Best way to backup and move MBS?

dannieboiz

dannieboiz

I plan on moving MBS to a dedicated server in the near future. What's the best way to do this? Is there a way to do a full backup and move it over with little to no reconfiguration needed? 

johnchimpo

If I understand it correctly, most of your data is going to be stored in the media XML metadata files. Only server configurations would be separate. And I'd assume you'll be moving your media too.

Back these files up before doing this.  Update both to the same version of MBS too before moving.

Server Settings:

Fairly certain all your server settings are saved at ..."C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser" in the "MediaBrowserXml.config" file and the "MBServiceXml.config" ... should be able to copy those over to move the settings.

Image Cache: 

You can move the image cache too, or you could just let it rebuild.  For the Image cache, its in the same folder ... "C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser" ... you'll need...

• "ImageCache" folder, (has all your thumbnail art)
  • "Cache" folder, (has the "cache.db" database file you need.  It will also move over playstate)
  • "ImagesByName" folder (since it will have all the Actors Images and any custom items).

The rest is stored with the media itself.

Edit:   Forgot PlugIns...

Plugins work the same way, copy over the plugins folder to move them to the new host.

Edited by Sundog
  • Like 1

What about all my backdrop and primary images? Do those move over as well?

Those are saved within the media folders (eg. it is saved to the same folder you movie is located in). So those would move over without a problem.

Edited by gcw07

Configuring the server doesn't really take that much time (usually) and I really think you would probably save some potential headaches by just starting over.

dannieboiz

Those are saved within the media folders (eg. it is saved to the same folder you movie is located in). So those would move over without a problem.

sorry should have been clearer, I was referring to photos from the web dashboards. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is rebuilding the server still believed to be the best process rather than copying files from the old server?   I am currently going to upgrade my current server/htpc and was wondering as well

thanks