Slow progress of MBT?

jespermart

griffen247

Totally agree with that...... My concern now is it's taken months to get to what I consider the perfect MBS and MBT frontend, and I'll bet dollars to donuts an update to either will break it in some frustrating way.

Putting a feature freeze & final release build on MBS would be good idea.  I've persevered with this cause there is no other alternative as good.  I can't be bothered with xbmc, 'Keep It Simple Stupid' is a saying for a good reason, and xbmc screwed the pooch with that chance in my opinion. 

I just want to use mine now & show it off!!

Edited by griffen247

im85288

Hmm so if I am reading correctly MBT is described as a killer platform for HTPC...what Operating System(s) does it actually run on? I read that XBMC (Kodi) is apparently too difficult to set up? Have you given OpenElec a shot...? Runs on nearly every OS and very lightweight. 

saitoh183

I agree that Mbt need to be released but I don't mind waiting if that means it won't be like the current version. The new version needs to be just as good as mbs and just as feature complete. For now the alternatives will have to do. But I do agree that mbs needs to be frozen and more time put on Mbt. Because it feels like for every new mbs feature, Mbt will need to support that new feature. Mbs only focus should be bug fixes.

• Like 1

Beardyname

Hmm so if I am reading correctly MBT is described as a killer platform for HTPC...what Operating System(s) does it actually run on? I read that XBMC (Kodi) is apparently too difficult to set up? Have you given OpenElec a shot...? Runs on nearly every OS and very lightweight. 

I "feel" that what the author most likely wants to see is for MB to go into sort of a feature freeze for the stable versions and let the other apps catch up to that, (MBT for the most part in this case). And while i do agree that freezing different branches is a good idea i personally would like to see MBS steamrolling ahead, otherwise it will be harder to fix things later on with more stuff to break. Anyway it's not really up to me or anyone else ^^ I for one will have fun continuing crashing my server/MBT on the dev branch and provide whatever feedback i can to help the devs out!

jluce50

Guys, I don't think it's as simple as freezing development on MBS and other clients to focus on MBT. MBT is developed using C#/WPF (IIRC), which is a pretty specific skillset, so they can't just have their Android developer stop and work on MBT, for example. Freezing MBS or any of the clients most likely wouldn't do much for MBT's progress. It might be of some benefit for MBT to not have to "keep up" with new features in MBS, but I don't think that's a large part of the workload at this point. From what I've read, the majority of the workload just comes from the fact that they're creating a large, complex, feature rich application from scratch. The thing that would probably help more than anything is to find some more WPF developers to join the team.

• Like 5

Beardyname

Guys, I don't think it's as simple as freezing development on MBS and other clients to focus on MBT. MBT is developed using C#/WPF (IIRC), which is a pretty specific skillset, so they can't just have their Android developer stop and work on MBT, for example. Freezing MBS or any of the clients most likely wouldn't do much for MBT's progress. It might be of some benefit for MBT to not have to "keep up" with new features in MBS, but I don't think that's a large part of the workload at this point. From what I've read, the majority of the workload just comes from the fact that they're creating a large, complex, feature rich application from scratch. The thing that would probably help more than anything is to find some more WPF developers to join the team.

I would bet this is totally it :)

• Like 2

blublub

I would bet this is totally it :)

Correct. Just look how long it took Mediaportal to be a "finished" product.

taptalked

Well the other apps such as android and samsung tv all other cool little apps can keep developing since those  are specific developers but MBS is really good where it is in terms of features. For now, just fix the bugs other wise there will be such a huge list of bugs your not fixing it will take ages to fix em. I say "feature" freeze MBS. Create bug fixes for MBS and MBC but start fixing bugs and get MBT caught up. I know MBT is way different than any other product in the MB line, but it will continue to get negative feedback as it seem to get almost every week, just because these bugs that have been reported numerous times, don't get fixed. Now if they said, screw it....lets put all the bug fixes into the new version of MBT and it will be greater and better, than fine...but until then, my HTPC is useless in terms of a useful front end.

I can't thank the developers enough for MBT and MBS and everything else especially for a FREE app. Because its free I feel bad to complain about it. I can hear the Devs now, (Dude its free shut up) haha. ...but a "little" more concentration on MBT would go a long way.

Lawrage

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I am very happy with the progress of MBT. Sure there are things that I would love improved, there have been a log of bugs and errors along the way and yes i'd love to be able to make it look the way I want... but at the end of the day its a great product.

I have used MBC, XBMC, Media Portal and even Plex over the last 5 or so years and in my humble opinion it already is one of the best UI's out there.

Keep up the excellent work  :)

• Like 2

I started a poll recently in a similar vein - frustration over how long MBT is taking to get it to some state of completeness.

In the meantime I've given up waiting. Instead I created a skin for XBMC, which I am reasonably happy with for the time being. However, I fully intend to come back to MB when MBT's matured (say two or three years time?! ;-) 

Seriously though, I think the frustration is that it has so much going for it - maybe accidentally, but there's a continuity and slickness to the design that gives it the look and feel of a professional product with brand identity. IMO none of the xbmc or plex skins achieve this (and yes, I've pretty much tried them all!) there's almost something amateurish about them that's absent from MBT.

Deathsquirrel

Guys you've been told they're focusing on rearchitecting this tool.  Bugs clearly aren't their primary focus right now.  I get that that may not be what you want to hear, but everyone on this project has been very upfront about it.

This client works well for lots of us, I'm sure.  I don't have any significant issues.  That doesn't invalidate your experience of course but it does mean that the app isn't unusable by the general public.

Patience.  Use a different client if you like.  Continue to report issues and they will certainly get looked at as their priority and available resources dictate.

shaefurr

Why only work on bugs? There's multiple developers working on clients for multiple platforms. With every new MBS feature every client can improve as well. MBT is only one, but it will get there too, just give it some time, its been said already its getting a significant architectural re-write.

In case you haven't seen it here's the blog posts

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-75-media-browser-theater-preview-1-the-item-list/

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-115-media-browser-theater-preview-2-home-screen-and-item-details/

Also keep in mind these developers aren't making a living off MB, they have jobs too. And only have so much time to get this stuff done.

Edited by shaefurr

I've just got back from vacation, and I'm planning on finishing off the playback OSD and playlist management in the new branch. I'm thinking of doing some kind of release for the new branch once that is done, but it'll require some thought on how to approach that - as it still won't quite be feature complete with the current release. I don't want to drop it on people who are following the developer releases, but aren't keeping up with the news. e.g. none of the plugins (like game browser) will have been updated, and there is no settings GUI yet (you'll need to edit the config xml or stick to defaults).

Beardyname

I've just got back from vacation, and I'm planning on finishing off the playback OSD and playlist management in the new branch. I'm thinking of doing some kind of release for the new branch once that is done, but it'll require some thought on how to approach that - as it still won't quite be feature complete with the current release. I don't want to drop it on people who are following the developer releases, but aren't keeping up with the news. e.g. none of the plugins (like game browser) will have been updated, and there is no settings GUI yet (you'll need to edit the config xml or stick to defaults).

Take your time Aphid :) we are all here for the long run, no sense in overworking yourself! (also I won't mind playing with it and having stuff crashing to left and right but If you don't think we can provide useful feedback then wait)

You could possibly release a MBT2 Alpha, or something like that. That way it would stay separate from others that are enjoying the current branch of MBT. Until there is a (somewhat) stable release of the new branch that is more feature complete, I'd imagine there would be a lot of users that would rather it stay as a separate app. (But at the same time, I would think the majority of us would like a chance to try out the new branch)

Personally, I use the current branch of MBT for 99% of my MB3 usage, and plan to continue doing so. I'd be interested in testing out the new branch and offering my opinions/insight on it, but would like to be able to keep it as a separate installation from the current branch until it is as stable as the current MBT is on my system.

I think it will get better once @@Aphid branch in merged into the main branch, this will allow other devs to start helping out again and perhaps then it will feel like there is more movement on the project.

I am really not happy with the keyboard control of the playback interface, I feel that the whole interface should be easily navigated with a very simple arrow, enter and back button on the keyboard including the media playback interface. This allows much easier control using a variety of remote controls and input devices. This is probably something I would look at when the main branch is live again.

Even though he has not merged yet you can still participate. With you and him together that would be a dream team as far as I'm concerned. Plus you might not be alone as there are a few others interested.

jluce50

It would be great if we could install, say, the alpha/dev and the beta branch along side each other. I like tinkering with the bleeding edge stuff when it's just me but I'd like to be able to run something more stable when watching with the family or whatever.

It would be great if we could install, say, the alpha/dev and the beta branch along side each other. I like tinkering with the bleeding edge stuff when it's just me but I'd like to be able to run something more stable when watching with the family or whatever.

MBT installs per-user so you could setup different Windows users and accomplish this.

• Like 3

Xzener

So many awesome features were ideas of the alpha testers. MBT wouldn't be what it is today without them. As soon as it's ready... I'm sure we can rise to the occasion, and make MBT "THE" goto front end must have.

• Like 2

Glyde62

Main feature I am waiting for ifs for it to automatically jump to first un watched episode

Annoying when watching a show with dozens of episodes

Sent from the secret room in the back of your closet

• Like 3

I left MBT long ago, in fact this forum because of slow development. Preserved, MBT looks great, but ... that's not all. The fact that the internal player does not support madVR functions and settings, make MediaBrowser Theater useless for me. Over the past 12 months I have regularly looked for this support, but nothing has changed ... I will surely come back, but I am no longer as keen.

Della Dog

I left MBT long ago, in fact this forum because of slow development. Preserved, MBT looks great, but ... that's not all. The fact that the internal player does not support madVR functions and settings, make MediaBrowser Theater useless for me. Over the past 12 months I have regularly looked for this support, but nothing has changed ... I will surely come back, but I am no longer as keen.

May I ask what you are using instead? Do you use the server?

Thanks

Edited by Della Dog

saitoh183

May I ask what you are using instead? Do you use the server?

Thanks

I use xbmb3c for now till MBT sees the light of day

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I've stopped using the flagship Windows client known as Theater. The Web App is more stable and has more functionality. I see no reason to even have Theater installed these days.