Is it possible to access MB3 when not home using the internet?

exiledone1

exiledone1

Hi,

I know we can access our library through the internet, but i'm curious if that can only be done when we are around our server and wifi? For instance, I'm at my parents house now and they have wifi. Is there anyway possible to access my library (the mb3 server is set up on my home computer) from here using the internet? Like a special website address to access my library?

I know Air VIdeo HD can access your media over the internet from anywhere as long as you have a decent connection and your server is running at home, but was wondering if that could be done with MB3?

And if this is possible how do I set it up? What web address do I use to access my library online and anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance

Josh

Edited by exiledone1

simono5

I've managed this.  I forwarded port 8096 on my router to the IP of my MBS.  I then signed up for DynDNS and also set this up on my router so that it sync's with my own external IP.  I also set-up the required user accounts within MBS.

I can now sign in to my server from my parents house using http://DYNDNSHOST:8096/mediabrowser

I've also got this set-up in my iOs client and the kids Android.

Personally I've found playing my media a bit hit and miss.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes I get video freezing but audio playing.

I'd certainly like to hear how other members are getting on.

How well this works will be dependent on a lot of variables including your content and the quality level you are trying to achieve.

One of the biggest limiting factors for most people will be the fact that their upstream bandwidth for their inet connection where the server is will be much less than their downstream.

My service has 5Mb up which I find I can usually get pretty good results with.  If your service is less than that you will probably have trouble delivering anything of any quality.

Cheesegeezer

I've been using NOIP.com for free as i only have one MBserver at home, the only snag is you have to tell it you are alive every month, but for free I can do that .  I think Airbender or Yardameus point me in the right direction a while ago on the old CT.

exiledone1

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for the reply and I'm sort of tech savy, but nothing special. From everyone's post here I'll assume the server doesn't do this automatically and I'll need to manually setup port forwarding then. I know in the past other servers such as Air Video HD did this automatically for me. Still, I'll give the advice in this thread a try. I'm assuming it doesn't work out the box at the second cause I just tryed to put my ip address then port and then mediabrowser to access my library and nothing happened. So I guess this means I'll have to try port fowarding. Thanks again everyone!

Josh

Edited by exiledone1

mentasm

I've got it working.  I can watch TV and movies over cellular on my mobile phone.  Had to switch the streaming rate down to 250kb/s.  That's mostly due to my pathetic DSL at home.  Only achieve about 800k/s up on a good day.

Was disappointed to find out I could access it properly via cellular on my ipad though.  Turns out the iOS app requires iOS 7 and my gen 1 I pad can't even be upgraded to 6.0.  Have found streaming via web client is no where near as successful as via the android or iOS apps.

Nate8727

I've got it working.  I can watch TV and movies over cellular on my mobile phone.  Had to switch the streaming rate down to 250kb/s.  That's mostly due to my pathetic DSL at home.  Only achieve about 800k/s up on a good day.

Was disappointed to find out I could access it properly via cellular on my ipad though.  Turns out the iOS app requires iOS 7 and my gen 1 I pad can't even be upgraded to 6.0.  Have found streaming via web client is no where near as successful as via the android or iOS apps.

Your iPad 1st Gen CAN be upgraded to iOS 7.  Just search for Whited00r 7.

bloodtaker

For me the web side of things work great at 3Mb upload speed works for 720p and below. Which 95% of my movies are encoded at this or less to save space and I really don't see to much of a difference as far away as i sit from my monitors.

I do have a few 1080p that work at 3Mb as second as well but they are compressed pretty good. For me I think the biggest issue is the fact that I am using a Phenom II 910e Quad core energy efficient cpu clocked at 2.6ghz as my server.

• 8 months later...
exiledone1

Does anyone have a clue on how to set this up with a netgear router. I'm trying to follow the guide, but I'm completely lost. Everytime I try to add the port forwarding rule it says Specific Ports are being used by other configurations??

Edited by exiledone1

AgileHumor

You can try this for help with your router:

http://portforward.com/ 

or

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/default.htm 

Folks here are typically more savvy on the MediaBrowser softward, not on the hundreds of router model configuration.

To recap:

* Open the port (typically 8096) on the firewall

* Set a static IP address (* a number like xx.xx.xx.xx) or find a variety of 'dynamic DNS providers' (like NoIP.com or DynDNS.com) to use a name like myhome.homeip.net instead of the number.  That way if your ISP updates your address, you can still connect.  My IP hasn't updated in a year with AT&T uverse.

Connect to 

http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8096/mediabrowser or http://myhome.homeip.net:8096/mediabrowser 
Edited by AgileHumor