A lot of questions in regards to :FlexRAID

Airbender

Airbender

Hello Guys,

I am asking here so all new uerser and advnace users who dont know FlexRAID can be aware of it , i am talking about Raid F here only the Combo
(Data Protection + Storage Pooling) for $59.95 + TAX deal

I know in the past alot of users in MB3 spoke about FlexRAID and provided screenshot and so on and "assassin" wrote a manaual on setup and install http://assassinhtpcblog.com/server-flexraid/ it is 100 page manaual

but i have so many question about this , after i look at "assassin" manual and some other screenshots and so on i relaized that Storage Pooling was not as i thought it would be , i thought it will make a large files of data of all 30TB 12 drives space but i could be wrong

also Data Protection with Parity drive is little confusing if in the future i buy second drive and extend the Parity size , i am not talking about 2 Parity drive backup of a backup just incase one drive died and that was the Parity drive i am talking about 2 Parity drive being one large 8TB size to cover 27TB worth of data

so i still need some help in this so i can get back to world of media browser 3 it been alsmot 3 Months and i over come all issue now trying to move on to next level

as usual i am very new to all this so i am still little confused about Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) also because alot of people saying diffrent thing and i dont know which one will be better for me

Can someone advise

Thanks guys

shaefurr

To your first question, yes the storage pool combines multiple drives into one large one, for example in my case I have 5 data drives and 1 parity drive, FlexRAID combines all 5 data drives into the storage pool Z:\

To the second question, yes you can have 2 hard drives  for the same parity drive, Flexraid allows you to "span" multiple drives into a single Data or parity unit. For example I use one 3TB drive for parity, I could add another 3TB to make it a 6TB parity drive, OR I can add it and have 2 separate 3TB parity drives.

In the first pic you can see my 5 data drives and parity drive, labeled WD# and PPU1, as well as the combined storage pool Z:

ut5g.jpg

2nd pic is with flexRAID hiding the drives while the storage pool is running

3du7.jpg

Hope this answers some of your questions

Airbender

To your first question, yes the storage pool combines multiple drives into one large one, for example in my case I have 5 data drives and 1 parity drive, FlexRAID combines all 5 data drives into the storage pool Z:\

To the second question, yes you can have 2 hard drives  for the same parity drive, Flexraid allows you to "span" multiple drives into a single Data or parity unit. For example I use one 3TB drive for parity, I could add another 3TB to make it a 6TB parity drive, OR I can add it and have 2 separate 3TB parity drives.

In the first pic you can see my 5 data drives and parity drive, labeled WD# and PPU1, as well as the combined storage pool Z:

ut5g.jpg

2nd pic is with flexRAID hiding the drives while the storage pool is running

3du7.jpg

Hope this answers some of your questions

Hi not able to see your pics but do i need to clear the recycle bin just as "assassin" manual says ?

also i am going to be using it on windows 7 64bit

Thanks

shaefurr

Yeah you'll need to disable the recycle bin on the drives you want to use, I have it on both 7 x64 and 8.1 x64

To further explain that, the pool has its own recycle bin so the windows one should get disabled.

Edited by shaefurr

Airbender

Yeah you'll need to disable the recycle bin on the drives you want to use, I have it on both 7 x64 and 8.1 x64

To further explain that, the pool has its own recycle bin so the windows one should get disabled.

ok got it so i am going setup now and if i have more question i will ask thanks

• Like 1

Airbender

Hi

Run into issue localhost:8080 is been taken by SabNZBD so i change the port and then shutdown Sabnzbd but FlexRAID wont connect ?

i used sabnzbd , sickbeard, and other apps

This is very intersting 

Airbender

yeah it seems that Sabnzbd uses Port 8080 and FlexRAID uses same port so by changing sab port sabnzbd workd but FlexRAID did not restarting the pc i hope everything goes well as i am working remotely from work :)

Airbender

Hello

Restart worked just fine all 11 drives show up and FlexRAID connected so now moving on with my task lol

Airbender

Hello

I am trying to figure out if i need to put all my drives as DRU or DRU Span ? i want all drive to be one pool

shaefurr

I would leave them separate, as the storage pool combines all the DRUs into the pool anyway.

Airbender

I would leave them separate, as the storage pool combines all the DRUs into the pool anyway.

ok i will do that then sorry i am asking questions as i go with this Thanks alot for your help

Airbender

hello

“Initialize Raid” now so it might takes few hours to complete and mybe more

i will ask question if i have one Thanks in advance

wraslor

It depends on cpu, how fast your drives are etc, but I can tell you it took 3 days for my system to create parity for 22TB of data.  I'm running an older dual cpu setup for two 6 core 1.6 ghz opterons and slow 5400 rpm drives.

Edited by wraslor

Airbender

It depends on cpu, how fast your drives are etc, but I can tell you it took 3 days for my system to create parity for 22TB of data.  I'm running an older dual cpu setup for two 6 core 1.6 ghz opterons and slow 5400 rpm drives.

Hello i think it will take at lest a week in my case and i bought a new 4TB drive so once this Raid complete i will have to add the new one and that will take one more day so i will have to wait one more week before i can use MB3 again

Airbender

Hello Run into new problem with FlexRAID it showed 1% completed but when i check now it show 100% completed so i notice also it had an error message also

so i double checked and it show 100% completed so i tried to go to setup driver pool or storge pool thing and it was not available so then i try to get logs but the directory of logs give me access denied error

so now i am restarting the pc as killing the process and re starting it did not work

Hello i think it will take at lest a week in my case and i bought a new 4TB drive so once this Raid complete i will have to add the new one and that will take one more day so i will have to wait one more week before i can use MB3 again

The new drive will have no data so it will not take any time to calculate parity for it.

Airbender

The new drive will have no data so it will not take any time to calculate parity for it.

Hi ebr

Good to know but i am still stuck now with this raid thing i wish if i new a different software just like FlexRAID as i can tell they dont have real support for paid clients and their forums is dead

Also notice in Device manager i have option to resume the Initializations so make me think the original Initializations might not went throw and it could be possible that why i am not able to click on storage pooling

Airbender

Hi

did not do anything resume the Initializations so not sure where the issue is at this moment but the whole thing is one big nightmare

all i want is to start using media browser3 again it been non stop issue hardware and software so far

steve1977

I love the concept of flexraid, but have dropped using it. It is a quite impactful software, but lacks stability and user support. I don't mind to use an alpha version of a mediaplayer, but would need something like flexraid to be 100% ready and mature before putting my data at risk. I am still keeping an eye on it, but don't think it will be ready in the years to come.

Unraid is a great alternative, which is stable and has a huge user community. I am not using it as I am still stuck with Win7 and want to keep it, but if you are more open, give it a try. Great user community and support over thee at unraid!

Airbender

I love the concept of flexraid, but have dropped using it. It is a quite impactful software, but lacks stability and user support. I don't mind to use an alpha version of a mediaplayer, but would need something like flexraid to be 100% ready and mature before putting my data at risk. I am still keeping an eye on it, but don't think it will be ready in the years to come.

Unraid is a great alternative, which is stable and has a huge user community. I am not using it as I am still stuck with Win7 and want to keep it, but if you are more open, give it a try. Great user community and support over thee at unraid!

Hello i was looking at it at this moment unraid seems to be more expansive and more complex to use or mybe i am new to it but i totaly agree with you on flexraid or their new tRaid it seems it is easy to use but not very stable at all and no support what so ever

Airbender

Hi or if i can get 2 sprate software one for drive pooling and one for Raid F type with parity drive that could work too