Using MCM for metadata management - MB3 not showing description and rating

chjohans
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

chjohans

I just switched from MB2 to MB3, and since I depend on media Center Master to download TV Series I decided to continue to use it's metadata scraper as well. I installed MB3 server and MB3 classic on a new media server which never had MB2 installed.

Problem is, MB3 is not showing description or ratings for most of my movies.Of more than 1000 movies it's only showing description and ratings for maybe 10 or 20 movies. I have verified that all folders have a valid movie.xml file as generated by MCM.

I have configured MB3 not to download artwork and metadata from the internet, but I did enable "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" as I figured this would make MB3 look for metadata in each movie folder. Not that it makes any difference if I disable this option.

I have of course been running "Scan media library", many times. I have also rebuilt all metadata in MCM several times. Nothing seems to make any difference.

Please advise on how I can get this to work, or how to debug this.

I'm also wondering about the ImagesByname folder. Can I get MB3 to update that folder and only that folder, but leave the rest of the metadata alone (eg leave it to MCM to fetch the rest)?

I see there is a scheduled task "refresh people" which I assume will update the "people" folder in ImagesByName, but what about the rest? And will this work even if "Doanload artwork and metedata from the internet" is disabled?

What I want to do is to let MCM handle all metadata except ImagesBynames, which I would like MB3 to handle.

I am not sure about why it wouldn't show those values. That's the first I've heard of this problem. Perhaps it's saving them in an xml tag we're not looking for. Or perhaps there were errors reading the file. you'd have to check the server log to see if there were any errors.

Didn't we recently stop supporting the myriad of different tags that all the different programs were using for things like description and rating?  Or did I mis-read that somewhere?

Edit - referring to this but perhaps this is a different issue.

Ah, okay.  

OP - Can you post an example of one of these movie.xml files please?

chjohans

You are linking back to your first reply, but why? I don't get it, maybe I'm slow but I really don't get it. Can you spell it out please? I've already checked the server log file and no errors there that gives a clue to this.

chjohans

Attached is a zipped file with a movie.xml file for the movie "The Physician". When I look at the matadata in MB3s web interface it is empty, and the movie name is from the filename and not the actual movie name (my filename is very close tho).

So in other words, MB does not seem to recognize the metadata for my movie collection and generally have no idea what movies they are. it shows backdrops and covers tho, I guess it just picks up those based on the filenames.

How to get MB3 to actually recognize my movies?

movie.zip

Happy2Play

A look at your server log may point to why those fields are not being displayed. Can you post one.

Edited by Happy2Play

chjohans

Oh another thing, the user that is running the MB3 server does not have write access to my movies shares, only read access. Does that make a difference? This used to work fine with MB2, and I have configured MB3 not to download any metadata.

The reason I do it like this is to avoid accidental deletions by the rest of my family whom are using WMC as well. We all use the same MB3 user for simplicity.

I also still wonder about the ImagesByname folder. Can I get MB3 to update that folder and only that folder, but leave the rest of the metadata alone (eg leave it to MCM to fetch the rest)? I see there is a scheduled task "refresh people" which I assume will update the "people" folder in ImagesByName, but what about the rest? And will this work even if "Doanload artwork and metedata from the internet" is disabled? What I want to do is to let MCM handle all metadata except ImagesBynames, which I would like MB3 to handle.

But the main issue right now is still to get MB3 to actually recognize my metadata, or rather the movie.xml spesifically.

chjohans

Some bits of info:

I tried to empty the cache and metadata folders under MediaBrowser-server and then scan my metadata again, but that didn't make any difference. But I see that a few of my 1000+ movies have at least their movie name and mdbd ID recongized, but the rest is blank. Very strange.

I also checked the server logfiles but I see no error messages that seems related to this. The only eror messages I find is a few of this type:

2014-04-15 02:58:31.2364 Error - App: Error validating IBN entry

Does not seem related to me, seems to have to do with the "People" database.

chjohans

Some more info:

I have about 100 TV Shows as well, they seems to be somewhat recogniced by MB3. But the "TheTVDB Id" tag os blank, only the "IMDb Id" tag is filled in. Other than that they seem ok. But strange that the TheTVDBId tag is blank as the number is in the series.xml. Attaching my comperssed series.xml for "24" as well.series.zip

we only stopped writing the duplicates but we still read most of them, including this one.

chjohans

Yes, all the movies show up there despite the metadata not being recogniced. And all my TV Series show up in the "TV Shows" view. My media folders should be correctly added as media folders on the server. An example:

I have a "Movies" media folder added as folder type "Movies", and the media location defined is:

\\mynas\video\Movies

video is the share on my NAS, it contain "Movies" and all my movies are placed in that directory each in it's own folder. So the structure is like this:

\\mynas\video\Movies\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003).mp4

\\mynas\video\Movies\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)\backdrop.jpg

\\mynas\video\Movies\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)\folder.jpg

\\mynas\video\Movies\2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)\movie.xml

and so on.

The library structure should be just fine so I don't understand why my metadata is not recogniced.

Maybe I should try to use mapped drives instead of UNC path names? This is how I used to have it set up with MB2 (mapped drives), but I decided to switch to UNC since MB3 supposedly supports that. But that should not make a difference, should it?

I'm beginning to think this is a library structure problem and the items that are not showing metadata are not being recognized as movies.

If you bring up the "Movies" view in the web client (the one at the top, not the media folder you defined) do these items show up there?

chjohans

OK, I stopped the server, deleted the .db files and started the server again and rescanned my library but the problem persists. I've attached the server logs since the restart to this post, I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look.

I'll try and change from UNC paths to mapped drives on the server and see if that makes any difference. I guess it should not, but you never know so I'll try anyhow.

Edit: Server logs deleted to not cause confusion. Sorry about the mistake, will upload new logs in a bit.

Edited by chjohans

chjohans

Hmm seems like it is no longer possible to add a mapped drive as a "media path", that must have changed in one of the recebnt builds because that was possible when I initially installed MB3 not very long ago.

Anyhow I'm at a total loss re what to do next, MB3 simply will not recognize my metadata. Please have a look at the server logs in my previous post someone. Thanks!

Mapped drives will more likely be nothing but trouble.  Don't use them.

These errors look pretty relevant.  Appear to be happening with all your movies.

2014-04-17 20:40:36.2330 Error - App: Error resolving path \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\The Smurfs - 3D (2011)
	Access to the path '\\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\The Smurfs - 3D (2011)' is denied.
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException
	   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
	   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
	   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
	   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFileSystemInfos(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.DirectoryService.GetFileSystemEntries(String path)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.IO.FileData.GetFilteredFileSystemEntries(IDirectoryService directoryService, String path, IFileSystem fileSystem, ILogger logger, ItemResolveArgs args, Int32 flattenFolderDepth, Boolean resolveShortcuts)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ResolvePath(FileSystemInfo fileInfo, IDirectoryService directoryService, Folder parent)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<>c__DisplayClass4c`1.<ResolvePaths>b__4b(FileSystemInfo f)

2014-04-17 20:40:36.8570 Error - App: Error resolving path \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Walking with Dinosaurs - 3D (2013)
	Access to the path '\\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Walking with Dinosaurs - 3D (2013)' is denied.
	   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
	   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFileSystemInfos(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.DirectoryService.GetFileSystemEntries(String path)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.IO.FileData.GetFilteredFileSystemEntries(IDirectoryService directoryService, String path, IFileSystem fileSystem, ILogger logger, ItemResolveArgs args, Int32 flattenFolderDepth, Boolean resolveShortcuts)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ResolvePath(FileSystemInfo fileInfo, IDirectoryService directoryService, Folder parent)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<>c__DisplayClass4c`1.<ResolvePaths>b__4b(FileSystemInfo f)

2014-04-17 20:40:38.8850 Error - App: Error resolving path \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Space Station - 3D (2002)
	Access to the path '\\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Space Station - 3D (2002)' is denied.

2014-04-17 20:40:46.6539 Error - App: Error resolving path \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Up - 3D (2009)
	Access to the path '\\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Up - 3D (2009)' is denied.

2014-04-17 20:40:47.6055 Error - App: Error resolving path \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Texas Chainsaw - 3D (2013)
	Access to the path '\\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Texas Chainsaw - 3D (2013)' is denied.

chjohans

Yes, I saw that too. But it has nothing really to do with the actual error, fixing that at the moment. Just unlucky with the timing, someone else had disabled a share just as I rescanned the media library.

I'll reset my DB and run a new scan and post new server logfiles in a bit, hold on.

Sorry about that. my mistake.

chjohans

Stopped the server and deleted the .db files and did a new scan, my server log is attached.

No errors as far as I can see, but the same problem persists. My TV Shows are recognized fine but not my movies. backdrops, cover and all graphics is shown but MB3  has no idea which movies they are. All metadata from movie.xml is missing, but the movie.xml is there in each and every movie folder. But MB3 is refusing to read any of my movie.xml files.

Please have a look at the attached server log someone.

Disregard the two errors regarding reading two movie directories, that is because the movies share is being synchronized from another server and those two were in the process of synching when I rescanned so the file attributes were not set correctly yet.

This is driving me nuts, seems like MB3 just will not work for me. Maybe I'll try Plex instead, sigh!

(Had to split the log into 3 parts - too big to upload as one file even when compressed)

Also found this post: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5416-server-not-reading-local-metadata/

Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem, what is described in that thread sounds very similar to what i'm experiencing.

Edited by chjohans

chjohans

Sigh, unable to upload the next two parts of my server log, can only upload 300kb more and it's 900kb more to go.

I hope someone will find and fix the bug in MB3, I am pretty sure the problem is with MB3 and not with my setup.

That log fragment doesn't contain any information for any movies.  It is all photos.

moviefan

This behavior sounds similar to the problem I experienced when moving files over that I discussed in this thread:  http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3840-moving-files-to-nas-share-controlled-by-mb/

This was never resolved for me although the frequency of it happening has gotten better and worse over the various server upgrades.

However, if it does happen, the only way for me to get MediaBrowser to update the movie is to manually add the IMDB and rescan.

Maybe wiping out the library database and rescanning from scratch would fix the issue for him?

yea try refreshing an effected title from the edit page, and then post the log from that.

This would provide us the cleanest log to diagnose the issue - as opposed to trying to wade through an entire library scan.

chjohans

Sure, of course I can do that. Randomly picked a movie and did a "refresh", here is the server log entries from that.

2014-04-18 19:37:08.4829 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/edititemmetadata.html?id=7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d&_=1397842493255
2014-04-18 19:37:08.4879 Warn - StringMapTypeDeserializer: Property 'id' does not exist on type 'MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.GetDashboardResource'
2014-04-18 19:37:08.6999 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58070. Response time: 217.0015 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/edititemmetadata.html?id=7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d&_=1397842493255
2014-04-18 19:37:08.9949 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/Ancestors?userId=afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5&_=1397842493256
2014-04-18 19:37:08.9949 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58070. Response time: 0 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/Ancestors?userId=afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5&_=1397842493256
2014-04-18 19:37:09.0149 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/cultures?_=1397842493257
2014-04-18 19:37:09.0149 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/countries?_=1397842493258
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1149 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58073. Response time: 100.0001 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/cultures?_=1397842493257
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1149 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Users/afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d?_=1397842493259
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1149 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58084. Response time: 105.0001 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/countries?_=1397842493258
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1299 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58078. Response time: 110.0001 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Users/afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d?_=1397842493259
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1599 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/ExternalIdInfos?_=1397842493260
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1599 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58078. Response time: 0 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/ExternalIdInfos?_=1397842493260
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1999 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/ParentalRatings?_=1397842493261
2014-04-18 19:37:09.1999 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58084. Response time: 2.5 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/ParentalRatings?_=1397842493261
2014-04-18 19:37:09.4324 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Library/MediaFolders?_=1397842493262
2014-04-18 19:37:09.4324 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/LiveTv/Info?&_=1397842493263
2014-04-18 19:37:09.4374 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58084. Response time: 5.0001 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Library/MediaFolders?_=1397842493262
2014-04-18 19:37:09.4624 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58078. Response time: 30.0001 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/LiveTv/Info?&_=1397842493263
2014-04-18 19:37:09.5124 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Users/afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5/Items?ParentId=a36b9e28bac8cbebf541c837619b3cbb&Fields=Settings&SortBy=SortName&_=1397842493264
2014-04-18 19:37:09.5474 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58078. Response time: 35 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Users/afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5/Items?ParentId=a36b9e28bac8cbebf541c837619b3cbb&Fields=Settings&SortBy=SortName&_=1397842493264
2014-04-18 19:37:09.5844 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/css/images/editor/missingtrailer.png
2014-04-18 19:37:09.5844 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/css/images/editor/missinglogo.png
2014-04-18 19:37:09.5934 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58078. Response time: 9.0005 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/css/images/editor/missingtrailer.png
2014-04-18 19:37:09.5934 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58084. Response time: 20.0012 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/css/images/editor/missinglogo.png
2014-04-18 19:37:43.0594 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP POST http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/Refresh?forced=true&recursive=true
2014-04-18 19:37:46.4844 Debug - App: Running MovieXmlProvider for \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Captain America The First Avenger - 3D (2011)\Captain America The First Avenger - [HSBS] (2011).mp4
2014-04-18 19:37:47.6394 Debug - App: Running RottenTomatoesProvider for \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Captain America The First Avenger - 3D (2011)\Captain America The First Avenger - [HSBS] (2011).mp4
2014-04-18 19:37:47.6444 Debug - App: Running FFProbeProvider for \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Captain America The First Avenger - 3D (2011)\Captain America The First Avenger - [HSBS] (2011).mp4
2014-04-18 19:37:47.6444 Debug - App: Saving \\CUBESTATION-03\video\Movies (3D)\Captain America The First Avenger - 3D (2011)\Captain America The First Avenger - [HSBS] (2011).mp4 to database.
2014-04-18 19:37:47.6594 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 127.0.0.1:58084. Response time: 4605.0064 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/Refresh?forced=true&recursive=true
2014-04-18 19:37:47.6944 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Users/afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d?_=1397842493265
2014-04-18 19:37:47.6944 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58084. Response time: 5 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Users/afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d?_=1397842493265
2014-04-18 19:37:47.7044 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/ExternalIdInfos?_=1397842493266
2014-04-18 19:37:47.7044 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58084. Response time: 5 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Items/7f3602700b87cf84f99cb5bf1446873d/ExternalIdInfos?_=1397842493266
2014-04-18 19:37:47.7394 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/ParentalRatings?_=1397842493267
2014-04-18 19:37:47.7394 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 127.0.0.1:58078. Response time: 5 ms
Url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Localization/ParentalRatings?_=1397842493267

Thanks for all the assistance with this so far  :)