DVD rips play with incorrect AR

Harblar

Harblar

So, just installed the latest release of MBT. My DVD Folder rips now play without causing an error/crash, but they seem to be locked in a 4:3 aspect ratio despite being native 16:9 movies.

I just did a fresh windows install on a new ssd (mbt is now lightning fast, btw!) and the only codecs I have installed are the lav filters, madvr, and xyvs sub filters. I believe I have them setup correctly as my BluRay's mkv's play fine and look amazing.

Am I possibly missing an obscure setting somewhere or is this a known issue?

There also doesn't seem to be any way to select different audio streams or subtitles when available.

Harblar

So... is this just me then? :wacko:

Only way I can correct it atm is by using the tvs internal picture size correction, which works fine for the movie, but cuts off all the controls and info if I pop it up.

Harblar

I can later tonight. It's basically just squashing the picture into the middle of the screen. Kind of the opposite of when you make a non widescreen movie stretch to fit a widescreen display.

Last night I ripped a dvd to an mkv file and tried that and it did the same thing.

DingDong

So... is this just me then? :wacko:

Only way I can correct it atm is by using the tvs internal picture size correction, which works fine for the movie, but cuts off all the controls and info if I pop it up.

I have the same issue with DVD ISO's...16:9 native plays at 4:3 aspect ratio. Workaround for me is to resize the MBT window, which in most cases causes the video aspect ratio to adjust and it snaps back to 16:9. 

• 4 months later...
Harblar

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I'm still having this issue. Like DingDong said, hitting the restore window button and then maximizing it again solves the problem.

Here's what it looks like before fixing it. post-1532-0-62673300-1401161681_thumb.jpg

So... Any idea what's causing this and is there a solution that doesn't require me to use the mouse (or do anything, for that matter) to fix the problem?

Harblar

Hey, hate to keep bringing it up, but do any dev' s have any thoughts on this?

I see other people are having some issues with HD content AR's. Is this possibly related?

My system is as follows (since it might be relevant):

Intel C2D E8500 @ 3.8Ghz

8Gb of Ram

MSI GTX560-ti Hawk 1Gb

Win 7 pro 64bit on a 240 Gb Mushkin Chronos Enhanced SSD

Only software I have installed is MBT and associated video/audio filters and codecs.

Also, still no way of selecting multiple audio/sub streams in the info pane. Also not showing total play time during playback, hence no resume function and having to manually push stop at the end of a movie to get back to the main MBT interface.

A8HTPC

install MediaInfo and see if the movie has a 16:9 tag or 4:3 tag. I would assume it would keep the 16:9 tag but I have had a couple movies  with the wrong tag.

Harblar

Most of my dvd's are Video_TS folder rips. I even have a few DVD mkv's. The tags are correct and have played fine on multiple devices and in numerous programs for years. This problem also isn't limited to one or two movies. It occurs on every 480p quality widescreen movie I have. MBT is having some issue with the format. Whether it's specific to the way the DVDs are ripped or an interaction problem with some piece of hardware in my setup, I don't know, but it is a bug with MBT. Obviously it's not very widespread since only a very few people are even experiencing it, but I gotta figure someone has an idea about what might be causing it. I also don't understand why resizing the window fixes the problem. If that works, why is it displaying it wrong in the first place?

A8HTPC

try using MakeMKV and creating a MKV movie file of the actual movie from the ISO. See if there is still an issue with the aspect. All I use is MKV. There is no menu support doing it this way though.

Edited by A8HTPC

Harblar

To reiterate... ALL content I have less than 1080p is having this problem.

The majority of my DVDs were done with DVDShrink... No ISO's. No DVD Menus. I couldn't care less about special features. Just the main movie and relevant audio/subtitle tracks ripped with no compression straight to a Video_TS folder saved on my server like so: Movies\Movie Title (Date)\Video_TS\

I've used MakeMKV to rip a movie (just like my Bluerays) and had the same result.

I'm going to try loading MBT onto my Desktop (same PC as MB Server) and see what happens there. I am still 99.9% sure this is not a problem with the rips, but some issue between MBT and my hardware config.

Harblar

Ok... So I loaded MBT onto my Desktop PC and set it up the same way I have it on my HTPC, or so I thought. I picked a movie and it started playing correctly. Weird, so what's the difference? I double check the settings in MBT and low and behold, MadVr isn't enabled!

I reenable it and start the movie again. Guess what? Wrong AR! Resizing and Maximizing the window fixes the problem again, just like on my HTPC. Sooooo... I think it's safe to say now that the issue is between MBT and MadVr.

What could be causing it? I brought up the madvr debugging pane and it seemed to show everything as being fed correctly. Resizing and going back to fullscreen didn't seem to have any effect on the displayed info. The only thing that changed was the AR.  Is there possibly some setting I have in Madvr or LAV video/splitter that is set wrong and could be causing this. I tried disabling and renabling the displaymode switching and smooth motion with no change.

Any Ideas?