Important info about the next server release

Luke

Although it is still probably a week away, (or more if we run into problems), I want to get this info out so that it can start spreading and you guys know about it up front.

The next server release will re-scan your library.

A lot of new metadata-related features have been added, and in order to accommodate them a re-scan is necessary. So please help in answering user questions if people ask why their scan is slow after the update. It's a one-time scan and then back to normal.

Here's a sneak peek at some of the changes:

• Finely grained control over metadata settings. Choose where your metadata comes from, prioritize internet fetchers, and choose what formats your metadata gets saved to.
  • Local metadata is king. If we see local metadata for an item, we will not go out to the internet. Period. This means as new features are added you may have to manually re-scan, but having predictability is better for everyone involved.
  • Bottom up scanning for music means all data is based off of the media files, e.g. embedded artwork comes first at the album level, and we can read musicbrainz id's from id3 tags, which @@steve1977 I'm sure will be happy with.
  • New audio fetcher added - TheAudioDB.com
  • New TV fetcher added - TheMovieDB.org (Currently only at the series level. No season or episode data yet, but it will come with time).
  • There's also a new nifty auto-organize feature for episodes that can monitor a download folder and move episodes to your series folder. It also includes the ability to manually correct when we can't determine the series it belongs to.
  • More user permissions - enable/disable live tv per user, as well as enable/disable any kind of media playback per user.
  • Path substitution features 
  • More improvements in regards to lowering cpu usage when transcoding
  • Like 18

:D  Great work!

I handle most of my Metadata with a scraper setup to support different MC and players. So most of the time I allready have meta data.

But when MB3 gets live TV support I wont have to use a scraper any more and can switch to only one system.  :wub:

We're going to have a pretty robust feature set now in regarding metadata, and the infrastructure is there to add a lot more features later, like choosing what fields come from what sources, creating jobs to do something like refresh all posters once a month. Lots of great reporting to see what's going on. I think it will eventually be second to none.

And the modular nature of it should create a whole new market for plugin developers to add more sources for inputs and outputs.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

It's sounding pretty awesome! I am looking forward to any updates that will lower the cpu usage further. It's the only area of MB3 I struggle with. 

Thanks to all you guys and your efforts!

trooper11

Great work guys, I have been waiting on migrating my music collection over to MB3, so these updates my be enough to push me to do that. 

Also, a lot of plug-ins are going to break and you won't be able to update them until after you update the server.  So, the best path will probably be to update the server, then immediately update your plug-ins and then re-start the server again.

One more word of warning You must be on MBC 129+ before updating to the next server release.  If you aren't you won't be able to get into MBC as it will tell you your password is invalid even if you don't have a password.

In which case, you'll need to reinstall MBC from the web installer.

You can also install from configurator if need be. That did it for me.

I'm curious to see how this handles anime episodes in the moving and renaming, anyone tried that yet?

It has not been tested, so at this point we don't really know.

Auto organise new TV shows is a cracking feature which could finally mean I can bin Mediacentre Master! Can't wait for this!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

zombieagain

Hi,

does the auto organize handle also the recorded TV folder from WMC by reading the metadata of the WTV files?

Thanks,

zombieagain

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how this handles anime episodes in the moving and renaming, anyone tried that yet?

Good day,

I have this setup as with my Animation collection.

What exactly the test you looking for?

My best

Lots of interest in the auto organise!

Just a thought but is it just for TV shows? Will movies or even music be added to its remit at a later date perhaps?

zombieagain

Hi, I just noticed in the first post the "override existing episodes" option. Can we also have an option to "override existing episodes if they have smaller file size?". It would help when a higher quality version of the episode is found or to avoid what happened to me  a couple of times in which the 3-minute replay of Sons of Anarchy replaced the full episode...

Hi, I just noticed in the first post the "override existing episodes" option. Can we also have an option to "override existing episodes if they have smaller file size?". It would help when a higher quality version of the episode is found or to avoid what happened to me  a couple of times in which the 3-minute replay of Sons of Anarchy replaced the full episode...

that's not really a good barometer of quality. web-dl's are higher quality than corresponding hdtv files, but are often 10-15% smaller due to better compression.

wraslor

Good day,

I have this setup as with my Animation collection.

What exactly the test you looking for?

My best

I was curious how it handles anime.  Does it auto detect, move, and rename?  How does it act with the naming convention of anime usually being xxx instead of SxxExx?  Do you have your anime setup as series/file.mkv   or series/season/file.mkv?  

Thanks

Logos302

Will the auto-organize remove the download from utorrent? or will a plugin for this be required? if it does then MCM will be gone.  

zombieagain

that's not really a good barometer of quality. web-dl's are higher quality than corresponding hdtv files, but are often 10-15% smaller due to better compression.

Good point...