FR: Server - Logon times

Danee

Hello, will it be possible in the future to set allowed logon times for a user? For example; I want my kid to be able to use the server for a maximum time per day or only to be able to use the server during a timespan?

Thanks.

• Like 3

Yes, we have plans to provide greater control of user access at some point.  There was an old feature request for this but I think it is buried in the Server forum somewhere.

• Like 2

mboehler

I have requested it previously here.  I am definitely adding my support to this request.

Thanks!

Edited by mboehler
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
robertn78

Thanks Danee,

I was just going to request this.  In MB2 you could set Parental Control to automagically lock the library from choosing new movies at or above the set Parental Rating.  This would happen at a pre-determined amount of time.  Even when the library would lock, the current move / show would continue to run.  This would be helpful as my wife forgets to log the elevated user out in MB3.  My son continues to wake up in the middle of the night and sneaks to watch TV and I would like to make sure he is unable to get to PG and higher rated movies / shows.

Thank you,

Robertn78

Thanks Danee,

I was just going to request this.  In MB2 you could set Parental Control to automagically lock the library from choosing new movies at or above the set Parental Rating.  This would happen at a pre-determined amount of time.  Even when the library would lock, the current move / show would continue to run.  This would be helpful as my wife forgets to log the elevated user out in MB3.  My son continues to wake up in the middle of the night and sneaks to watch TV and I would like to make sure he is unable to get to PG and higher rated movies / shows.

Thank you,

Robertn78

That's actually a slightly different piece of functionality and would need to be implemented by the client as opposed to the server.  What client app are you using?

robertn78

I am using Web, Theater and Android.  Putting it in the Server side would make it available to all clients, right?

Having this only on the server would be not as graceful and potentially not effective.  What you are asking for is a time-out of a particular session.  What the original request was for is a total amount of time available to any user in a given period.  Related but not exactly the same.

In either case, the server could be where you define the restrictions but the clients would need to at least be aware of them to handle the situation more gracefully than simply failing because the server refused a request.