Ignoring 'The' in the sort name...

Koleckai Silvestri
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Koleckai Silvestri

Media Browser Server 3.0.5083.27698

Windows 7 Professional SP1

Media Browser Theater beta... not sure of version, downloaded yesterday.

I believe I read somewhere that articles like The, A, and An would be ignore in the sort order by default. Is this actually the case as all my movies with The in the titles are in the letter T range instead of where they belong. The 13th Warrior, The Ant Bully, The Book of Eli, The Condor, and The Santa Clause  are examples. 

I've looked for a setting to turn this one but cannot find it. Is there a setting? If so what is the control path? 

mfranzel

So for SortTitle, what would I put in? "Condor, The"? But in the system would it show like that or would it be listed in the Cs and say The Condor? I'm a bit lost here. And I guess Media Center Master added it.

I dont use MB3 meta data plugin because it gets a lot of my movies wrong and I had to go through and change them back.

In Title, enter 'The Condor' if it isn't already that way. In SortTitle, just enter condor. 'The' isn't required. Whatever's in the Title field is what will show everywhere, but it will sort by SortTitle behind the scenes.

Only a small percentage of your movies have A, An, or The at the beginning of the title. Actually, I think if you just delete whatever's in the SortTitle field, MB3 will use it's built-in logic and ignore those articles at the beginning of titles. It's only when they get included in the SortTitle field that problems arise, because then they override that same logic.

• Like 2

well who put the SortTitle in your xml? The idea is,if present, that SortTitle will override our internal sort title generation.

Only a small percentage of your movies have A, An, or The at the beginning of the title. Actually, I think if you just delete whatever's in the SortTitle field, MB3 will use it's built-in logic and ignore those articles at the beginning of titles. It's only when they get included in the SortTitle field that problems arise, because then they override that same logic.

That is correct. 

• Solution

I am having this same issue. Do I need to change this in the XML data for VERY movie with this issue? I never had this issue with MB2.

Or have whatever metadata provider you are using fill in the sort title appropriately.  Or, delete them and let MB do it for you.

If an explicit sort title is provided, we honor it - as it is provided.  Otherwise the field is kind of pointless.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Hmmm... Thanks. 

I'll have to keep an eye on this then. I had them all set correctly in Media Center Master which created both the *.xml (Media Browser) and the *.nfo (XBMC) files. Sort orders were correct in the .nfo files but were changed when I imported into Media Browser 3. Was just wondering if there was something I could change to prevent that. Images (posters, backdrop, etc...) were changed as well.

• Like 1

Yes, the best thing to do is just delete the sort title and let MB create it.  Unless you have something like "The Dark Knight" that you want to sort as "Batman 4" or something.

Chest Rockwell
Yes, the best thing to do is just delete the sort title and let MB create it.  Unless you have something like "The Dark Knight" that you want to sort as "Batman 4" or something.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.  I used Media Center Master to edit the movies.xml files in the movie folders and deleted the sort title fields.  I then went to Metadata Manager and did a global refresh.  Also restarted MBS.  But the movies are still displaying with the "A" or "The" first.

Chest Rockwell

When I pull up a movie in Metadata Manager, I see that the Sort Title field is still populated and has the articles.  Why isn't MBS using the XML files I have in the movie folders?  I figured that it would either use what was in the XML files or when I clicked "Full Metadata Refresh" it would load the data from the XML files into a separate database.   I have deselected Download Metadata from the Internet and selected Save Metadata within Media Folders.

When I pull up a movie in Metadata Manager, I see that the Sort Title field is still populated and has the articles.  Why isn't MBS using the XML files I have in the movie folders?  I figured that it would either use what was in the XML files or when I clicked "Full Metadata Refresh" it would load the data from the XML files into a separate database.   I have deselected Download Metadata from the Internet and selected Save Metadata within Media Folders.

Yes, we do use your xml, and I just tested this and it worked perfectly for me. I opened up a movie, clicked edit so that I could view all the fields. Then I opened the corresponding movie.xml, changed SortTitle, saved it. Gave it about ten seconds, refreshed the page and saw my changes reflected.

Koleckai Silvestri

I've not had this recur after the initial issue. I've edited my metadata appropriately and imported some new movies (specifically The Santa Clause, The Santa Clause 2, and The Santa Clause 3) with proper results. 

I am guessing it was a problem with old xml files written by Media Center Master. They are supposed to be in Media Browser format but maybe accounting for version 2 that ignored the words anyway. I was using Media Center Master because I was getting poor results with XBMC's scraping. Media Browser Server does a very good job at scraping data and the web interface makes it fairly easy to tweak. I'll probably just let the server do the scraping in the future.

BigGoose62

OK, I have an issue that is sort of related to this. MB3's autopopulation of the sort title is simply the movie title, minus A, An, The. My problem is that all occurences of A, An, or The are removed, instead of just the leading one.

Example...The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has a default sort title of "good bad and ugly."

Is this intended?

Not sure if it is fully intended to remove all "the", but I don't see how it would hurt anything. It would still show up under the "G" like it should with that sort title. 

BigGoose62

Not sure if it is fully intended to remove all "the", but I don't see how it would hurt anything. It would still show up under the "G" like it should with that sort title. 

Well, it can place a movie out of alphabetical order. For instance, alphabetical order would be:

A Good Day to Die Hard

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

but with sort titles set to "good day to die hard" and "good bad and ugly" the movies would be reversed

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

A Good Day to Die Hard

Trust me, it's not a big deal. I'm not trying to get it changed. I just go in and edit my sort titles so they are the way I prefer. I was just curious if that was intended or not. Thank you for the response though

This is probably somewhat open for interpretation but I would think removing all noise words would be a valid sorting algorithm.  IOW the way it is working now may be technically correct.

BigGoose62

OK thanks for your replies. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Like I said, just curious. Everybody's got their own preferred way to sort their stuff

This is probably somewhat open for interpretation but I would think removing all noise words would be a valid sorting algorithm.  IOW the way it is working now may be technically correct.

Maybe it depends on who you're talking to. Living with a professional librarian for 30 years, trust me, it is not valid to drop any other title words except at the beginning! :D