Slow progress of MBT?

jespermart

jespermart
I thought that MBT would be the next big thing, but to my surprise I see that the development of MBT is almost stalled while the Server & MBC is updated frequently, in 3 months, virtually nothing has been done with MBT, we still need to see support for external subtitles and madVR exclusive mode.

What kind of other priorities slows the progression of MBT down?

Starkadius

I appreciate your enthusiasm for MBT as do many in the community. We need to realize though that the server itself is the foundation to how all other clients including MBT will perform overall. Also even though there are other developers helping with the server and MBT, the primary developer of MBT is Luke and he also handles the server updates. It is a lot of work for a few developers let alone one person to take on all that load. We just need patience, it is all coming together piece by piece. Good things come to those who wait  :).

Edit:

If you look here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Theater/issues?page=1&state=closed you will see that there have been updates, mostly bug fixes which is really more important. Before we can have a billion new features, the bugs need to be ironed out. Also you can see there are other developers helping out too. Progress IS being made.

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 2

I think you don't want to the dev's to get bored Snazy ;)

But back on topic, I have seen updates and progress, think it depends on what you're looking at and waiting for.

• Like 2

jespermart

You could always help the course by trying to get devs on bored to help develop :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I would love to, but I don't know any, I'm just an impatient user ;)

If I knew how to code I would step right up to the plate and help with the development. Its on my list of career paths lol.

Koleckai Silvestri

What release schedule do you have MBT set to? On the dev track, I have seen a lot of progress. In fact MBT is my player of choice now. As the program is still considered Alpha quality the releases on the Release and Beta tracks are few and far between.

However builds are made. Follow the big MBT Alpha thread to get news. Switch to the Dev track, though it is often buggy, or reinstall from the web when they say a new build is available.

Edited by Wayne Luke

jespermart

What release schedule do you have MBT set to? On the dev track, I have seen a lot of progress. In fact MBT is my player of choice now. As the program is still considered Alpha quality the releases on the Release and Beta tracks are few and far between.

However builds are made. Follow the big MBT Alpha thread to get news. Switch to the Dev track, though it is often buggy, or reinstall from the web when they say a new build is available.

I'm on the dev track, and I don't see much progress.

Koleckai Silvestri

I guess it depends on what you mean by progress then. Half the open issues have been recently closed in the project.

What are you looking for towards progress?

If you look at the feature roadmap, you'll see many of the items on the list are large, and they are actively being worked on. You are not going to see those in little dev updates, they're just going to come by surprise when they're ready.

jespermart

You'll be wanting a refund next...  :P

I bought 4 plugins for MBS and 6 skins for MBC and also donated as Media Browser supporter, so I gladly pay for software, but I have not been asked for any donation in connection with the MBT. Had I been asked, I had donated.

I found MBS, MBC and MBT to be great programs I'm just a bit impatient, thats all

Edited by jespermart

Koleckai Silvestri

There is a saying that says "Good things come to those who wait". 

Now that Luke has help with Theater, I think it will fair better in the coming months.

Redshirt

For me MBT feels like it's progressing slowly because of all the features ebr is throwing into MBC. Although MBT is going to have it's day in the light too.

yardameus

A  lot of the things being done are also somewhat behind the scenes.  This isn't a mostly finished product that's being tweaked, it's still having the foundation laid. 

• 8 months later...
jespermart

Now it's almost 3/4 years ago that I made a thread about how slowly I seemed that the development goes with MBT, it is unfortunately not improved since then. At the present time pretty much no stuff works in MBT,

I cannot play videos with madVR and WASAPI without MBT crashes and preferred subtitle can't been displayed automatically I have to use the menu via * on my remote to access the subtitles.

At this time, I've had to give up to use MBT and started to use MBC instead because madVR and WASAPI via Reclock works and preferred subtitle will be shown automatically via the Lav filter. It seems as the development of MBT are stalled, although when MBS and MBT were launched MBT should be the star of the show together with MBS.

Instead it seems that the star of the show now has been MBC along with MBS although MBC was buried together with Windows 8 MCE when Windows 8 launched.

And I know I will be slaughtered for bringing This post, but I am very disappointed that a program like MBT which has a far greater potential than MBC unfortunately becomes candied developmentally

• Like 2

Have you seen the blog postings? MBT is being re-done to better serve for the long haul. Here is one of them:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-115-media-browser-theater-preview-2-home-screen-and-item-details/

It is seeing very active development, however, I don't think you realize the level of effort required for an HTPC app. This is not android or Roku where you get the video player and half the layout for free and only need to supply the content. This is something that requires every aspect to be built by us completely. So the pace of MBT's development is really just a reflection of how difficult it is, but I assure you, when the new version does come it's going to be pretty awesome.

• Like 1

griffen247

And I know I will be slaughtered for bringing This post

Let them slaughter 2 of this then, I've got ya back sunshine....

I told myself I was not going to post this, as it'll be taken as negative or spawn a raging debate over the use of the work around I used for my particular issue.... So readers (especially admin/developers), stick with me to the end, without losing your mind at the first comment you disagree with, and you'll see this will end in a positve vibe.... but there's going to be things said along the way.

I landed on Media Browser 2.0 after a stupid amount of testing other products out there. At that time XMBC was probably the standout, but once I found MB2 and got my head around it, the search was over.  I was convinced I had the best product for my needs.  My only criticism of MB2 was it ran inside Windows Media Center, which for me wasn't actually an issue as I'm an I.T person. However when putting my non-pc friends onto MB2 thier minds would melt down when finding themselves kicked out into WMC, not knowing what the hell it was. So I stopped giving MB2 to friends.

Then MB3 was announced after I had literally only been a MB2 user for a few months!  I held out moving over to MB3 for as long I could, because everytime I installed and tested, it was riddled with bugs and simply not a patch on MB2.  It was then announced MB2 was being officially shut down, at that everyone should now move to MB3 as it was pretty much stable though still under development.  I sent an email or PM regarding supporter keys, and within the reply back from one of the Admistrators was this statement:

"The main reason for MB3 is to not be dependent on Windows Media Center going forward''

Now I didn't reply, but I thought this was fantastic, as it was the biggest thing holding this product back.  So although still not happy with MB3, into I've gone with that statement in mind.....

Skip to a year later almost and it's clear that the majority of MB3 client users are still using classic inside god damn Windows Media Center...... Probably because of themes, but just as likely because of the lack of progress on MBT.

I can't use MBC due to problem that I'm not getting into here, so that means I'm in the MBT camp.  I've had major issues with it with the internal player being hugely problematic, so I've focused on the external player using MPC-HC (which I've used for years now without issue). Yes, to everyone in the VLC camp, I know it's good, but again I problem I won't go into means I won't use it.

I've had major issues getting a stable video output, with the final straw being the only filter that was stable, would not work with the 'Force close player on stop button' leaving me stranded, unable to get back to MBT and having to Task Manager end MPC player just to get it closed.

Then I had cunning plan.... which in theory shouldn't work, but it does.  By default madVR is a listed DirectShow Video filter but is **unavailble** and can't be seletcted.  So, I simply took a copy of the madVR folder from 'COMObjects' within MBT and placed it inside the MPC-HC folder, which now gave me access to load madVR as an External Filter.  After a few setting tweaks I'm now using MPC-HC with the madVR filter, and MBT is running perfectly.  The subtitles aren't working but that is a minor fix to address later.

So, for anyone still reading, here is my feedback.

MBT at this stage of the game should be fully functional. Now it's taken me some major work and time to get it working for my setup, and I'm glad I hung in there.

I have a library of about 7TB in size with roughly 2000 Movies, 300 complete TV Shows, & 2000 other videos in assorted genres.  The load time of the library, the speed of browsing, playback lauch, the fantastic GUI that is simple without being too flashy, are all features the Developers should be taking a bow over. Just awesome......

So it really begs the question. MB3 wanted to be free of Windows Media Center. MB3 wants to be user friendly so everyone can use it without having to be PC minded. So why is MBT not to where it should be in development?  What is the future for MBT? Because in my opinion yes streaming to devices is all wonderful, dlna is hit & miss for quality depending on end users devices, but MBT could be the solution for everyone.  Personally I can happily live without themes and add-ons, but I realise the members who love it won't part with it so have 2 versions of MBT, 1 with a theme options and the 1 simple GUI you have now.

Honestly guys.... as it stands right now, this member is a very happy user of MBT. It is fantastic when working correctly, I totally understand the level of work that needs to go into an HTPC platform & fully appreciate that this is not licensed, I just would have liked to have got here a lot easier and faster!!

Edited by griffen247
  • Like 3

griffen247

Have you seen the blog postings? MBT is being re-done to better serve for the long haul. Here is one of them:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-115-media-browser-theater-preview-2-home-screen-and-item-details/

It is seeing very active development, however, I don't think you realize the level of effort required for an HTPC app. This is not android or Roku where you get the video player and half the layout for free and only need to supply the content. This is something that requires every aspect to be built by us completely. So the pace of MBT's development is really just a reflection of how difficult it is, but I assure you, when the new version does come it's going to be pretty awesome.

Sorry Luke, my post above was made before I saw your comment quoted above..... That's great news, but to further make my point.  Get MBT running 100% stable then put a god damn fence around it, done, it's user friendly and a killer HTPC platform that should stay that way.  But please don't turn it into XMBC with a bunch of crapplets.  Having this MBT and an MBT Premium version with all the new stuff you mention will get you the bigger market share.

Just some friendly advice.....

Edited by griffen247

There are issues I have brought up months and months ago that are minor but if fixed, would tell me and others that progress is getting done. I know MBT has been getting worked on, I can see it but I don't really post little issues anymore since they don't really get taken care of. I wish Server would just go on a feature freeze. Stop adding new features and get MBT, where it should be or at least closer so my HTPC becomes a HTPC instead of a BETA testing machine. I really hate XBMC and all other HTPC front ends..MBT is the only one I like and im stuck waiting while Server and MBC is going nuts on features and bug fixes

• Like 4