Archive - Samsung Smart TV App - Public Alpha Test

chessdragon136

maximumentropy

Sorry if this is a dumb question.  Once I log in to the app, is it possible to log out and "forget" the password?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Once I log in to the app, is it possible to log out and "forget" the password?

I think that's not supported in the current version.

DaN

chessdragon136

Ok the wait is finally over - v0.500 is here and is a major design milestone. Some elements still need tweaking but it is mostly there now and I need a break!

You must uninstall the previous version before installing this one

Special thanks to @@c0m3r for design input!

Changelog

Complete overhaul of the GUI

Added: Support for upcoming security authentication

Added: Home & Logout options in the Main Menu

Removed: Portrait mode & Experimental Settings

Disabled: Music

Images

53f39c9addc70_Home.png

53f39cb9bfaa5_MainMenu.png

53f39ccb94a89_Folders.png

53f39ce178132_TVShowPage.png

53f39ced0edd4_TVSeasonsPage.png

53f39cf6d22b8_TVEpisodePage.png

53f39d0491c1d_FilmPage.png

53f39d136a5e9_TVFilmView.png

• Like 9

CBers

Looks good.

Will update when get home later.

I'll test the token authentication as well and report back.

Well done @@chessdragon136 and @@c0m3r.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 2

Well done on getting this out there. Think the right decisions were made and is ready for all the added functionality now.  ;)

@@chessdragon136 just had a quick play and noticed a couple of things. In the menu, the username is yours instead of mine. Also, the selected item on the top menu is red instead of green. Was that intentional as seems to jar the eyes a little bit when moving up to it? And on the episode page I think it would be nice to see the thumbnail pic somewhere on there. I'm guessing you didnt include it as you thought it might take up too much space on the bottom of the screen?

Finally, when I changed the home page to show recently added TV it also showed me recently added photos? 

Other than that, looks great and seems to work much quicker as well.

chessdragon136

@@chessdragon136 just had a quick play and noticed a couple of things. In the menu, the username is yours instead of mine. Also, the selected item on the top menu is red instead of green. Was that intentional as seems to jar the eyes a little bit when moving up to it? And on the episode page I think it would be nice to see the thumbnail pic somewhere on there. I'm guessing you didnt include it as you thought it might take up too much space on the bottom of the screen?

Finally, when I changed the home page to show recently added TV it also showed me recently added photos? 

Other than that, looks great and seems to work much quicker as well.

0.500a released

Haha I knew I forgot something - Just coded in to fix the username issue

Changed the selection to green - not sure if it stands out enough - let me know (menu is still red)

Episode page - yeah its a space issue - portrait poster is ok for films but landscape thumb isn't 

Recent TV - Try now?

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 2

0.500a released

Haha I knew I forgot something - Just coded in to fix the username issue

Changed the selection to green - not sure if it stands out enough - let me know (menu is still red)

Episode page - yeah its a space issue - portrait poster is ok for films but landscape thumb isn't 

Recent TV - thats odd will look into it

You had to know there would be something small missing after all that work  :lol:

Menu in red is probably good. Sets it apart a little I think. Will have a look at the top bar now and report back.

Will have a play with some ideas about the thumb. Looks a little strange without it dont you think?

chessdragon136

v0.500a may fix the latest tv issue too - update anytime after now :)

And I just couldn't make it work with it..  

And I got to a point where I need people testing all these new GUI changes before I carry on

• Like 1

Seems to fix all the issues to me. Green top bar doesn't stand out as much but think its enough? See what everyone else thinks.

Yep understand the reasons. If it cant be done then it cant be done. Just a thought  :P

CBers

Just updated (didn't uninstall first).

Looks very nice, but not sure about the random backdrop on the home screen. Perhaps it should be the backdrop to the item highlighted, plus it needs to be more faded (opaque?), if that's possible.

Also, can we have black & white icons on the details page for movie type, encoding, AspectRatio etc, instead of the multi-coloured ones please (personal choice).

Rather than having a menu at the top still, can't we just use the Tools button to open the left-hand menu?

Other than that, looks very good.

And it plays videos too ;)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

crashkelly

v0.500a may fix the latest tv issue too - update anytime after now :)

And I just couldn't make it work with it..  

And I got to a point where I need people testing all these new GUI changes before I carry on

Hey @@chessdragon136

Just downloaded this for the first time and so far it looks awesome, thank you for all the work.

One comment I do have, and this could be just me, is that I have a Samsung PN51F5500 that I just bought a week ago and it has one of those touch screen type remotes and it was an absolute nightmare to get my password in. I ended up changing my password to something voice control could understand and did get that in after a few tries.

I am sure the later has nothing to do with you and is just the way it is.

After getting into the app it is really nice and plays titles perfectly so far, I was getting a lot of pixelization from transcoding.

Thank you again for the work, it is appreciated.

Cheers

CrashKelly

EDIT: In the release post for this version, post #803, the second image show a menu bar on the left. For the life of me I cannot get that to show. Is it a specific key?

Thanks again

EDIT 2: Never mind about the menu bar. Got to it using the "Tools" button from the on-screen remote

Edited by crashkelly

FrostByte

That's funny.  I just loaded the app on my F series tv for the first time too and thought entering the password was absolute hell.  Almost threw the remote through the tv.  The app itself rocks though.

• Like 1

CBers

The 'Aired Date' is missing from TV episode page.

Was there before v0.500 was released.

Thanks.

chessdragon136

Ok, thanks all for the comments!

Background transparency I'm using the same as MBT.. Personally I think it is right for most situations.

As for the random image on home page it is difficult to use the item background as the item could be anything (episode, series, film, and later on images, music...) 

Greyscale images - I much prefer the colour when i looked into it. 

Menu at the top? Not sure what you mean @@CBers -> I only have a menu on the home page and on series / movies page and again is a design element from MBT. It works well.

Text input sucks! I'm rather limited by what Samsung offer in terms of what i can do but I really want to use the qwerty keyboard, but failed last time (but now i have a modern Samsung so can test easily) 

Tools issue you resolved yourself - im sure it does say on login page that it is there and the info button will bring up a nasty looking help screen (also mentioned on the login screen)

I'll carry on working on visual bits this week and then I'll move onto some functional bits this weekend. 

• Like 3

CBers

Menu at the top: I meant that having it on the home page is not needed is it,

seeing as we can use the Tools button to get to the same via the side-menu.

crashkelly

Ok, thanks all for the comments!

Background transparency I'm using the same as MBT.. Personally I think it is right for most situations.

As for the random image on home page it is difficult to use the item background as the item could be anything (episode, series, film, and later on images, music...) 

Greyscale images - I much prefer the colour when i looked into it. 

Menu at the top? Not sure what you mean @@CBers -> I only have a menu on the home page and on series / movies page and again is a design element from MBT. It works well.

Text input sucks! I'm rather limited by what Samsung offer in terms of what i can do but I really want to use the qwerty keyboard, but failed last time (but now i have a modern Samsung so can test easily) 

Tools issue you resolved yourself - im sure it does say on login page that it is there and the info button will bring up a nasty looking help screen (also mentioned on the login screen)

I'll carry on working on visual bits this week and then I'll move onto some functional bits this weekend. 

Hey there,

Thanks again for the work on this.

If you could get the qwerty keyboard up and running that would be awesome.

Now that you mention it I do remember about the help screen message. I think I was just so happy to get past the login page that I forgot about it. That and the disconnect between the fact that the info and tools button is not present on the remote itself and you have to hit the "More" button on the physical remote to bring up the on screen remote. None of the latter is you at all, but with things not being on the physical remote it is easy to forget they exist.

The app itself is awesome my friend, keep it up

Cheers

CrashKelly

zak2725

Thank you Chessdragon136 it did work.

but now when i open the app . i need to enter IP address & port number ??

what ip address ?

help please 

thanks.

FrostByte

The IP address and port of your server.  Most likely the port will be 8096, but you can get that off the dash board in the web client

CBers

Thank you Chessdragon136 it did work.

but now when i open the app . i need to enter IP address & port number ??

what ip address ?

help please

thanks.

The IP address of the PC where MBS is running, along with the port, of which the default is 8096.

zak2725

I tried my go GoFlex Home IP address 192.168.1.13:8096  I'll get (checking Details Please wait) then nothing happen.
it's discoverable by the tv ,
am i doing any thing wrong thanks ?IMG_0144.JPG

Edited by zak2725