SortName Not Being Read From movie.xml

Pais
Go to solution Solved by Pais,

Server Version 3.0.5137.38567

I just added Letters From Iwo Jima to my collection which is a companion film to Flags of Our Fathers. As such I manually edited the movie.xml for Letters From Iwo Jima adding the following:

<SortTitle>Flags of Our Fathers 2</SortTitle>

However when I update the metadata in the web client the field isn't being read:

52e86429c1f33_Capture.png

I can manually edit in the web client and then the change is retained. I think that this is a regression as I have some other movies in my library that did pull the sort name from movie.xml at some point (e.g. The Dark Knight as Batman Begins 2, The Dark Knight Rises as Batman Begins 3).

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. I'll give two answers and hopefully one is the one which will give you the right information. 

I manually create the movie.xml files before adding a new movie to my collection.

To edit the sort name so that it sorts properly I edited the Sort Name field in the web client and hit save. Then I verified that the movie sorts properly. As a test I then deleted the sort name, saved and refreshed the metadata. At this point in the process is what's show in the image above.

Manually editing the xml file is not always going to be retained.  If you use the web interface to do the editing, it should.  When you ask the web editor to refresh an item, and you use our metadata providers, you are asking it to refresh the data from the internet provider - which will overwrite your manual edits.

SortName doesn't get overwritten, but it isn't being honored when edited externally either.

Existing movie, sort name says "movie name" in MB editor.

Opened movie.xml in Notepad++, no SortName tag is present, added the SortName tag with a value of "movie name 2".

Rescanned media, sortname still says "movie name" in MB.

Used MB to change sort name to "movie name 3", saved.

Checked xml in NP++, sortname was changed to "movie name 3".

Edited xml with NP++ changed to "movie name 4", refresh with MB, no change in xml sort name still shows as "movie name 3".

• 2 weeks later...