"Save metadata and images within media folders"

oceanclub
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

oceanclub

I've updated from MB2 to MB3 + MB Classic (as I use the XBox 360 an extender).

My setup is that I have Media Browser and my OS (Windows 7 64-bit) among other things on my main C: drive, which is an SSD, while all my media is on a normal hard drive.

In this case, for speed (which is of the essence when using an XBox 360 extender), should I switch "Save metadata and images within media folders" on or off?

Also, if switched off, where _is the metadata stored? And I must have it switched on, then switch it off, what happens to the metadata files already downloaded and stored in the media folders?

Thanks,

P.

In the server's data folder, to which the path is displayed in the server dashboard. If you change the setting it currently only affects new images that are downloaded going forward. Existing images won't be migrated.

oceanclub

Existing images won't be migrated.

So if I'm going to leave "Save metadata and images within media folders" off, I really should do an uninstall and start again?

P.

• Solution

No because we will still see the images that have already been downloaded and we'll end up using those. So if you really want to migrate you'd have to delete the images that have been downloaded already and then use the metadata manager to refresh items and download them to the new location.

• Like 1

Also, if you turn that option off, the images will end up on your SSD unless you move the data location in the server configuration.

Saving the images and metadata in the media folders is not going to slow anything down.

oceanclub

Also, if you turn that option off, the images will end up on your SSD unless you move the data location in the server configuration.

Saving the images and metadata in the media folders is not going to slow anything down.

Ah, I suppose it can't do any harm. :) Is the purpose of turning the option off to allow people to keep their media folders clean of those files?

P.

Yes, that is the only reason.  Saving the data with the media makes everything more portable and can lighten the load on the free sites we use for data so I recommend it.

oceanclub

Yes, that is the only reason.  Saving the data with the media makes everything more portable and can lighten the load on the free sites we use for data so I recommend it.

Thanks; just another question, and I'm not sure if this a bug or working correctly.

My movies behave I expected; I deleted the metadata files from the media folders and forced a refresh, and now I can see the banners, etc, displayed correctly but no metadata files in the media folders

However, music is different. I deleted the metadata in the media folders, did a refresh, and the files in the media folder are now back.

P.

• 5 months later...
lionking15

Hi

I have over 4000 movies and would please like to know, if the metadata is saved I the same folder as the media does it speed up the process when scrolling through the movies in poster view ?

Thanks

Hi

I have over 4000 movies and would please like to know, if the metadata is saved I the same folder as the media does it speed up the process when scrolling through the movies in poster view ?

Thanks

There is probably zero impact in that regard. It just helps to prevent re-downloading in the future.

lionking15

Thank you for your quick response

If the poster is saved in the media folder, does it still retrieve it from the cache folder when u restart media browser, or does it then retrieve it from the media folder ?