MBPlus - Gauging Interest

keef

MBPlus Interest  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in this plug-in?

I love MB3, and use the W8 client, WMC,  the Windows phone client and the Android client.

BUT my main HTPC still runs MB2 BECAUSE OF MBPlus.

Implementation in MB3 would be awesome, and I'd have no excuses for running MB2!

Edited by keef

DGMayor

I used it with my son so I could start him on a show and it would play multiples with him having to bug me every time a show ended to start a new one (yeah, I'm that dad, quit judging me).

I am considering re-implementing MBPlus in MB3 and would like feedback and interest.  Here is what it would be and how it would work.

What is MBPlus?

MBPlus is a layer of intelligence on top of MB that gives you a view of your library that emphasizes the things you are most likely to want to get to most.  It provides channels which are customized collections of media items that can be played easily in sequence.

For instance, it would provide you a configurable number of channels for the TV shows you are currently watching that would line up the next episodes one after another and play them back to back.  It would present these in a manner that was easy to see what was coming up and when it would end if you started right now.

It would also create channels based on the most recent movies you have watched - presenting you with a line-up of similar movies that you could choose one of or watch several back to back.

MBPlus would also provide some specialized views to make finding content quicker and easier.

Basically, MBPlus will replace the start screen in the client with an intelligent EHS of sorts giving you quick access to what you are most likely to want to see.

How would it work?

The system would consist of a server-side plug-in that delivers the specialized content to clients that have the capability to receive and display it.  The first client to support it would be MBC because I have a head start on that implementation (from the old MB2 plug-in).  A web-based interface would probably follow next and then, if the demand is there, an MBT implementation.

The server plug-in would be a premium plug-in (probably $8) but MB2 registrations of the old plug-in would be honored.  The client side interfaces would be free.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words so here are a few thousand:

52e1896dee2c4_mbpsugg.png

52e189de5b3d8_mbptvchannel.png

52e189f389d27_mbpmoviechannel.png

52e18a0bd97fb_mbpcollastiles.png

52e18a2d3493c_mbpviews.png

52e18a8267a69_mbpindexview.png

52e18a9637655_mbpindexmusic.png

Please post feedback and interest in this thread.  Thanks.

• Like 2

CBers

I never used it in MB2, but I may be swayed to give it another try.

I'm sure there are plenty of previous users desperate for it to make a return :)

Koleckai Silvestri

Would be interested in a MBT version. I have Classic installed but not a big fan of Windows Media Center overall.

re: The server plug-in would be a premium plug-in (probably $8) but MB2 registrations of the old plug-in would be honored.

I have no affiliation with EBR, but seriously even if you did buy it for MB2, you should rebuy for MB3.  It takes effort and work from devs to make our MediaBrowser how we want it.  Sorry, just my 2 cents.

seanbuff

I would absolutely be interested in this for MBC!

Just curious though, would it be possible to not completely replace the EHS? Just in case I want access to both? 

Soultaker

Hmm not sure how to say this... I like the functionality that MB Plus brings but I dont like the way it takes over the home screen as it's style typically clashes with the underlying theme. It's why I can't keep MB Plus on.

Cheesegeezer

Looks good Ebr, I never used it in MB2, but would certainly like to see this in MBC.

Edit: You should probably add a poll

Edited by Cheesegeezer

I like the functionality that MB Plus brings but I dont like the way it takes over the home screen as it's style typically clashes with the underlying theme. It's why I can't keep MB Plus on.

I always found MBPlus skinnable enough to prevent too jarring a clash with the underlying theme.  For example, this is how I was set up with MBPlus on top of neo:

52e2a67a552e6_MBPlusmusicthumbs.jpg

Edited by keef
  • Like 1

Soultaker

I always found MBPlus skinnable enough to prevent too jarring a clash with the underlying theme.  For example, this is how I was set up with MBPlus on top of neo:

I suppose as a developer I have a different viewpoint but not to take anything away from you or ebr or anything like that, let's just agree to disagree.

Hmm not sure how to say this... I like the functionality that MB Plus brings but I dont like the way it takes over the home screen as it's style typically clashes with the underlying theme. It's why I can't keep MB Plus on.

I understand what you are saying but MBPlus is really designed to be a partial theme of its own.  The EHS is really the whole nut so presenting that as the main screen is the only way it works the way it is designed.

It is highly-customizable visually to try to account for this but it won't mesh with all themes perfectly.

Okay, probably not gonna happen for 8 people ;) but I could probably address the concern of wanting to not replace the home screen by having that optional and then having an entry point to the MBPlus start screen from the EHS.  Although that is never how I would personally use it because the whole point is to get what you are likely to want right in front of you.

he could but it would be a frustrating process for him. the MBT core still has a lot of evolving to do. Anyone who builds a plugin for it right now is going to have to endure a lot of breaking changes over the next several months.

As I said above, I would do an mbt client if demand were there. However, I would wait until the platform stabilizes.

This plugin would take a good amount of time to develop, maintain and support and I already have a lot on my plate. So I'm really a bit torn right now.

• Like 1

Okay, probably not gonna happen for 8 people ;) but I could probably address the concern of wanting to not replace the home screen by having that optional and then having an entry point to the MBPlus start screen from the EHS.  Although that is never how I would personally use it because the whole point is to get what you are likely to want right in front of you.

One thing is to try to have it look like Chocolate for example.  Have it seamless and not stick out like a sore thumb.  Seamless blending between this and the theme, where you wouldn't even know this was a separate addon.

Unless that is your intention already :)

AgileHumor

EBR, this sounds like a great idea as an automation and selection engine. 

• Keeping TV playing without manual intervention.  Latest episodes all queued up in row would be awesome.
  • Helping select a movie to watch by tiles: Genre, # Times Watched, Rating, Year...then play trailers for 15-30 seconds and then skip to next one if no input pushed.
  • When TV or Movies if idle for x minutes  from favorites. 

Basically, automate most of the work involved in keeping the media playing when TV is a background item rather than foreground.   

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 1

BATTLE DONKEY

Tough choice for me because I've always loved the layout and simplicity of chocolate, but I do like how, to me it seems at least, it looks like MBT/Neo with options to quickly jump into a movie or tv show I might want to see.

For me its a maybe leaning towards yes, absolutely. I was always curious about it in on MB2 but never took the plunge but I may give it a shot even if I dont like it in the end

One thing is to try to have it look like Chocolate for example.  Have it seamless and not stick out like a sore thumb.  Seamless blending between this and the theme, where you wouldn't even know this was a separate addon.

Unless that is your intention already :)

That would be the intention.

LASooner

Didn't the original allow you to not have the EHS take over?

I know my wife didn't like that much, so it was off, but we made a channel for our kid that would play all his different shows, so we did use it, but I know the EHS part was turned off.