Backdrop SS question

pagali

I hope this question is in the right place, it was hard to figure out where to post it... because it is mostly about the Backdrop SS Plugin as used by MBC... but it also seems to affect the MBT built-in screensaver. So feel free to move it if needed.

During my early MB3 beta testing phase at various times I've had CoverArt installed, which didn't last long... (a different set of problems there) and also had MB3 set to extract video snapshots. I've since turned both of those off, but it seems that somewhere hidden away in the depths of the server's image cache, or MBC's, or the Backdrop SS.. . are a bunch of ugly, mostly 4:3, sometimes even corrupted images that come up in my screensaver. These came from a collection of "Home Video" category video clips from news reports, interviews, award shows, etc etc... that I do NOT want used in my MBC or MBT screensavers!

So the real question is... in what specific folder(s) are the images stored that Backdrop SS and the MBT screensaver draw from? I'm happy to go in and cull out the unwanted ones... if I only had a clue where to go.

I wish there was a way to tell MB3 only to use valid Movie or TV Show backdrops in the screensavers... but unfortunately it grabs them from all over, even Collections that aren't cataloged, aren't set to retrieve metadata, and aren't set to extract snapshots (at least not any more.)

Can anybody help? :)

Edited by pagali

mbt pulls from everywhere, and it has no correlation with the mbc plugin. there are no settings at this time but perhaps down the road.

Logos302

The Backdrop SS plugin pulls from your library.  The BackDropXX.jpg files and Folder.jpg files in the library.  So it's very much like MBT screen saver.  

^Well, that's what I would have supposed, yes... except that the Home Video collections I described above don't have any backdrops or folder.jpg's... I made sure of that by manually going through the folders, both in Windows Explorer, and also in the Metadata Manager.

Logos302

Might also be getting it from the hidden metadata folder (if you have one).  It would be in \\server\TVshare\TVShow\Season1\metadata  

pagali

Might also be getting it from the hidden metadata folder (if you have one).  It would be in \\server\TVshare\TVShow\Season1\metadata  

All suggestions are welcome. :)

However, I don't mind the screensavers using valid movie and TV backdrops or even episode backdrops. It's the 'Home Videos' category that is the problem. Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier that it's even picking up personal photos from my Pictures Collection! Not to mention that area is just that... Personal... it also includes boring documentation of home improvement projects, etc. Not exactly what anybody would want in their home theater screensaver! :D

pagali

Thanks ebr... as long as it's on the roadmap I'm happy. (Interestingly, I never saw the problem in MB2...) But I went in and deleted everything in the "extracted-images' folder, and went through my 'home videos' type collection again and removed some newly added garbage images. That seems to have helped. The personal photos haven't showed up today, I'll watch for them.

My main problem with CoverArt was that it wouldn't ignore collections (like the ones I described above) even though I added them to the 'Folders to be ignored' list. If it couldn't find a folder.jpg or backdrop.jpg it would put one of those light blue Coverart images in place. So I wound up with dozens of those all over the place, and they were even showing up in my MBC and MBT screensavers! :D  I didn't report it at the time because I wasn't sure it didn't result from something I did or didn't do... and then the holidays came along.

It's been a fun ride, but I'm really not 'impatient' or upset. I just bring these things to the devs' attention so they can make it onto the 'to-do' list.

These plugins are just direct copies of the mb2 ones so they will find all backdrops from all items. I haven't taken the time to update them yet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am more interested in the issues you had with coverart actually ...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

pagali

Would be good if that option was in the backdrop SS plugin too.

GF keeps getting confused when backdrops from the trailers plugin are displayed and she is seeing backdrops from movies I don't have in my library.

Yes, I agree. It's lovely to be able to choose only my TV and Movies collections to be used. :D

pagali

Followup to the screensaver problems described above...

I've been trying out the Subdued theme in MBC, which has its own built-in optional Cover Wall Screensaver. You can choose in the settings which of your media folders SS images will be drawn from! Coolness! Now I don't see anything but TV show and Movie posters. Guess I'll stay here a while.

mentasm

Would be good if that option was in the backdrop SS plugin too.

GF keeps getting confused when backdrops from the trailers plugin are displayed and she is seeing backdrops from movies I don't have in my library.