Convert DVDs to ??

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

I am wanting to convert my DVD collection to digital format that can be used with MB. How do you other people accomplish this?

What tools and what format do you output it as?

Airbender

Hello

DVD is easy get DVD Decrypter is it free tool and then burn them to a Hard drive

So example:

Folder Name is DVD Movies under it will be movie title , then under it VIDEO_TS

select VIDEO_TS in dvd decrypter and it will start buring and you are done 

it is better to add dvd writer to the server so all videos goes in one place so you dont have to move them out

and then MB3 will fetch metadat for your dvd or get Media Center master it is free tool too so you have options

good luck !

You can also use free tools such as Handbrake or Xmedia recode. Those tools will actually compress the movie to a MP4 or MKV. If you plan to use you movies with XBOX or apple products. rikp them to MP4. And set audio to 5.5 or 7.1 AAC.

If you plan toy only watch them on a PC and your amplifier can handle the uncompressed audio. Sect your Audio to Pass-trough..

• Like 1

AxelAxel3

Thanks. I will probably use the method that ronvp give because I want the option that is the most flexibile on all systems.

Sent from my HTC6435LRA using Tapatalk

Redshirt

If you've got mobile devices in your ecosystem. I'd recommend converting to mp4 using H264 / AAC.for the video and audio formats. That combination is most likely to play across everything.

• Like 1

I want to point out that Handbrake can't simply deal with the copy-protected DVDs. If you want to rip DVD with protection, you have to do some other works. Here is the tutorial for your reference:http://www.macworld.com/article/1157590/how_to_rip_dvd_handbrake.html or you can buy another professional ripper that can deal with the encryption on the discs. Here is a  tutorial for windows that allow you to save DVD on Samsung Galaxy phones.

Edited by lizlee

If all you want to do is move away from DVD format and not worried about size try MakeMKV (more or less keeps original file size).

It will make a 1:1 copy and will also do Bluray. It puts the video in a mkv container so might not be

so good for mobile devices due to file size. But, for MB3 should work fine. It is also very fast at making copy.

For compressing, Handbrake is very good.

Edited by JDizzy

Redshirt

If all you want to do is move away from DVD format and not worried about size try MakeMKV (more or less keeps original file size).

It will make a 1:1 copy and will also do Bluray. It puts the video in a mkv container so might not be

so good for mobile devices due to file size. But, for MB3 should work fine. It is also very fast at making copy.

For compressing, Handbrake is very good.

Makemkv is nice and easy to use but we've noticed in tests where some of the mediainfo is incorrect after conversion

Makemkv is nice and easy to use but we've noticed in tests where some of the mediainfo is incorrect after conversion

That might explain a few things.

:P

• 10 months later...
AdrianW

If you're going to rip and encode - please try to keep all the pixels and use anamorphic flagging (Display Aspect Ratio).

Most DVD rips I've seen have resized the ripped image to cater for the aspect ratio - this significantly reduces the resolution of the video.

e.g. The full frame size of an NTSC DVD is 720x480 pixels. An anamorphic (16:9 enhanced) 2.35:1 movie on an NTSC disc will be using 720x408 pixels per frame. But, if this is resized to 2.35:1 during encoding you'll end up with 720x306 - so basically throwing away 102 lines of valuable image quality. But, you can keep the original full 720x408 and flag the display aspect ratio as 2.35:1 and then the playback device will stretch the image back to its proper aspect ratio.

DVDs are so low in resolution to begin with, it's best to keep as much of that resolution as possible.

I use AnyDVD to remove copy protection, and MeGUI to encode.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Those "102 lines of valuable valuable image" is the black at the top and bottom. There is no loss of actual data. 

AdrianW

Those "102 lines of valuable valuable image" is the black at the top and bottom. There is no loss of actual data. 

Nope - I'd already excluded the black lines when cropping the full frame height of 480 down to 408. It's the resizing of 408 down to 306 where the quality loss occurs.

Edited by AdrianW

WarrenH

Possible what most have forgotten to mention is that the format you user is like choosing a car, it depends on your budget and needs.

The format you rip to depends on 2 things: the size of the output file you want which depends on the amount of storage you have, and how you intend to use the output file.

If you want to be able to watch on iOS devices without having to recode you're best to use mp4. Additionally it's a simple format with reasonable quality, easily transportable requiring no additional codecs having to be installed on your devices, pc's, etc.

In terms of file size, unless you've a 100" TV and you're encoding your favorite movie, there's probably not much point to having the hugest file, if it's just standard TV shows and the like that you may watch once or twice, what's the point of having the best quality possible.

Edited by WarrenH

techywarrior

Nope - I'd already excluded the black lines when cropping the full frame height of 480 down to 408. It's the resizing of 408 down to 306 where the quality loss occurs.

I'm not sure where you are getting the 408 from. If the movie actually is 2.35:1 then the number of pixels of actual film is 306. 720/2.35=306. The other rest is black.

408 would be for 16:9 aspect ratio. It's possible that the movie you are referring to had hard coded black into the frame to create a full size for 16:9 TVs but there is still no value to that's pixels.

The only thing you are gaining by keeping whose black pixels is a larger file. Not more usable data. Although the increased size may be minimal if you use a frame differentiation based compression since it never changes.

AdrianW

I'm not sure where you are getting the 408 from. If the movie actually is 2.35:1 then the number of pixels of actual film is 306. 720/2.35=306. The other rest is black.

408 would be for 16:9 aspect ratio. It's possible that the movie you are referring to had hard coded black into the frame to create a full size for 16:9 TVs but there is still no value to that's pixels.

The only thing you are gaining by keeping whose black pixels is a larger file. Not more usable data. Although the increased size may be minimal if you use a frame differentiation based compression since it never changes.

You're forgetting that vast majority of widescreen DVDs are "16:9 enhanced" (anamorphic) - the pixels when displayed are rectangular not square.

A current widescreen TV series (16:9) on an NTSC DVD takes up all 720 x 480 pixels (with no black bars at all). Your TV (or software player) will stretch the width of the image to fill the full 16:9 frame. On NTSC the width will be stretched to an effective 853 pixels wide (853/480 = 1.7777).

A 2.35:1 movie on a 16:9 enhanced NTSC DVD does have black bars - but the image when played back still has it's width stretched to 853, so the actual image height would need to be 853 / 2.35 = 363. My calculations were definitely out earlier (I was confusing PAL and NTSC resolutions). But that's still almost 60 lines extra detail that you shouldn't be throwing away by resizing to square pixels.

techywarrior

Wow, I had to actually look that up. I didn't know that whole thing about pixel ratio on DVDs.

Well, good thing for me I rip my DVDs at 853 x (whatever) so my software is obviously taking that into account already. :)

I use AnyDVD HD (paid) to remove copyprotection and rip my DVD or Bluray to hard drive.  I then use Handbrake (free) to reduce the size of the file and convert to mp4 or mkv.  Works well.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I use the same method as bodhi. Only I rip to ISO for Blu-rays. I mount the ISO using virtual clone drive to then mount the ISO.

Edited by mediacowboy

WhiteGuyTranslating

I am a little late to the party here but I have a friend *cough* who swears by MakeMKV for Blu-Ray rips (free while in Beta and it's been in Beta for almost 5 years now). As for DVD's, this friend *cough* actually had a software company (Magic DVD Ripper [paid]) create a ripping profile for him/her *cough* seven years ago. This takes the main movie and places it in a MPEG2 container. Quality is 480p, processor load is extremely light, and while the file size is rather large (average 3.3GB for a feature) streaming to mobile devices (android and WP8) is easy and smooth. The process is super simple and you have a movie ready to watch in less than 9 minutes (on a normal to slightly beefy server). At least, this is what my friend tells me *cough*.

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend to spend the money on AnyDVD HD. This program removes all copy protection for DVD's and Blurays system wide. As soon as you enter the BR or DVD, it removes the region and copy protection. This way you can use any ripping software including freeware such as Handbrake or XMedia-Recode.

There is another benefit with AnyDVD, it removes Cinavia protection if you use PowerDVD or TMT for playing back BluRay's/ISO's

• Like 1