Scan media library failed for folders that are offline causes no media to show on client

markm75

Just trying to see if there is some way around this..

I have most of my media on a NAS server, but in one case i have a few folders on another workstation, which i've added to the library on the server.

If that workstation is offline and you launch media browser classic on the client, no media shows up in Media Center.

I see the scan media library failed on the server.. i know why it says it (because its offline), but is there a way to keep the library entry and still show the other media files in the client?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you think is happening is actually what is happening.  Can you please reproduce this problem and then post the MBC log?

I take it back, the scan media failed went away..

What i'm experiencing now is say i do a fresh boot on the server.. the service starts up (i have it set to run as the same user thats logged in).. UAC is on (side note).. the dashboard shows it is scanning media, which often will take forever.. maybe 1 hour.. if i try to use media browser classic, nothing shows up.

If i cancel the scan.. it says scanning media - stopping (but never goes away).. or if i wait till the scan is done the same thing.. if i then try MBC, same deal, nothing shows up.. i then try to stop/restart the service, the whole cycle repeats.

Server logs just show it trying to scan the media thats offline, nothing major.  I can attach them if useful.. but maybe this is service/uac related?

I take it back, the scan media failed went away..

What i'm experiencing now is say i do a fresh boot on the server.. the service starts up (i have it set to run as the same user thats logged in).. UAC is on (side note).. the dashboard shows it is scanning media, which often will take forever.. maybe 1 hour.. if i try to use media browser classic, nothing shows up.

If i cancel the scan.. it says scanning media - stopping (but never goes away).. or if i wait till the scan is done the same thing.. if i then try MBC, same deal, nothing shows up.. i then try to stop/restart the service, the whole cycle repeats.

Server logs just show it trying to scan the media thats offline, nothing major.  I can attach them if useful.. but maybe this is service/uac related?

Tried disabling UAC, no change.. also noticed in metadata manager, there is nothing below the main element of the tree.. it was all there earlier this evening now gone.

The logs grow rapidly in size as its scanning, 30mb to 170mb etc..

One example just a photo folder, but since the source is offline this i guess is normal (there are many items offline from this source, i think part of why it takes so long, but either way its failing in the end somewhere).. waiting on the log file to finish when it gets to "Stopping"

2013-12-18 23:50:48.5476, Error, BaseItem, Error getting file system entries for \\MARKM75\D\data\New Screen Shots
Unable to retrieve file system info for \\MARKM75\D\data\New Screen Shots
System.IO.IOException
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.CreateResolveArgs(FileSystemInfo pathInfo)
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.get_ResolveArgs()
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.GetNonCachedChildren()
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<ValidateChildrenInternal>d__1c.MoveNext()
Edited by markm75

I still need the information requested so this is just going to sit until that happens

See above, there is a partial server log.. these log files are hundreds of megs in size.. i can post portions of them however..

EDIT: i take that back, the latest log file is 1.1 GB in size and Growing

There is this error early on in a smaller log file.. i've since decided to remove the offline paths from my library to see if it stops the growth and issue:

2013-12-19 11:07:24.3365, Error, ServiceController, System.ArgumentException: Type ServiceStack.Api.Swagger.SwaggerResourcesService is not a Web Service that inherits IService
   at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceController.RegisterService(Type serviceType)
2013-12-19 11:07:24.3521, Error, ServiceController, System.ArgumentException: Type ServiceStack.Api.Swagger.SwaggerApiService is not a Web Service that inherits IService
   at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceController.RegisterService(Type serviceType)

there are a bunch of unauthorizedaccessexceptions as well, which in manual browsing in windows explorer seem fine:

Access to the path '\\MARKM75N\z\movies\temp\Superman.1\movie.xml' is denied.
System.UnauthorizedAccessException
  at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
  at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Savers.XmlSaverHelpers.Save(StringBuilder xml, String path, List`1 xmlTagsUsed)
  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Savers.MovieXmlSaver.Save(BaseItem item, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<SaveMetadata>d__9b.MoveNext()

I see this as well, which baffles me, because its a path on my laptop which i dont think i have referenced anywhere

2013-12-19 11:09:01.5715, Warn, BaseItem, Unable to find linked item at W:\Data\markm\upload\movietvtemp\movies

Despite these smaller errors.. after having removed the offline folders for the workstation that isnt active.. suddenly i can see the entire structure in metadata manager.. i can also see everything in MBC.. so clearly in my case, folders that were offline were causing the log files to swell to huge sizes and cause the library to disappear.. i'm guessing based on earlier comments this shouldnt be the case.
Edited by markm75

And here were some more entries on the offline folders missing.. from the huge log files before i removed the offline folders manually, these of course repeat for every item missing:

2013-12-18 23:33:09.1914, Error, ImageFromMediaLocationProvider, Error accessing file attributes for \\MARKM75\D\dvdtemp\Home Videos Archive
The network name cannot be found.

System.IO.IOException
  at System.IO.FileSystemInfo.get_Attributes()
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.BaseMetadataProvider.AddFiles(StringBuilder sb, IEnumerable`1 files, Dictionary`2 extensions, Int32 numExtensions)

2013-12-18 23:33:09.1914, Error, ImageFromMediaLocationProvider, Error accessing file attributes for \\MARKM75\D\My Music\mp3

System.IO.IOException
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.BaseMetadataProvider.AddFiles(StringBuilder sb, IEnumerable`1 files, Dictionary`2 extensions, Int32 numExtensions)

2013-12-18 23:33:09.2070, Error, ImageFromMediaLocationProvider, Error accessing file attributes for \\MARKM75\D\data\New Screen Shots

System.IO.IOException

2013-12-18 23:33:09.2070, Error, ImageFromMediaLocationProvider, Error accessing file attributes for \\MARKM75\D\data\photos

System.IO.IOException

2013-12-18 23:33:09.2070, Error, ImageFromMediaLocationProvider, Error accessing file attributes for \\MARKM75\D\dvdtemp\Video Camera Captures

System.IO.IOException

2013-12-18 23:33:09.3006, Error, App, Error resolving path \\MARKM75\D\dvdtemp\Home Videos Archive

2013-12-18 23:33:58.7839, Error, BaseItem, Error getting ResolveArgs for C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\root
Unable to retrieve file system info for \\MARKM75\D\dvdtemp\Home Videos Archive\2004\Early May to July (dannys party OC at end of may)\VIDEO_TS
System.IO.IOException
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.CreateResolveArgs(FileSystemInfo pathInfo)
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<>c__DisplayClass7c.<FindByPath>b__7a(BaseItem i)

2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing AlchemyServer
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Debug, HttpServer, Ignoring ListenerCallback() as HttpListener is no longer listening
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Error, ListenerResponse, Could not WriteTextToResponse: The network connection was aborted by the local system
The network connection was aborted by the local system
System.Net.HttpListenerException
  at System.Net.HttpResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
  at ServiceStack.Host.HttpListener.ListenerResponse.Write(String text)

2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Debug, App, Disposing alchemy server
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Error, HttpResponseExtensionsInternal, Could not WriteTextToResponse: The network connection was aborted by the local system
The network connection was aborted by the local system
System.Net.HttpListenerException
  at System.Net.HttpResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
  at ServiceStack.Host.HttpListener.ListenerResponse.Write(String text)
  at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteTextToResponse(IResponse response, String text, String defaultContentType)

2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing ImageProcessor
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing MediaEncoder
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing MovieDbProvider
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing TvdbSeriesProvider
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing PismoIsoManager
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing ServerEntryPoint
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing LibraryChangedNotifier
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing LocalTrailerEntryPoint
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing LoadRegistrations
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing Notifications
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing ApiEntryPoint
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing RemoteNotifications
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing WebSocketNotifier
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing RefreshUsersMetadata
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6502, Info, App, Disposing UdpServerEntryPoint
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, App, Disposing ServerEventNotifier
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, App, Disposing UserDataChangeNotifier
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, App, Disposing ResourceEntryPoint
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, App, Disposing StartupWizard
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, App, Disposing WanAddressEntryPoint
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, App, Disposing ServerEntryPoint
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, Main, Shutting down
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Info, App, Disposing ApplicationHost
2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Error, BaseItem, Error creating resolve args for \\MARKM75\D\My Music\mp3\Nickleback - Gotta Be Somebody.mp3
Unable to retrieve file system info for \\MARKM75\D\My Music\mp3\Nickleback - Gotta Be Somebody.mp3
System.IO.IOException

2013-12-18 23:46:53.6658, Error, BaseItem, Error getting ResolveArgs for C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\root
Unable to retrieve file system info for \\MARKM75\D\My Music\mp3\Nickleback - Gotta Be Somebody.mp3
System.IO.IOException
  at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<>c__DisplayClass7c.<FindByPath>b__7a(BaseItem i)

• 3 weeks later...
Latchmor

Hi guys, I'm suffering this too for Library Scans. If my NAS is offline the scan hangs at various percentages (depending on what I've moved from my HTPC to NAS). I have to manually stop it or it will try for hours and when I go to the web client it just shows Media Folders like the image below. Sorry I can't post a log as I'm accessing remotely and the log on the dashboard will not populate. I'll post it later though, just wanted to make you aware first.

Oh, and it's the offline stuff causing it because if I switch the NAS on and re-scan it zips through it in seconds.

MBS: Dev 3.0.5118.3360

Thanks

52caab898002b_Capture.png

Latchmor

Ok, got some logs. I couldn't post the whole log created whilst the NAS was offline as it is 562mb and over 8 million lines!

I have cut it up to show the start of the day with errors, missed out loads of duplicates and then started again after my NAS was switched on.  You'll see I left a gap between rows 908 and 924 where I chopped it up.

I've also added a new log after I restarted MBS with the NAS still on.

Cheers

Just trying to see if there is some way around this..

I have most of my media on a NAS server, but in one case i have a few folders on another workstation, which i've added to the library on the server.

If that workstation is offline and you launch media browser classic on the client, no media shows up in Media Center.

I see the scan media library failed on the server.. i know why it says it (because its offline), but is there a way to keep the library entry and still show the other media files in the client?

Thanks in advance

Can you post a link to a full server log. Thanks.

markm75

I gave up on this, had to just take the video folders i had on the machine that is randomly off, out of the collection and just use the video feature of Media Center instead.. its a pitty really..

markm75

not to worry. i will be looking at this.

Ah ok thanks.. it will definitely be a bonus if it can be worked around.. mb3 is fantastic in and of itself.

Latchmor

Do you still need a log Luke?

I can get one tonight if you want but I'll have to stop the Library Scan at some point or it will go on for hours! I can let it try for 5 mins or so then stop it to keep the log smaller.

Cheers

his log is a failure,  yours is a slowdown. i already know how to address the slowness but first i want to tackle the failure.

• 1 month later...
Latchmor

@@Luke Tested again as requested. It got slightly further 10% and 28 seconds! However failed again.

Couldn't see option to attach log in PM so posted here.

Cheers

Latchmor

Hi @@Luke, I've been away since Friday. Tested again and yes the the offline items are browsable but covers are missing. Covers are stored with media but I guess the web client should still show a cached copy?

Cheers

Latchmor

No that's currently expected. Does the offline indicator show? Can you post a log anyway I'm curious. Thanks.