drobo vs synology

Airbender

Airbender

Hi

I am thinking to get drobo 5n for $550.00 USD vs synology older model 4 bay system for same price

See I am not going to use raid I am going to use raid f or tRaid so I just need something that works with less issue and less technical support. With my full refund and so on I am going to buy from Newegg.com

Also I know good planning means get unit that support a lot of drives but money is issue and I need unit that can support 5 drives

Mass storage system can be around 300 but they are picky units and I am done with troubleshooting  brand new units

What do you guys think ?

Thanks

When I made the same decision 2 years ago, I decided upon Synology. I liked their interface a lot more and the network thorough-put was much better on the Synology at the time compared to the Drobo. Plus I really liked that ability to expand with the unit I got. I haven't really kept up on Drobo the past couple years so can't say if they improved things or not. But to me I like the Synology.

Airbender

When I made the same decision 2 years ago, I decided upon Synology. I liked their interface a lot more and the network thorough-put was much better on the Synology at the time compared to the Drobo. Plus I really liked that ability to expand with the unit I got. I haven't really kept up on Drobo the past couple years so can't say if they improved things or not. But to me I like the Synology.

Hi glad you responded i guess Drobo is not as good as i thought they add so feature to drives which make them useless to gain access to files stored in the drives

not looking to take a big risk like that, their is a reason why Synology. is expansive

i would actually recommend everyone to read this http://www.macdrifter.com/2013/02/moving-from-a-drobo-to-a-synology-nas.html

I guess i will keep looking

You got Synology DS1513+ Network Storage for $ 800 USD correct ?

I have the DS1511+. I got mine 2 years ago so it was the 2011 model while the 1513 is the 2013 model. Same basic device, just a better cpu in the 2013. And yeah it was around $800 at the time.

It seems newegg.com does not have Synology DS1511+ bummer

Well it would be a 2 year old model so yeah, I'd be shocked to find it. The 1512 and 1513 are basically the same exact thing. Just cpu changes really.

Wow hard to find Synology Products on sell or for cheep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you might find the previous year model on sale shortly after a new model is released, but even then it is rare. Pretty set prices. The 5 bay one is almost always going to run you $800.

Airbender

Not sure what Raid F is.

FlexRAID Raid over file system with parity drive + i will add crush plan online backup

Edited by Airbender

OK, can you explain the advantage of doing that over just using the built in RAID types? Seems like it is just adding an additional point of failure.

Airbender

OK, can you explain the advantage of doing that over just using the built in RAID types? Seems like it is just adding an additional point of failure.

Hi the advantage is only for me this might not work for everyone, my pc chase or case which is antec allow up to 9 drives and it has tons of fans

now as my library grow i am stuck with system that is AMD on 64bit OS and only able to add 9 drives to it. when i had so much issues with my system and so many hard ware failers i ask guys here in MB and some other forum and based on my situation the best option was to keep my pc as it is and get a second unit a NAS or Mass storage as JOBD. and add them to software raid with Parity drive and to do actual Cloud backup for my entire system. i am running Raid F at this moment and no issue so far and very happy with it. the advantage for me is i dont lose space in cross side of Raid 5 where it is actual hardware raid i only lose 1 Hard drive of 4TB and if one of my drive fail then parity will rebuild it back so replacment is not a problem. as far Online Cloud backup with Crush plan , it just make me feel warm and fuzzy as i dont have to worry about real back up solutions. i am paying 5.99 a month for unlimated backup. you can read it here http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/r/15372/65911/cloud-storage-of-your-choice#65911  

again it is something that works for me but not everyone else

Thanks

You might consider just using two different setups. The original setup with your original drives and then the NAS using as stand alone. That way if one system fails, the other should still be good. When I did my expansion for my NAS, I created a completely separate volume just so that if the first volume crashed, I wouldn't lose it all. Also you might experiment with the Synology Hybrid Raid. Even with losing 1 drive out of 5, that still should give you around 15TB of space (assuming they are all 4TB drives).

Just an idea. Use what works best for you in your situation.

• Like 1

Airbender

You might consider just using two different setups. The original setup with your original drives and then the NAS using as stand alone. That way if one system fails, the other should still be good. When I did my expansion for my NAS, I created a completely separate volume just so that if the first volume crashed, I wouldn't lose it all. Also you might experiment with the Synology Hybrid Raid. Even with losing 1 drive out of 5, that still should give you around 15TB of space (assuming they are all 4TB drives).

Just an idea. Use what works best for you in your situation.

Good advise i was thinking about it and you said it too so it really does make sense but the bad news is that i dont think i can get Synology now i will have to wait at lest few more months to save more money. Drobo is not a good option and mass storage seems to be good for some people but for me it not working as i tried it and it was just 2 months of troubleshooting. so i am thinking just to convert my extra HTPC to server but the case i have is not very hard drive friendly as no option to add big 120mm fans to + i wont have a computer to use with Media browser Theater if i do that , so i will keep thinking on new options as my half of library are setting. and to answer you no my left over drives are not empty nor they are all 4 TB just 2 are 4TB brand new and rest are all full of data and i have 5 drives in toatl setting on a table with 3D movies and movies in collections and so on

Thanks

JoshFink

I will chime in as someone who was a long time Drobo user until the Drobo crashed and I lost all of my data with it. Drobo wanted me to do data recovery and such but none of it ever worked. I've since gone to the Synology 1812+ in addition to the addon unit for that to add another 5 drive bays. 

I'm using the Synology Hybrid Raid with 2 Disk Redundancy. 

It's absolutely fantastic and I've had zero problems with it. I did have a friend who had a problem with one and support, he told me, was fantastic to work with.

Josh

Edited by JoshFink
  • Like 1

Airbender

I will chime in as someone who was a long time Drobo user until the Drobo crashed and I lost all of my data with it. Drobo wanted me to do data recovery and such but none of it ever worked. I've since gone to the Synology 1812+ in addition to the addon unit for that to add another 5 drive bays. 

I'm using the Synology Hybrid Raid with 2 Disk Redundancy. 

It's absolutely fantastic and I've had zero problems with it. I did have a friend who had a problem with one and support, he told me, was fantastic to work with.

Josh

Josh Synology support is excellent i just spoke to them and they give me this site http://store.synologyamerica.com/Default.aspx for outlet deals or referb but nothing they have now is 5 bay Thanks for chime in

Airbender

Hi they do have this Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS411slim (Black) for $284.99 or if i go with amazon i can get it bran new for 299 but again it is 4-bay unit

Edited by Airbender