Spotify plugin?

njoak

As the title implies. It is not entirely obvious and might be a topic of discussion, but I think it makes sense to have Spotify present in the MB3 ecosystem for us who mainly consume music from that source. Spotify has an API so it should be possible: https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/

I myself presently use Airplay to stream Spotify from for instance an Ipad to my HTPC (which in turn feeds my stereo system). This is fine, but having Spotify integrated in the system of server and multiple possible clients and their respective and collective features just ... makes sense.

For instance it would be sweet to finally have a usable 10' interface to Spotify, with the browsability and eye candy that MBT offers. Having all media gathered under the same interface with a consistent gui is also one of the fundamental ideas behind Media Browser in the first place, I guess. 

Secondly, having content at the highest quality settings synced and stored locally on the machine (server) that hooks up to the stereo system should appeal to higher-end crowds (who knows in what way airplay degrades the sound, heh?).

Also, the flexibility of the server/clients setup is enticing, for instance the possibilities to remote-control the music from your mobile client or instead stream to it. Ok, you can do similar with Airplay but not in the same framework as the rest of your media, and not with the same decoding and processing horsepower of your server PC. I'm sure the MB3 ecosystem has potential for more features and use cases than this.

In fact, if streaming to several clients could be synchronised you would basically be able to get convenient multi-room functionality and compete with systems like Sonos, no? This is a feature request in itself, but anyway (I'll post that elsewhere).

Edit: fixed the link

Edit 2: spelling and grammar

Edited by njoak
  • Like 5

Koleckai Silvestri

You can use the new Program Launcher Plugin for Media Browser Theater. I have it loading Spotify's desktop app but you can use it to trigger the Windows 8 app or the Web Player as well.

Remote control would take a lot more work.

Edited by Wayne Luke

@

Sure, but personally I feel such solutions tend to just be clunky and feel like a metaphorical band-aid. I'd rather just stream from a tablet and turn off the TV.

Do you feel you get the same experience in Spotify's desktop app as you do in MBT? Imagine browsing your playlists and songs in the MBT interface instead, with all the dynamic content and graphic eye candy that Spotify has being integrated in your MBT experience. I think simplicity and visual appeal should not be underestimated for a very large part of the users out there.

Searching and such is probably superfluous in MBT though, I'd rather use a computer or tablet for that. Same reason: it would just be clunky in my opinion (using a remote). Smart suggestions powered by Spotify and browsable/clickable in a simple manner is a different story though... The dynamic panes on the EHS in MBT could be awesome for presenting stuff like this!   :)

Edited by njoak

Koleckai Silvestri

Well personally, I am just waiting for music support in MBT to begin with. I can see a Spotify app down the road but we need basic Music support first. Then we can weave our own music into Spotify playlists and more.

I have personally thought about a Spotify plugin but still waiting on music and playlist support.

Well, throwing ideas out there at an early stage is usually a Good Thing regardless. :)

I haven't followed the music development so maybe the basic music back end is not place? Otherwise I see no reason to wait - I guess it is just a question of an interested developer deciding he/she wants to do it. Like many others I personally have no own music in that sense and don't need support for that per sé but otherwise it seems natural having all your music weaved together.

Edited by njoak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
snazy2000

There was talk of spotify plugin being created once the channel system was created which is currently being done :) so hopefully soon :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...