To begin

Server Version 3.0.5135.31685 accessed via Chrome 32.0.1700.107

I have...

deselected "Download metadata from the internet"

& selected "Save metadata and images within media folders"

So...

The First Issue.

Head to a person, click on edit.

Enter/modify the value in Date of Birth.

Click Save.

This modifies the person.xml file for that person, except, the Date of Birth value is one day less. That is, if you enter a birthday of 2000-03-23, the xml file will have <BirthDate>2000-03-22</BirthDate> 

If you now click on the person's name to take you back to their info page, the correct date will show. I assume this is because it is being stored in the actual database correctly.

But if you click on edit again, the value in the Date of Birth field is the one in the person.xml file, i.e., one day less... 2000-03-22

Click on save again, and this time, the xml file will have 2000-03-21.

Repeat the loop of profile, edit, save, and each time the person's date of birth will shift backwards one day.

Or even worse... click Save, then Refresh Metadata, and you can watch the person age two days at a time.

The same thing is also happening with the Date Added, and Date of Death.

But it isn't just people...

The same thing seems to be happening wherever a date is being stored in an xml file. E.g., <PremiereDate> for a movie, <FirstAired> for a series or an episode.

The Second Issue.

Given that I prefer people to be ordered by their surname, and that I don't like the idea of going through and modifying via the web ui thousand and thousands of people. I threw together a crude script that would add the <SortTitle> field to the person.xml file, with the parts of the name in reverse order (which isn't correct for those with three part names, hence a crude script).

So, without using the web ui I would end up with a person.xml file like...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>

<Item>

<Added>29/01/2014 12:00:00 AM</Added>

<LockData>false</LockData>

<LocalTitle>Bob Smith</LocalTitle>

<SortTitle>smith, bob</SortTitle>

</Item>

...which is exactly what I would have got via the web ui, had I modified the Sort Name and clicked save.

Except there seems to be no way to get this new <SortTitle> to be read into the database. If I add to the xml file a <PlaceOfBirth> field and/or <TMDbId>, these get read in when Refresh Metadata is clicked. And they get updated on clicking Refresh Metadata if I've modified them directly in the xml file. But as I say, the <SortTitle> field is ignored if created or modified outside of the web ui.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on things.

Issue 1 looks like a bug related to the xml saver or web editor.  Looks like it is converting the time to UTC when it shouldn't.

Issue 2 I believe is known and fixed for the next server release.

Thanks for that. I shall look forward to the next release.

Edit:

Though it has been fun watching people age before my very eyes...

Edited by Kensey

Yup, both are fixed for the next release.

Do we have the option to sort order by First name / Last name then if that apply?