Luke

Setup

See http://emby.media/download

Command line arguments (optional)

-ffmpeg "path" supply a custom path to ffmpeg

-ffprobe "path" supply a custom path to ffprobe

-programdata "path" supply a custom program data path

How would this be installed on OS X?

well you'll still have to build mono, most likely. but the server itself doesn't have an installer so you just download and run it.

abeloin

Small guide to help

Url to connect to: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser

(Building Mono should not be necessary once mono official release has been updated.)

Linux:

Building Mono:

There's three way to do this:

1. Build everything from source.
  2. Use Pokorra's repo and rebuild mono-opt.
  3. Use someone else's prebuilt package for Pokorra's repo

First option:

Second option:

Third option:

MediaBrowser:

• Unzip mediabrowser
  • Open a terminal
  • If using Pokorra's build, type at prompt(this will set environnement variables):
    . /opt/mono/env.sh
  • Go to mediabrowser's folder and type:
    mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

Mac:

• Build Mono for git, see this link (Error in doc: autogen should be autogen.sh)
  • Build libgdi+, TBA (MacPorts?) (Require x11)
  • Unzip mediabrowser
  • In a Terminal, go to mediabrowser's folder and type:
    mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

Notes:

If your mono installation is in a non-standard path, create a file called env.sh with this content in mediabrowser folder(don't forget to substitute path):

export PATH=/opt/mono/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mono/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/mono/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Before running mediabrowser in mediabrowser folder in Terminal, type this command:
. /opt/mono/env.sh

Edited by abeloin
  • Like 1

Thanks Luke!

@@abeloin, can you perhaps give a quick breakdown of step 1, for the guys that don't know how to build, and apply the patch needed?

Yea that would be great. Once these patches go into the official mono release it won't be necessary. But it is for now.

Thanks, anything you can do to gift wrap it for people would be great until a new mono release is out. It will help lower the barrier to entry for jumping in.

• Like 1

im85288

Thanks for this, I will attempt to install this on OS X. Step 1 seems to be well described in that I will follow the links to build mono.

However at this stage I am confused with steps 2 and 3.

2. Install libgbi_x86_32 - where do we get this? And where to install too?

3. Download and run the server - again where to get this and how do we run it?

Thanks, anything you can do to gift wrap it for people would be great until a new mono release is out. It will help lower the barrier to entry for jumping in.

I second this.

Recently switched from MB3 to xmbcbuntu on linux as my little ion acer revo machine just couldn't use windows and mediabrowser. And I know absolutely nothing about linux.

Would love to get MB3 back on my machine as I have much greater control on how I want things. Or maybe it's just I know how and what to do on mediabrowser. But either way I like it more.

Is there anyway we could get something like the xbmcbuntu. I mean in the way it can load the OS and the program all in one? That would be perfect.

Well #1 and #2 I can understand asking questions on, but for #3 there is a download link right at the top of this thread. So just make sure to read everything.

Or you could edit your post to have the download link under #3. It is slightly confusing the way you ordered that post.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Forgive me here guys, I have a question.

So I'm aware that we are doing well with the mono/linux server?  Does this come with a linux Client/App to be used out of the box?  

I'm just trying to get my head around this side of things?

Cheers

Some questions that I have been asked with regards to Linux/Mono MB

I've heard that mono can be pretty sluggish. Being compared a lot to languages like java.
  • Has anyone that has tried it so far had any issues with speed or choppiness?
  • Is there any plans in the future to make it native?

Lastly (for now), I wanted to ask about remote control. Since I use Linux, my remote is Lirc based.
  • Is this supported?
Edited by Cheesegeezer

Forgive me here guys, I have a question.

So I'm aware that we are doing well with the mono/linux server?  Does this come with a linux Client/App to be used out of the box?  

I'm just trying to get my head around this side of things?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking how to run the binary for MediaBrowser Server on linux? You just pass the .exe file from #3 to mono as an argument:

# mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

You probably want to run it as root or use sudo

Also, the first time it runs it tries to open up a web browser to do initial configuration. I had tried to run it on a headless machine and got an error. But it displayed the web page it was trying to use and I was able to access it remotely over my LAN.

Edited by jwill

Cheesegeezer

this is just the server. it has nothing more than the windows version.

Cheers, will there be a linux client in development after the server has finished.

Also I edited my post above, can you help me out in anyway.

The mono server will perform very well, perhaps just as well because the performance critical operations are all handled by native libraries built for their platforms - ffmpeg, sqlite, etc. What may effect performance is how people choose to run it. If people try to run the server on their key chain or a dinky vm with very limited resources, then there will be an impact there. 

As far as the remote goes, we're only talking about the server here. This has nothing to do with what clients you use.

• Like 2

im85288

Well #1 and #2 I can understand asking questions on, but for #3 there is a download link right at the top of this thread. So just make sure to read everything.

Fair enough, steps 1 and 3 are perfectly clear now. Could you clarify step 2? I did a google search on libgbi_x86_32 but only came back with hits on this page. Thanks for your help, almost there I think :)

Fair enough, steps 1 and 3 are perfectly clear now. Could you clarify step 2? I did a google search on libgbi_x86_32 but only came back with hits on this page. Thanks for your help, almost there I think :)

That's a typo. It is libgdi, not libgbi

Also, the exact name of the package depends on your distro. Look for something like libgdi or libgdiplus or libgdi+ and also for 32-bit rather than 64-bit.

• Like 1

Thanks for this, I will attempt to install this on OS X. Step 1 seems to be well described in that I will follow the links to build mono.

Is there another way to get the linux build other than this link? I don't want to build it myself, but are there nightly builds or anything posted?

Currently it is saying:

Version 3.0.5119.23994

A new version of Media Browser Server is available!

Version 3.0.5120.24597 is now available for download.
Please shutdown the server and update manually.

Is there really a linux build available with that version? Or is it just looking at the Windows build version?

where else would you want it?. i'll update it periodically once it's all fleshed out it will be on the website. yea that update check is looking at the windows version, so that needs to be fixed.

where else would you want it?. i'll update it periodically once it's all fleshed out it will be on the website. yea that update check is looking at the windows version, so that needs to be fixed.

Anywhere is fine. I was just wondering whether there was another place to get it that had a newer linux build version. Apparently the answer is no.

It would be helpful if you put the version number in the filename of the zip file.

abeloin

Libgdiplus is avaible from https://github.com/mono/libgdiplus

It should be install automatically when you run: make install

Also if you have problem with with gdi+ after the install from Mono http://www.mono-project.com/Problem:GDIPlusInit

abeloin

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking how to run the binary for MediaBrowser Server on linux? You just pass the .exe file from #3 to mono as an argument:

# mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

You probably want to run it as root or use sudo

Also, the first time it runs it tries to open up a web browser to do initial configuration. I had tried to run it on a headless machine and got an error. But it displayed the web page it was trying to use and I was able to access it remotely over my LAN.

You shouldn't run this as root. Create a user for it.