Android App work with Google TV?

jj12345

jj12345

Bought the android app for kindle and it works great.... looked for it on google tv and it's not found.  Any plans to have it work for Google TV?  I tried the HTML client in Chrome on Google TV and it works reasonably well except the full-screen link doesn't work which makes it, for the most part, unusable for watching video.

Redshirt

I don't currently have any plans to support any of the Android 3.0 TV's. However the TV's based on Android 4.0+ are something I'd like to support.

• 1 year later...

I don't currently have any plans to support any of the Android 3.0 TV's. However the TV's based on Android 4.0+ are something I'd like to support.

Hey neighbour.

I'm wondering if anything has changed in a year? I love my Google TV and it's a primary playback device for my TV. As much as I'd love to convert from Plex, lack of Google TV support is the only thing which would stop me in my tracks.

Are there any specific API calls which require Android 4.x+ in the current app? Or is it just the touch-less navigation which is a problem?

Could the GoogleTV support be implemented if enough people pledge monetary support?

Edited by stangri

I'm afraid even Google has abandoned Google TV.  They now have a new incarnation called Android TV which we will be supporting.

Unfortunately Android TV lacks some hardware features from Google TV (namely an HDMI-in and ethernet port, not to mention native DTS playback of sony nsz-gt1) so I can't just upgrade hardware. 

Does the Android project target API level 14+? I wish I was more technical than I am -- but can anyone try to build the app with API level 13 and see what happens? Maybe it will build just fine?

• 2 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

Google TV is dead so I don't see anyone wanting to further support or do any further development.

No point in beating a dead horse and at some point you will have to move on, 2015 should be a good year with lots of new up-and-coming products to choose from. I hope you find something that better suits your needs.

Cheers!

Does the Android project target API level 14+? I wish I was more technical than I am -- but can anyone try to build the app with API level 13 and see what happens? Maybe it will build just fine?

Anyone, anyone?

16. I don't know if it will build lower than that, we haven't tried in a while.

Oh, bummer. Well, I'd greatly appreciate if anyone tries to build it targeting API level 13 and if it builds I will totally test it.

I understand your guys reluctancy to put any effort to make it build with 13 if it fails, I hope that I'll see better Android TV devices in the future, I can't really part with the PiP feature of Google TV.