Open url for ios app?

Ghostm

Ghostm

Is their a url so those of us can open this app from 3rd party apps such as irule, or roomie remote? If not i will have to open something in the request forum.

And if it is possible could you let us know what the url is?

• Like 1

foghat

I don't know the answer to this, but I am wondering on what you are thinking in regards to Roomie.

Ghostm

Well open url is not necessarily just for roomie, many irule people use it as well, and perhaps applications completely outside those i have listed.

It basically lets you launch an app from inside another app...

The use case on roomie is to launch an activity (turn on tv, turn on avr, switch inputs, ect...) and auto open media browser 3 app.

I requested it for xbmc ios app and it got alot of support and i see they just added it, except i no longer use xbmc, i use mb3. They wrote the following on that forum.

"It's super easy to do - all that's needed is an entry in the Info.plist file

URL types > Item 0 > URL Schemes > Item 0 > officialxbmcremote"

You can read about open url and how it allows inter app communication.

http://handleopenurl.com/

Itunes for instance has this capability, pandora, ect...  

Edited by Ghostm

foghat

Thanks.

I understood what you were asking for and what would happen (auto launch of MB Mobile), but I guess I am not understanding why you would want to do this - at least as part of activity.

The MB Mobile remote cannot, as far as I can tell, be  used to navigate MBT/MBC - so you'd need to switch back to roomie to actually find something to watch.  Are you thinking you'd use this in chromecast/airplay type situations?

Koleckai Silvestri

@@darwindeeds would know if a scheme already exists. 

If now, then the Media Browser iOS app would need to create a URL scheme that other apps could call. It isn't a give. For example with itunes the URL is something like itms://itunes.apple.com/appid...

https://developer.apple.com/library/IOs/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007899

If this hasn't been coded, it would need to be added.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1

Ghostm

Thanks.

I understood what you were asking for and what would happen (auto launch of MB Mobile), but I guess I am not understanding why you would want to do this - at least as part of activity.

The MB Mobile remote cannot, as far as I can tell, be  used to navigate MBT/MBC - so you'd need to switch back to roomie to actually find something to watch.  Are you thinking you'd use this in chromecast/airplay type situations?

I am upgrading from my 3gs to a 5s this week i just have not had time. Is it not possible to browse your library and play items to mbt with this app? Im using redshirts android app and while their is no navigation for mbt in that app yet, i can still browse my library and play media to mbt, its still very functional and nice to use. I can select subtitle streams, i can browse my library with nice cover art, i can play it to mbt or whatever device i want. I just assume if that functionality is not possible with this app yet, its coming any day now. Darwin stated an update is coming soon.

Also the navigation api for mbt is coming so that will also be a mute point. I assume and hope once its available the ios app will support mbt navigation.

Generally i find dedicated apps are still nicer to use and more powerful at doing things then a 3rd party app trying to support it. 

So basically  an activity would turn on my tv, switch inputs, turn on the avr, set the volume, and then it would auto open into the mb3 app. From their (unless again this functionality does not exist, im upgrading my phone this week as it currently doesnt work on a 3gs) i could then use the mb3 app to browse my library and launch media to mbt, and play pause stop, movies ect... And when navigation api comes to mbt, it will even be more useful. 

And yes chromecast feature is another area you could do things from the dedicated app that will not be possible with a 3rd party app, at least not right now.  Its just a way to integrate great apps into universal remote solutions for ios. 

Edited by Ghostm

Koleckai Silvestri

I can browse my library using MediaBrowser iOS and cast it to the web client. It doesn't show MBT even if it is running. Not sure why it doesn't though. 

I can also use the web client to then send it to MBT. ;)

foghat

I am upgrading from my 3gs to a 5s this week i just have not had time. Is it not possible to browse your library and play items to mbt with this app? Im using redshirts android app and while their is no navigation for mbt in that app yet, i can still browse my library and play media to mbt, its still very functional and nice to use. I can select subtitle streams, i can browse my library with nice cover art, i can play it to mbt or whatever device i want. I just assume if that functionality is not possible with this app yet, its coming any day now. Darwin stated an update is coming soon.

Also the navigation api for mbt is coming so that will also be a mute point. I assume and hope once its available the ios app will support mbt navigation.

Generally i find dedicated apps are still nicer to use and more powerful at doing things then a 3rd party app trying to support it. 

So basically  an activity would turn on my tv, switch inputs, turn on the avr, set the volume, and then it would auto open into the mb3 app. From their (unless again this functionality does not exist, im upgrading my phone this week as it currently doesnt work on a 3gs) i could then use the mb3 app to browse my library and launch media to mbt, and play pause stop, movies ect... And when navigation api comes to mbt, it will even be more useful. 

And yes chromecast feature is another area you could do things from the dedicated app that will not be possible with a 3rd party app, at least not right now.  Its just a way to integrate great apps into universal remote solutions for ios. 

Fair enough.  You cannot do this yet.  Not sure if MBT 'control' and 'cast' is coming.  Either way, not sure I would use it even if could launch it from Roomie. Would lose ability to control my AVR volume and would have to manually switch back to roomie to shut everything down.  Though it would be nice to have a complete set of MBT commands without configuring anything.

It would be nice to see the movie duration/time remaining and cover art while watching movie though - as you noted in the other thread Roomie can do this if the implement MBT on their end.  I'd love to see this.

Ghostm

Fair enough.  You cannot do this yet.  Not sure if MBT 'control' and 'cast' is coming.  Either way, not sure I would use it even if could launch it from Roomie. Would lose ability to control my AVR volume and would have to manually switch back to roomie to shut everything down.  Though it would be nice to have a complete set of MBT commands without configuring anything.

It would be nice to see the movie duration/time remaining and cover art while watching movie though - as you noted in the other thread Roomie can do this if the implement MBT on their end.  I'd love to see this.

Yup, some people might want to use it, some people might not. 

The other thing I like to do is create an app button in my activities so that i can press that button and bring up the dedicated app if needed. Not everyone might want to do this, its just nice to have. Especially for advanced functionality dedicated apps have access to that 3rd party programs like roomie do not support. 

Roomie pretty much supports all xbmc features for example, but sometimes the xbmc app is nicer to use, and supports features such as party mode for music i cannot find in roomie, or addons/plugins ect...., so adding an app button to call it up when needed is nice. Im switched over to mb3 fully, but their will be times i need to call up the app to do certain things, such as chromecast like you mentioned. 

Edited by Ghostm

• 4 months later...
Bentson

in iRule I can create a link to open external apps such as

Facebook: url [fb://requests]

1Password: url [onepassword4://search/handleopenurl.com]

Mobile Mouse: url [mobilemouse://]

Sonos controller: url [sonos://]

xfinity TV remote app: url [xfinitytv://]

it allows control of devices I can't directly control within iRule (without purchasing additional functionality)

If I could open the MB iOS app with an url within iRule the Wife Acceptance Factor would skyrocket

• Like 1

Bentson

I came across this site regarding adding an url to the code so MB could be opened from within iRule (or any other App, email from MB, etc)

http://www.absoluteripple.com/1/post/2012/02/using-custom-url-scheme-to-launch-application.html

I don't claim to be a programmer but it looks pretty easy to add this basic ability to the application.

Addition options this might open to programmers went rapidly over my head. ;)

Any admin / programmers?

http://www.iruleathome.com/tutorials/launching-apps-ios

Link to iRule's tutorial.  It is very easy to add the ability to open external apps once the Url scheme has been established.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bentson

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...