place for reporting bugs would help Luke and the team exponentially?

They're having a closed beta at this time.  People keep assuming it doesn't exist because they aren't in it.

• Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

They're having a closed beta at this time. People keep assuming it doesn't exist because they aren't in it.

thats fair enough then. I think the main cause of constant questions is the lack of communication. The public userbase doesn't have a clue what's going on, they are just told "it's coming, have patience". We all understand that work is constantly being done but I've been here for a long time now and see the same cycle over and over. Perhaps blog roll a scratch list of what's left to do so that users can physically see how long things will be? I'm not complaining or trying to cause issues, just thinking out loud and posing suggestions that may or may not work. The forums are a community, give us a chance to give back.

shaefurr

I understand the publics concern about the amount of time this rework is taking. But there was just recently a teaser about it's progress, which if you look at the original 2 preview blog posts from over 6 months ago you'll notice is has drastically changed in that time. Take that into mind when wondering what's taking so long for release.

Hang in there, once you get your hands on it you'll forget all about it's development time. Trust be it will be worth the wait.

sent from my lumia icon

• Like 2

b0dyr0ck2006

I can take it or leave it, the waiting game isn't a problem. I'm just seeing if there is a way to keep users up to date better as the information passed is little at the best of times plus Luke asks for coders but as far as I can see there has never been a call for testers?

I am really excited to see that Emby Theater has gone Multi-Platform with the possibility of release on other platforms. This will hopefully give Emby some "standard" and more consistency in appearance/use (something which was a bit of a drawback of Emby till now). Thank you for this - cannot wait.

Edited by Pine
  • Like 2

shaefurr

I can take it or leave it, the waiting game isn't a problem. I'm just seeing if there is a way to keep users up to date better as the information passed is little at the best of times plus Luke asks for coders but as far as I can see there has never been a call for testers?

Well there's alpha testers already for most apps, which either turns into a small closed beta or a larger public beta. The original MBT for instance released as a beta to the entire community as it was being finished.

b0dyr0ck2006

Well there's alpha testers already for most apps, which either turns into a small closed beta or a larger public beta. The original MBT for instance released as a beta to the entire community as it was being finished.

With the greatest respect, MediaBrowser was never finished but abandoned for the rewrite. Then everything went very quiet on the Theater side for a long time, all the while the other branches seemed to be moving on well. Luke then announced that the theater was under a rewrite, which I believe was about a year ago and if memory serves me correct there has only been 2 official announcements regarding this since

Snapper

With the greatest respect, MediaBrowser was never finished but abandoned for the rewrite. Then everything went very quiet on the Theater side for a long time, all the while the other branches seemed to be moving on well. Luke then announced that the theater was under a rewrite, which I believe was about a year ago and if memory serves me correct there has only been 2 official announcements regarding this since

I get your frustration.  I think all of us waiting for a new theater client are frustrated at the time it's taking.  It's the price we have to pay to get the best product they can deliver.  Let's not forget that it would be done by now if they made compromises on the final product instead of really pushing to make it the best they can.

As for the communication and announcements, you should be used to that by now.  How many other software companies openly communicate what they are going to release?  Microsoft has beta releases, but they rarely communicate features they are still working on aside from major conferences like Build.  Apple sends out one communication before release and that's it.  You don't even get to try the beta unless you are a dev or download an illegal distribution of the beta.  A lot of other smaller companies don't release anything until it's done.  Microsoft is likely weeks or even days away from releasing the RTM build of their Windows Mobile OS, and they still haven't shared an actual release date yet.  Luke shared some pre-release info similar to what others would provide, but I am not sure why you feel so entitled to getting regular progress updates considering it is hardly the industry trend.

It is frustrating for all of us to not know when it will be released, but I can understand why they are not saying.  They have gotten burned by posting inaccurate timelines in the past.  Some people tend to be very unforgiving when they simply try to offer their best guess.  I doubt they are running this the way a commercial company would as well with dedicated project managers tracking progress to established timelines etc, and this is all being done in people's spare time.  It's hard to establish accurate dates when life and paid work tends to get in the way of what is really a hobby.

Edited by Snapper
  • Like 1

shaefurr

Thats understandable, the rewrite has taken longer than expected, but there's not much we can do except wait for it to get finished unless we want to learn to code and help out.

As far as Snappers post above, I have to agree about why no ETA is given, Emby isn't a large corporation with a ton of developers. The devs as it is have their plates full with various apps. Committing to a deadline for theater may negatively affect other Emby apps they maintain if they have to focus solely on theater to complete it on time. I think overall theater will release in a better state and other current apps will stay up to date if they just say "coming soon" and complete it when they can.

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

buddyweiser

Thats understandable, the rewrite has taken longer than expected, but there's not much we can do except wait for it to get finished unless we want to learn to code and help out.

What programming language should one learn if they were so interested in that?