Emby Theater

Luke

JoshuaAJones

What programming language should one learn if they were so interested in that?

I'd like to know as well.  I'm close to retirement and would love a new hobby that I could throw myself into.

puithove

I'd like to know as well.  I'm close to retirement and would love a new hobby that I could throw myself into.

What programming language should one learn if they were so interested in that?

Luke did a blog post recently about different ways to contribute:  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-181-learn-how-you-can-contribute-to-emby/

shaefurr

He mentions 5 languages, are they all required for ET?

I doubt it, that post was just about contributing to emby as a whole, not just emby theater.

Once a public beta is out, there will be a lot more we know about exactly what is possible from a contribution stand-point.  Until then, the list above are the technologies we deal with.  The mobile oriented ones (like java, javascript and html) are probably the most valuable overall regardless of Emby component.

lulzyatlas

Actually the only reason for closing the source until release is so that we can control timing of when screenshots and other tidbits come out to the public.After release it will be fully open source just like our other apps.

Actually yes. It was said in the other topic on the new version that an Alpha wasn't available because too many bugs would be reported. Don't remember by who.

Oh well... Easier and easier to get less passionate about it. Getting to the point that checking to see if it has been released is a waste of time every day.

That's more than a little ridiculous. Literally the entire point of opting into development builds is knowingly using partially broken software for a preview of new features at the expense of stability and functionality and contributing to the test cycle.

There's almost an unspoken disclaimer that comes with dev builds that says expect tons of bugs with no ETA on fixes. It's like...the point of a dev build, compiling a list of what's breakable in what environments so a roadmap of the biggest issues can be assemebled before release.

And bug reports are frowned upon now? It seems like the bigger Emby gets the further the community gets from it. Somehow the handful of threads we existed in on various forums during the MB2 era (or should we go even further back to the VideoBrowser era) as a WMC plugin with the glitchiest configurator exe seemed to be more involving.

In a decade of building software, arriving upon Droid roms, I understand not committing to an ETA with a small team, or looking to get uniform code bases ready for git forking before letting it go completely open source/open to community implemented features. But I completely don't understand locking experienced users out of the Dev build...for media timing? Before I hear "closed beta/open beta", there's a beta option for that.

Next time, just leave branch selection out of the update choices entirely, if they're going to be thrown out the window at a whim. If branding and monetization has become so important, close us out altogether.

Edited by lulzyatlas

Deathsquirrel

That's more than a little ridiculous. Literally the entire point of opting into development builds is knowingly using partially broken software for a preview of new features at the expense of stability and functionality and contributing to the test cycle.

There's almost an unspoken disclaimer that comes with dev builds that says expect tons of bugs with no ETA on fixes. It's like...the point of a dev build, compiling a list of what's breakable in what environments so a roadmap of the biggest issues can be assemebled before release.

And bug reports are frowned upon now? It seems like the bigger Emby gets the further the community gets from it. Somehow the handful of threads we existed in on various forums during the MB2 era (or should we go even further back to the VideoBrowser era) as a WMC plugin with the glitchiest configurator exe seemed to be more involving.

In a decade of building software, arriving upon Droid roms, I understand not committing to an ETA with a small team, or looking to get uniform code bases ready for git forking before letting it go completely open source/open to community implemented features. But I completely don't understand locking experienced users out of the Dev build...for media timing? Before I hear "closed beta/open beta", there's a beta option for that.

Next time, just leave branch selection out of the update choices entirely, if they're going to be thrown out the window at a whim. If branding and monetization has become so important, close us out altogether.

And when they hit the point of having a beta I expect that they'll want user feedback.  While features are still actively in development they don't need our feedback.  There is too much confusion about how things should work as things change too fast.

I've never been involved in a development effort that gave out code to end users before the main functions were code complete except in incredibly limited, controlled circumstances.

• Like 2

TheShanMan

This post is more than a little ridiculous. I presume in the current state they are fully aware of bugs and unimplemented features so there is literally no benefit in seeking feedback. Doing so would only slow them down as they have to deal with a barrage of feedback. While I've never used it, the dev branch is probably for more complete software that is not expected to be filled with bugs but lacks testing to give them the confidence that it's ready for promotion.

As much as I'm dying for news and to get my hands on ET, I don't get what's so hard to understand about the current state of affairs. Maybe it's because I'm a software developer myself but it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to understand.

• Like 2

lulzyatlas

Laughable  :lol:, have we reached that stage where all feedback is impervious to the fanboy shield?

I'll accept that no one knows what a development branch or what its use is, even the "software developer".

Have fun in the dark.

Edited by lulzyatlas

dark_slayer

I've never been involved in a development effort that gave out code to end users before the main functions were code complete except in incredibly limited, controlled circumstances.

Were any of those efforts open source?

MikeMcEwan

Every time the complainers come out I just want to come in here and offer my support to the developers. Can't wait to see the new Theater in action!

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Were any of those efforts open source?

Yes, I worked for about 5 years at a company that had an open source version of it's primary product.  Even open source dev teams get to decide when to release.  You're promised access to the source code, not a project manager role.

I want to see the new version.  Bitching about the development process doesn't speed that up and since I can't actually see that process, would be ridiculous.

Vidman

Laughable :lol:, have we reached that stage where all feedback is impervious to the fanboy shield?

I'll accept that no one knows what a development branch or what its use is, even the "software developer".

Have fun in the dark.

It seems you are the only one that doesn't know what a development branch or what is use is :)

,,,,and in the end..irritation mounts for one reason only: ET was anounched first (or almost) and is delivered last... We (or at least me.  :P) just like to see a replacement for WMC..  ​

• Like 1

swhitmore

So I just noticed that everything playing on MBT is now transcoding. I checked file access and everything seems to be ok. Is anyone else having this issue?

AdrianW

So I just noticed that everything playing on MBT is now transcoding. I checked file access and everything seems to be ok. Is anyone else having this issue?

Are you using the dev version? If so, read the end of the dev thread (post 1552) where Luke explains that it's transcoding at the moment but he'll fix it soon.

swhitmore

Are you using the dev version? If so, read the end of the dev thread (post 1552) where Luke explains that it's transcoding at the moment but he'll fix it soon.

Yeah I read that. However, this is on my regular machine with the existing version of MBT.

Edited by swhitmore

Xzener

The old MBT, no issues here. MKV playback with TrueHD audio playing nicely.

Edited by Xzener

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in to see if there were any updates. I'm really looking forward to this. I recently picked up a Surface Pro 4 and tried out the Win10 emby app, but for some reason it is rife with stuttering video problems. I installed Kodi+emby, and it runs great... but Kodi has a lousy touch interface. Would be nice to have a solid emby app for Windows to use on my SP4.

SHSPVR
z0mbi, on 01 Dec 2015 - 1:55 PM, said:

Just checking in to see if there were any updates. I'm really looking forward to this. I recently picked up a Surface Pro 4 and tried out the Win10 emby app, but for some reason it is rife with stuttering video problems. I installed Kodi+emby, and it runs great... but Kodi has a lousy touch interface. Would be nice to have a solid emby app for Windows to use on my SP4.

Hmm no problem here work just fine for me on my low end Dell 1440 laptop

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm no problem here work just fine for me on my low end Dell 1440 laptop

Just FYI, it seems to be a problem with the Surface Pro 4's and Surface books in particular. Some kind of Realtek audio driver issue. If a file has 5.1 or above DTS the emby app will not play it. 2-channel DTS and all other audio types I have encountered work just fine, to my knowledge.

• 1 month later...