Sample files getting treated as new content

af22

I've noticed my *sample.mkv files are being treated as new content, MB3 will download full metadata just for the sample.  I think it would be much better if it can be treated more like a trailer?

Not quite sure what i'm proposing, just that having sample files in my library is getting real messy, i went in and deleted all of them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but I think this feature is quite nice to have. I have the same problem myself - many movies in my lib contains sample clips, and those videos are 1 minute short but still imported into the lib which makes a lot of dulplicates.......

BATTLE DONKEY

I'm guessing by sample clips u mean, a sample from a torrent for quality purposes. If so, why not just do a search for these samples and delete them all in one shot. There is no reason to be holding onto these sample clips, if indeed those are the samples u are referring to. All they are doing is taking up hard drive space, no need for the server to figure out what is what if they aren't needed anyways

• Like 1

BATTLE DONKEY

If I'm correct about the samples he is referring to they are usually just inside a folder called sample or sometimes "movie title-sample" or "movie initials-sample". I'd let him respond because I'm not sure if those are the samples he's referring to because to me, like I said it seems like a waste of both HDD space and resources because most people would just delete those sample clips of a movie

techywarrior

Another thing is, should MB3 make concessions to illegal content? There is no denying that some people use MB3 to organize or play content they get illegally but I don't think that should be the focus. Development and organizational decisions should be based on purely legal use and then if people use it for other things... well there is nothing that can be done about that.

• Like 1

FYI, if you just want to delete samples from every directory would be as easy as:

CD root-folder

DEL /s sample.*

To delete sample folder from every directory is also easy:

CD root-folder

DEL /s sample.

(The dot after sample is important as it means directory.)

To delete artwork and metadata for these sample you no longer want:

CD root-folder

DEL /s sample-*.*

This assumes you saved metadata to your media drive, everybody does right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

BATTLE DONKEY

The ignore serves a purpose yes, and I'm not one to comment much on legal vs illegal because I fell for the DVD "ultimate home theatre experience" hard, and although I have repurchased many movies for the bluray "ultimate home theatre experience" knowing that the next format is probably around the corner I have also downloaded my share of movies that I might not be to sure of before going out and buying them nowadays because I don't have as much disposable cash like I use to, but I still do have more DVDs and blurays than I know what to do with. But I do agree with u about it mostly being a feature for lazy people who can't even bother to go thru the files they downloaded and delete the filler crap that isn't even needed. Maybe I'm just getting old and have a little patience for doing a little of the legwork myself instead lol

• Like 1

I edited my post as it was rather harsh, removed a good 99% of it. I as well participate in the occasional jolly roger or seven to get some movies and other things. This type of behavior is common. I dont promote it or expect rational discussion when it comes up. It's irrational to expect things for for free. The internet is irrational. It promotes this thinking.

See my edited post above and you can fix this manually in seconds. How could the server do this any better? It would condone piracy to do it better. This isnt required. Its exactly like trackers and the problem caused to them when users are adding copyrighted files via backlinks to them via .torrent files. When you go down this rabbit hole you add a grey area. One most legitimate projects are swift to avoid. So its best users just live in this Grey area themselves. We all know piracy exists. Its used on everything there is a pay model for. What we can do is ease irrational fears and keep it simple. Mediabrowser shouldn't help when the ease of doing this manually is so trivial.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Deathsquirrel

You might also consider just not having your download folder as part of your MB3 library.  Move completed files into the library and there won't be a problem to start with.

Just to report back, I delete those sample videos and now it works fine.

I have no intention to bring discussion on legal vs. illegal here, and I'm glad that everyone here use Mediabrowser for 100% legal stuff.

It is an improvement suggestion, and this feature is in XBMC, mediaportal and Plex. I totally understand if MBS dev decides not to implement it because it can be potentially used for illegal stuff.

i will have the server ignore them if someone can answer my question about an example file name

steelman1991

They tend to follow the name of the movie/TV Show, only with the addition of 'sample' in the name. eg

any.tv.show.s01e01.720p.hdtv.x264.sample.mkv

• Like 1

i will have the server ignore them if someone can answer my question about an example file name

Hi, thank you for looking into it.

If the main media file is {FileName}.mkv, the sample file is normally {FileName}.sample.mkv. I think it is safe to say files with "sample" in the name should be filtered out. It can perhaps be implemented in a genaric approach, for example XBMC uses regular expression to exclude certains files when scanning the library.

• 2 weeks later...
Spaceboy

I mentioned this elsewhere but my special features are also showing up as movies. These are stored in the specials folder but have no naming convention

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to bring up this old thread. But I still have a samples that aren't excluded.

The best thing you could do is implement a custom exclude filters that each user can have their or regexp.

Or just exclude everything with the word sample.

Sometimes samples have the same name as the movie but are in a subfolder called sample.

Hi,

Sorry to bring up this old thread. But I still have a samples that aren't excluded.

The best thing you could do is implement a custom exclude filters that each user can have their or regexp.

Or just exclude everything with the word sample.

Sometimes samples have the same name as the movie but are in a subfolder called sample.

Hmm, I remember this has been solved in earlier version, but I tried with the latest beta version and it seems to be a regression.

It would be a more flexible solution if it allows user to configure which files should be ignored during import. I notice not only the sample clips, but also other files such as XXX.rar is now also imported, and I don't know how to remove them from the library......

Beardyname

remove/unpack and then remove the .rar files themselves? (if they are from what i think they are from they don't even save space, it's just faster to download/upload in segments than whole files)

remove/unpack and then remove the .rar files themselves? (if they are from what i think they are from they don't even save space, it's just faster to download/upload in segments than whole files)

Thanks, that works. 

Don't know why it comes back, the previous versions worked fine. 

can you give specific examples of what's not working? example file names?

Hi Luke,

Files with name contains "sample", for example 

{movie name}.sample.mkv

{movie name}-sample.mkv

Also anything which is not media files such as "subs.rar" etc should be ignored. 

It would be nice to include a filter in the library setup to manually specify the files that should be ignored in regular expression.

This must be a regression introduced recently as I remember the previous versions worked.

It would be nice to add an option to specify an exclude filter for added media folders to allow users to customize ignore list.

Edited by somy

can you give specific examples of what's not working? example file names?

Hi Luke, do you know if it is going to be fixed in the next beta version?