DVD ISO Menus?

DSPollard

DSPollard

Hello all,

I'm fairly new using Media Browser, but so far it is one of the most elegant solutions I've seen for multimedia management.  I'm hoping to use it for DVD ISO jukebox functionality since most modern web browsers have eliminated the ability to launch local files, thus making my current home-grown web interface ineffective at automatically mounting ISO files from a network share and immediately starting playback.  When searching for replacement, I came across the MovieJukebox plug-in for WMC which launched ISO files really well with the use of third-party mounting solution.  Population of metadata was poor, however, as was navigation of my library.  Its support base also seemed sparse.

Then I came across Media Browser.  So far, everything appears to be working well, including metadata population and library browsing, but ISO playback seems to have me stumped.  Every time I use MB Classic to play an ISO, the movie starts streaming the feature chapter rather than opening the DVD title menu and providing me traditional DVD functionality like MovieJukebox did.  I've followed the UNC sharing guide, and my extenders+iso settings are configured correctly in MB Classic Configuration.

Right now, my testing is limited to running MB Classic and MB Server on the same machine.  I don't think that should make a difference, but I'll just throw that out there anyway.  I'll experiment with different machines when I get home and have those resources available to me.

Can anyone offer ideas for getting traditional DVD playback to work?  Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

-DP

If you want to use ISOs I believe you'll need an external player.

Folder structure rips play back fine in WMC/MBC though.

If you want to use ISOs I believe you'll need an external player.

Folder structure rips play back fine in WMC/MBC though.

I think it will work if he sets up mounting software in the configurator.

DSPollard

Did some additional testing at home and got everything working flawlessly.  Took a couple extra steps to get everything working:

1.)  Applied a registry fix to allow setting WMC as a DVD playback application.  Google it or check out this site:  http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-windows-media-center-autoplay-entries-windows-7/

2.)  Set WMC as the default DVD playback device.

3.)  In MBC Config, set "Use Autoplay" checkbox in ISO Mounting Settings to checked (on).

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited by DSPollard

• 5 months later...
DeeMac

I was going to create a new topic, but DSPollard's advice in Post 4 was a simple explanation of what eventually worked for me without even seeing his/her post ... but I would like to expand to help others and give back to someone who may wants a good experience but may not be fully satisfied with VLC.

I was able to configure:

1- Virtual Clonedrive to automount my ISOs.

2- VLC to start in fullscreen, start playing my selected ISO movie and Quit when I pressed EXIT on my harmony remote.  VLC's hotkey for Quit was set to 'Browser Back'.

Here's a look at what I had for the External player setup....

538aabec01323_vlc.png

All File and Video formats were enabled.

Here's the arguments for readability

{0} --fullscreen --video-on-top --play-and-exit --disable-screensaver --qt-minimal-view --no-video-deco --no-playlist-tree --freetype-outline-thickness=6 --extraintf=http --http-host=localhost --http-port=8088 --no-qt-updates-notif

This worked 90% of the time but switching into and out of VLC sometimes lost focus and the remote wouldn't work until I clicked the mouse to select WMC or mediabrowser.  BTW, I also tried VLC 2.0.0, 2.1.0 and 2.1.3 and the VLC 2.x option on the add-in page.

I stumbled onto enabling windows media center to autoplay DVDs here: h t t p://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-windows-media-center-autoplay-entries-windows-7/

A light went on when I came across this....  h t t p://www.avsforum.com/t/1237242/media-browser-and-iso-mounting#post_18365408

I performed the autoplay registry hack and then went back into MB Classic's configurator and removed all external players.  Then, on the extenders + iso tab, I enabled autoplay with virtual clonedrive.

WMC now became the default "External" player in MB Classic and so far has played most of my ISOs and video files perfectly (I think 1 is non-standard or corrupt).

If I ever want to start playing other media formats, I will consider this page later.... h t t p://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and-tweaks/media-center-lav-filters-and-external-subtitles/

• Like 2