Like MBT but... It's unusable for video playback

2BTSquared

2BTSquared

So far Media Browser with MBT has looked pretty good. I understand that MBT is still being developed and there will be some nits. But right now  MBT is essentially unusable on my machine. No matter what video I try to play, playback stutters etc. Although the LAV video filter is set to use DXVA2 it doesn't appear that I'm getting hardware acceleration. I also have Mediaportal installed and set to use the same LAV video filter. Mediaportal plays back everything just fine. With mediaportal, my CPU usage is in the 1 to 3% range. When playing the same video in MBT, my CPU usage is in the 10 to 15% range. 

I set VLC up as an external player and that worked ok. Videos play fine in VLC. However, functionality is lost by going that route. MBT no longer gives you the option to resume from where you left off if you stop playback part way through a movie. Also, theme videos don't play in the background. Instead they play in VLC in the foreground. After removing the external player setup (deleting that section from the config.xml file) the resume feature still does not appear/work. 

So, is there something I need to look at/change that will resolve my issues?

My systems specs:

CPU: Intel Core I7-4770K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H

Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600

HDD: Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 128GB

External HDD: Toshiba Canvio 3TB USB3.0

Graffics: Intel HD4600 intergrated

Hardware shouldn't be an issue. 

MBT Version 3.0.5097.22952

MB Server Version 3.0.5115.35703

I've attached the last session logs. I played a representative video in that session. 

Oh... one last nit... It doesn't appear that MBT is setup to accommodate 4:3 aspect ratio displays... I've got a client PC that - for the moment - has a 4:3 display. It would be nice if MBT could be configured to work more nicely with it.  

theater-63525118841.log

server-63525095100.log

It's early and we're still learning why this happens on some systems but not others. If you could try lots of different combinations of settings then that would give us more information.

2BTSquared

I've tried every setting that makes sense... Tried all the various hardware acceleration settings. Nothing changes. Active Decoder in LAV shows dxva2n when both MBT and Mediaportal play the same videos. Only difference - that I can see - is that MP works and MBT doesn't. 

There's nothing special in terms of enhancements set in my graphics card drivers... 

I should also note that the "resume" is now back... Maybe I just didn't play the video long enough to get it...

Edited by t^2

2BTSquared

have you tried with hw acceleration off. also make sure you're video drivers are up to date.

Yes... I've tried it with HA off. Same results as when DXVA2 is selected. CPU usage is high and video stutters. However, LAV reports that dxva2n is in use when DXVA2 is selected. Again... note that Mediaportal is using the same LAV filter with the same exact settings and it's playing the videos fine. 

Video drivers are up to date. 

Edited by t^2

Nate8727

Is your Theater and Server on the same machine or different machines?  If different, you could have a network bottleneck somewhere.  Check your router, and firewall settings for any issues.

2BTSquared

Is your Theater and Server on the same machine or different machines?  If different, you could have a network bottleneck somewhere.  Check your router, and firewall settings for any issues.

Actually, I have MBT on the MB Server machine and on another client machine. On both machines this is a problem. Right now Media Browser is not an option for me until this is resolved.

Koleckai Silvestri

Hmmm... I have MediaBrowser Theater running on two machines right now. Both are fairly default installs in that I have not used external players or messed with LAV settings. I did turn on subtitles by enabling and editing xysubfilter settings. All my videos play on the PCs. One is an AMD hex-core machine that is about 5 years old running Windows 7. The other is a quad-core Sandy Bridge i5 running Windows 7. All my video is either in MKV or MP4 containers.

Playback on the iPhone is my only current problem. I believe this is due to how the video is packaged currently.

Edited by Wayne Luke

2BTSquared

i think a pattern might be having low end and/or intel onboard graphics. obviously we'll solve it but until then you're better off with mbc if you're affected by this.

So far the Intel HD4600 has worked for everthing that I've thrown at it using every application except MBT. Since an Intel Core I7-4770K (Haswell) on a Z87 chipset based motherboard is pretty recent and more than adequate for HD/SD video chores, I wouldn't expect any problems. But that's just a view from a laymen looking at the surface...

2BTSquared

And this is me reminding you that it's an alpha, not even in beta stage yet. That means it is only a preview of what it is to become and the only development that has occurred to this point is feature development. No work has been done on efficiency or polishing it to a release ready level. So it's behaving exactly like an alpha is expected to - fine for those who have environments similar to what we've tested on, not fine for others.

Understood...

Just disappointed that it's not working for me at this point in time. So far - for the apps/platforms that I've looked at - MB/MBT looks like one of the best. It's layout and presentation is great looking right out of the box. I like that it's not DB dependent. It seems lightweight/quick and it seams easy to modify/configure.

Right up front I thought MBT was going to be my goto so I introduced it to my better half. The WAF is not looking forward  to recinding that decission and telling her she has to learn something else.

Great work though... It's looking good so far....

Edited by t^2

So far the Intel HD4600 has worked for everthing that I've thrown at it using every application except MBT. Since an Intel Core I7-4770K (Haswell) on a Z87 chipset based motherboard is pretty recent and more than adequate for HD/SD video chores, I wouldn't expect any problems. But that's just a view from a laymen looking at the surface...

And this is me reminding you that it's an alpha, not even in beta stage yet. That means it is only a preview of what it is to become and the only development that has occurred to this point is feature development. No work has been done on efficiency or polishing it to a release ready level. So it's behaving exactly like an alpha is expected to - fine for those who have environments similar to what we've tested on, not fine for others.

• Like 2

i think a pattern might be having low end and/or intel onboard graphics. obviously we'll solve it but until then you're better off with mbc if you're affected by this.

When I have issues with PowerDVD. The first thing they ask you to do is to run Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool (DXDiag.exe) and send them the report. So maybe there is something in this report that will help you Luke. Usually just type in "DxDiag" in the run or search bar in the start menu. When it starts up, it runs a check, once it finishes, you can "save all information" and they could post it. That info might be usefull to you.

candybar213

@@Luke I was talking to you yesterday about HA I was just wondering I the OP is aware there is a HA setting in the MBT settings that maybe why MBT is the only one with problems because it is not using the same setting as everything else in lav. Just a thought

The Candybar213

well that's the tradeoff with having our own settings menu, is that we're going to load up lav with your default settings, then apply our settings on top of that. but it kind of has to be that way. for every lav expert who would object to that, there's 10 people who don't know what they're doing and would benefit from having settings directly in mbt.

candybar213
well that's the tradeoff with having our own settings menu, is that we're going to load up lav with your default settings, then apply our settings on top of that. but it kind of has to be that way. for every lav expert who would object to that, there's 10 people who don't know what they're doing and would benefit from having settings directly in mbt.

I get that now but is this user aware of that and has HA turned on in the MBT setting and not just depending on the setting in the lav configuration.

The Candybar213

Davidtt485

I believe this use FFMPEG errors Logs instead. Something seems really off here, since MBT uses Lav Filters I am willing to be there an issue there with them. Maybe settings left over from a previous install. I have a Very Lowly AMD A3400 APU and it plays MBT with Zero Stutter. The i7 has too much horsepower, it should be able to play a video with or without DXVA.

2BTSquared

I get that now but is this user aware of that and has HA turned on in the MBT setting and not just depending on the setting in the lav configuration. The Candybar213

If there is a HA setting somewhere in MBT, then I haven't seen it. 

Koleckai Silvestri

Could set an expert mode flag on the profile and have it ignore internal settings.

Koleckai Silvestri

If there is a HA setting somewhere in MBT, then I haven't seen it. 

Newest build...

Settings -> Video Player in MBT.

2BTSquared

Newest build...

Settings -> Video Player in MBT.

Newest build... That's why I didn't see it. 

Doesn't matter though... I tried every option under HA and none worked (to include "Disabled"... naturally). They all behave just as if Disabled was set. 

candybar213
Newest build... That's why I didn't see it.

Doesn't matter though... I tried every option under HA and none worked (to include "Disabled"... naturally). They all behave just as if Disabled was set.

The MBT setting take over so I the MBT is set to off it will not matter what you set in the lav setting it will be off

The Candybar213

2BTSquared

The MBT setting take over so I the MBT is set to off it will not matter what you set in the lav setting it will be off The Candybar213

The HA setting that I was referring to was the HA setting in MBT. So yes, MBT's HA setting has been set to all available options and none work. LAV is set to DXVA2. 

As a side note... Mediaportal is also set to use LAV. It has no problems with HA and playing the videos correctly. 

candybar213
The HA setting that I was referring to was the HA setting in MBT. So yes, MBT's HA setting has been set to all available options and none work. LAV is set to DXVA2.

As a side note... Mediaportal is also set to use LAV. It has no problems with HA and playing the videos correctly.

Ok sorry I just mid understood what you were saying I have one file the stud deere on playback I just found tonight. I have not looked into it much mine does not seem to be only audio though it is the audio and video together so I don't think it would just be a lav issue

The Candybar213