Music Video Organization

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

It says that Music Videos should be organized similarly to Movies in the file system. At least according to this thread: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

The would mean something like:

\\media\music_videos\
\\media\music_videos\Eagles - Hotel California
\\media\music_videos\Eagles - Hotel California\video.mp4
\\media\music_videos\Imagine Dragon - Radioactive
\\media\music_videos\Imagine Dragon - Radioactive\video.mp4

Is that correct? This can lead to a lot of directories and be difficult to manage over a long period of time. 

If so wouldn't a better organization be:

\\media\music_videos\artist\album\songname.mp4

More in line with the music directory structure?

Or even something like:

\\media\music\artist\album\videos\songname.mp4

Edited by Wayne Luke

Koleckai Silvestri

Look forward to it. My wife and stepson really like watching music videos and I would like to offer this in a way that isn't overwhelming on me.

I'm having issues with this too setting up for my wife and kids. Eg I have a folder Katy Perry inside is a folder called Roar & inside that the file with the video named Katy Perry-Roar but it gets a movie called Roar not music vid info the same for a few others too.

• 2 weeks later...
steve1977

Thanks for implementing musicvideos. Would like to find a way to make it compatible with itunes (all my videos are bought and put in folders via itunes). While musicvideos will be the least used category in MBS, I would assume that the few users with musicvideos also have an itunes-liked structured folder structure.

Most important itunes treats music and musicvideos alike, which makes a lot of sense as both relate to an artist. So, this is something I would also like to suggest for MBS. Not sure how exactly this would translate into "real life". But let me share first how it looks like as folder structure:

\Music

\Artist Name
          \Album Name 1
          1- Song.mp3
          2- Song.mp3

\Album Name 2
          1- Song.mp3
          2- Song.mp3

\Musicvideo Album
          1- musicvideo.mp4

2- musicvideo.mp4

Also, MP4 musicvideos actually have tags, so it would be nice to have them read tags first before reading any other metadata provider.

What do you think?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...