Auto Box Set: Hide movies after boxset created and show boxsets in all views?

A8HTPC

A8HTPC

I just started using auto boxset. Seems to work nicely in finding all the movies in the set. I have the boxsets being created in their own boxset folder which I have added to the media library locations in MBS

So I have DVD movies in their own DVD Folder and BluRay movies in their own BluRay Folder.

Example..

E:\DVD

E:\BluRay

E:\BoxSets

When I add everything to the media library, I have BluRay (Inc. BluRay Folder and Boxsets Folder) and DVD (Inc. DVD Folder and Boxsets Folder)

Issue 1: All Movies view, no box sets visible

Issue 2: Under Folders Tab, I have DVD and BluRay movies separated. When I click on Bluray or DVD, I see all the individual movies which have been included in the boxsets as well as the BoxSets.

Any way to remedy the issues?

A8HTPC

Thanks, I just read up in that thread.

Sugestions 1 & 2 are for Ebr and 3 is for Luke

Suggestion 1: What if you made the plugin create collection folders in the root library where all the movie folders are listed, then move the movies into the correct collection folders. Personally this would not work for me since I have separate folders for blu ray and dvds and some collections are made up between the two locations. I think most people have one movie folder though?

Suggestion 2: Since the plugin is at the server level, have the plugin move all the movies which are considered to be part of collection box sets to a completely separate folder outside of MBS library monitor then have the plugin create collection folders in the root library folder (MBS Monitored) based on the movies it has moved into the unmonitored collection folder. After it creates the folders, it can then create MBlink shortcuts in the collection folders to those movies in the unmonitored collection folder. This would work for me as well as most I would think. Both my DVD and BluRay side would have all the collections and MBS would use the MBLink collections just like they were actual movies. MBS would not include the individual movies outside of the collections and the collections should be seen in every view.

Example:

(All Movies - Monitored by MBS)

E:\Movies\Die Hard Legacy Collection [boxset]\Live Free of Die Hard - Shortcut.MBLink (Linked to below)

E:\Movies\Lord of the Rings Collection [boxset]\Lord of the rings 1 - Shortcut.MBLink (Linked to Below)

(Actual Movies in collections - Not Monitored by MBS)

E:\AutoBoxSet\Live Free or Die Hard.MKV

E:\AutoBoxSet\Die Hard.MKV

E:\AutoBoxSet\Die Hard 2.MKV

E:\AutoBoxSet\Lord of the rings 1.mkv

E:\AutoBoxSet\Etc......

It would be nice to not have to move the physical files as this can take time if its on a network storage since Windows will pull everything to the PC from the NAS and then back to the NAS in the correct folder...very slow process. At least that's my experience.

Suggestion 3: More for Luke on the MBS side of things... instead of moving physical movies, why not MBS create an entire lirbrary of shortcuts to all the main movies and Auto Box Sets can easily do the number 2 suggestion without moving Gigabytes or Terabytes of movies around.

Edited by A8HTPC

As I said in the post I linked you to, I feel physically re-structuring your content is simply too dangerous.  One wrong move and we could delete an entire chunk of your library.

This is going to take a coordination of some sort between the server, the plug-in and all of the clients to get it to do what you are asking.

A8HTPC

suggestion 3 follows your concern which has MBS create an entire library of shortcuts MB can fool with. MBS would always look to the shortcut vs the actual movie which would create a safe way of restructuring the library without touching the actual movie files. MBS and Auto Box Set would only be Rearranging, deleting and creating shortcuts.

With the next server release you'll be able to create collections from the web client. While shortcuts will still be supported they will no longer be the preferred way. Using the web client you'll be able to add and remove titles just by checking a box.

531c8e58eaa8e_Untitled.png

A8HTPC

When you create collections through the web client will this be effectively seen in MBT as well? Im assuming it will be.

Edited by A8HTPC

saitoh183

I think the problem with the boxset addon was that it doesnt show the boxset in the actual movie view...you have to add the boxset folder to the library so you can see it in MBC. If it would do that, there would be no need to have it move the physical items.

I think the problem with the boxset addon was that it doesnt show the boxset in the actual movie view...you have to add the boxset folder to the library so you can see it in MBC. If it would do that, there would be no need to have it move the physical items.

No, that would not alleviate this issue.  You would still see the movies in question twice.

The new method of creating box sets doesn't really alleviate this issue either.  The clients would have to change the way they display things or you will still see the movies in question twice.

saitoh183

Couldnt you put something in place that would hide the movie from the listing once it has bee placed in a set so we wouldnt see doubles?As it stands now boxset plugin seems a bit useless comapred to doing it manually which makes the box set show up in your default movie view.

Couldnt you put something in place that would hide the movie from the listing once it has bee placed in a set so we wouldnt see doubles?

The clients would have to change the way they display things or you will still see the movies in question twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the coordination of server, plug-in and clients I mentioned would be needed is starting to take shape.

1. The new server (now in beta) includes a new capability to create collections manually which also means there is a new way for them to be created automatically
  2. I just released a new beta of the Auto Box Sets plug-in that uses this new facility
  3. The server API now also supports the automatic "collapsing" of movies into box sets when retrieving them
  4. The next version of MBC will take advantage of this new capability:

532866bdcf1d2_collapsembc.png

All of that put together means I think you will have almost the perfect setup for automatic box set management.  You install the plug-in and turn on that option (which should be available in other clients soon as well) and you get all your movies automatically rolled into collections.

I say almost only because I'm sure there will be a portion of users for which this still falls a little short.  

• First, this new group of collections is automatically created by the server and, while this is nice, it means it is global.  You don't get different collections for different users.  You can still use parental controls to tailor what is seen by each user and you can still turn on or off the visibility of the entire "Collections" media folder for users.  You just can't have completely different Collections folders for each user
  • Second, when you are automatically collapsing your movies into collections, you will see the entire collection.  So, if for instance, you had two of the movies in one media folder and one in another, you will see the entire collection with all the contents in both of those media folders when using MBC's folder-based browsing.

Even with these minor limitations, I think this new setup will meet the needs of the vast majority of users and be a much easier and better setup than what we had in the past with shortcut files and all the configuration necessary.

• Like 1

saitoh183

for your second point, this means we dont have to move all the media under a collection folder anymore? because i think that is the most annoying thing when you have movie download and renaming and moving in place.

for your second point, this means we dont have to move all the media under a collection folder anymore? because i think that is the most annoying thing when you have movie download and renaming and moving in place.

That is correct.  The physical location of the media will not matter.  We will automatically determine to which set it belongs and can show you that set in place of the movies in the client views.

gcw07

Curious how is the auto-collapse different from what it was already doing in the folder based views? Isn't it the exact same thing that was done already. I thought that "feature" was just for the "movie" view and not the folder based ones.

gcw07

Okay.  But I do agree with you.  This auto collapse thing should be optional and I even think on a per-client basis.

I  may even do it on a per-folder basis in MBC because people may want them collapsed in certain views but not others.

Yeah. I think I'm not going to see any change in my view because I setup folders and I think that is where I was confused because it had always been that look for me.

I would definitely like to see it per client. It is again something I would love to see all spread out on the server, but maybe on a client it would be collapsed.

saitoh183

That is correct.  The physical location of the media will not matter.  We will automatically determine to which set it belongs and can show you that set in place of the movies in the client views.

Great news, i thought that AutoBox was going to be obsolete because of the new feature :)...I hope The mediaportal addon will be able to handle this change :). Do we still need to create a Boxset folder and add it our library as a "collection" type

Do we still need to create a Boxset folder and add it our library as a "collection" type

No.  The plug-in description entry for Auto Box Sets explains how it works now.

Curious how is the auto-collapse different from what it was already doing in the folder based views? Isn't it the exact same thing that was done already. I thought that "feature" was just for the "movie" view and not the folder based ones.

I'm not sure what you were doing with folder-based browsing before but I doubt this will be equivalent.

Luke suggested we only use this feature in type-based views because of one of the issues I pointed out - you will get the whole box set contents regardless of its physical location.

However, MBC has pretty much only folder-based views so to support the feature at all, it needs to be implemented there.

gcw07

I'm not sure what you were doing with folder-based browsing before but I doubt this will be equivalent.

Luke suggested we only use this feature in type-based views because of one of the issues I pointed out - you will get the whole box set contents regardless of its physical location.

However, MBC has pretty much only folder-based views so to support the feature at all, it needs to be implemented there.

Yeah I guess I just don't understand what this new flag does. Like right now if you go into a media folder view (say HD Movies) it lists all the movies, but my boxsets are collapsed (ex. It shows only a single entry for my James Bond Collection instead of all the James Bond movies broken out). Just don't see how it is doing anything different but for the "movie" view. Though like you said, MBC only does folder based views so wasn't sure how it would be any different at all.

Actually going forward in the dev build the param is not needed anymore, except for MBC. So you don't even have to bother setting it.

gcw07

Actually going forward in the dev build the param is not needed anymore, except for MBC. So you don't even have to bother setting it.

Yeah but without a way to turn it off, it will be a very annoying "feature". It is like the missing episodes stuff. Some will like and some will hate it.

@@ebr Just an FYI:

I'm reading this topic and want to try the new beta of the plugin, but the auto update is not working. My installed version is 0.0.1.2 and I've tried all update levels, but none show a newer version.

If I go to the plugin catalog I do find the newer 0.0.2.0 version so I installed it manualy.

We deliberately delay the auto update process so that everyone isn't hitting us all at once.

• Like 1

Danee

@@ebr Just an FYI:

I'm reading this topic and want to try the new beta of the plugin, but the auto update is not working. My installed version is 0.0.1.2 and I've tried all update levels, but none show a newer version.

If I go to the plugin catalog I do find the newer 0.0.2.0 version so I installed it manualy.

Yeah but without a way to turn it off, it will be a very annoying "feature". It is like the missing episodes stuff. Some will like and some will hate it.

I agree - I think this is something that people won't always want to happen so it should be an option.